Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-22-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Anyone have a workbench that they really like? I need to build one for my garage that is sturdy and I can mount a vise and maybe a grinder/buffer. Please share pictures. Thanks!
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/w...h/below20.html
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=50406
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-22-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
No actual plans but I might add that if you have a table saw you should match the work bench hight to match. Comes in handy with sheet goods.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-22-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
I just use my tool box that has 1/4 plate on top. I have a vise mounted on top and have literally beat the living daylights out of things on it. Built transmissions and transfer cases on top, welded things, used die grinders, along with many smaller and finer jobs.

Wood tops suck as they absorb the hammer blows and soak up the oil. Plus they are not smooth and easily gouge. Much of it depends on what you plan to do with your work bench. Mine gets used all the time. You can easily build one out of wood then skin it with a heavy gauge steel.

If it were me I would build it out of 2x2x1/4 steel square tubing, with a 1/4 top, if not bigger. Heck I would have a welding table if I could.

BTW it is hard to beat a Craftsman vise for the price.

My bench grinder is on a pedestal mount. I put wheels on most of my larger equipment that didn't already come with it.

You can also keep your eyes open for a steel bench out of an auto shop closing down. They tend to be fairly heavy duty for the most part.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-22-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
I looked all over for plans before I built mine. never found anything that I liked so I came up with an idea and built it out....

You can see most of it in this pic. It is wired, has a total of 10 outlets on it, so when it is in the garage i can plug it into the wall and have juice. The BEST feature are the casters. The legs are 4x4 with casters on each. This way I can roll it outside, do any cutting and sanding \, whatever and when I am done break the blower out and I am cleaned up in 30 secs. no sweeping and dust pans...

the little shelf on the side is set to the perfect height for my mitre saw which goes a LONG way in making great trim cuts etc.

Oh, and that thing is so strong i could have group of strippers dancing on it and it would not even sway.
Attached Images

Last edited by zo1; 03-22-2010 at 7:33 PM.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-22-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
Here's a workbench I made last year. Probably not what your looking for but you may be interested. The top is 3/8" steel. I put receiver hitch mounts around it so I could mount saws, vice, etc. The extension for the table slides into them also.
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2010, 10:41 PM Reply   
I was thinking about building my own bench for work space and adding space. Then, searched Amazon and decided to buy this beast. Its awesome!
Attached Images

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-22-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
Brett, now that is what I am talking about! Nice looking welds too. I would have something like that if I didn't have so many tool boxes and large tools taking up my garage. So instead I just beat the heck out of my tool box. At least it is warrantied for life, and if I can break it I get a new one
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-23-2010, 5:25 AM Reply   
Brett, awesome desing! When I get around to learning how to weld I'll have to try to copy that!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-23-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
are those Viszla's (sp) GD? Good looking dogs! A lot of people on wakeworld like viszla's
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-23-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
Anyone have a workbench that they really like? I need to build one for my garage that is sturdy and I can mount a vise and maybe a grinder/buffer. Please share pictures. Thanks!
There is a basic workbench design that has been standardized and is very popular among aircraft builders. I have two of these tables in my shop (one with a vice and carpet top and another plain) and they are awesome. They are very sturdy and the top stays true and flat. Heavy and sturdy enough to not shift around but still easy enough to move.

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
IMO, you can't beat a steel workbench. Check harbor freight. They've got some inexpensive ones.

That said...... If you're into wood working projects it's nice to have a wood bench with some masonite on top of it. Right now I'm making a mess of my masonite bench doing dirtbike projects. Once I get around to a little garage re-arrange I'll be getting one of the harbor freight benches.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92114

or this for a lighter duty one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94309
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
This is what I got at Amazon with free 2 day shipping and no taxes...

FRAME:

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2910...9373135&sr=8-3

MAPLE TOP:

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G9915-..._bxgy_hi_img_b

Together they weight over 150 lbs.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-23-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have one very similair to this, that i got at a company auction. It has an electric moror that raises / lowers the bench height, top and side shelving, electrical plugs and an overhead light. It weighs a ton.

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-25-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
Excellent job guys! That gives me a lot to think about. Thanks