Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-20-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
O.k. time to put that sucker away. I left my last one on a hanger in the garage, and the seals were toast by November. So I'm thinking I should put it away, in a plastic box or something (to keep more UVs out), but should I keep it dry, or humid in there? Is there something I shoulds treat it with before I store it? Appreciate any reccommendations - Jeff
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-20-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
Ever hear of those space bags? I think those would work well and keep it in a closet in your basement. And damn you for being able to hang yours up for the summer. I don't even have open water to use mine on yet.
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-20-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
Before you put it up be sure to clean inside/out with soap/water. Then hang it up - I usually hang mine inside out first (let that completely dry), zip it up and hang it up rightside out. When it is completely dry, treat the zipper(s) with zipper lube (wax stick) and wipe all of the latex seals with 303 protectant. I keep my work suit folded up in a canvas bag to protect it from tears/dirt/UV and pull it out every once in a while of nonuse to check and wipe down the seals again with 303. I have one that is 5 years old and one that is 3 years old and the seals are still like new.
Don't use any other "similar" protectant because a lot of them dry out the latex.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
Go to your local dive shop and get the McNett products for preserving your dry suit. Store it in a carboard box in a heated portion of the house.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-22-2004, 3:39 AM Reply   
This is what the old divers do to there suits (It works, because they seem to hate buying new equipment, hahaha) Wash it, dry it well (like glen said). Vasaline the zippers. For all the rubber on the suit, cover nicely with talcum powder (side note: talcum powder is also great for getting glitter off you, haha). Then store in airtight bag (as Mark said) in a dry area. (the garage isn't best).
Old    jetgofish            03-22-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
I've been told by my drysuit rep NOT to fold the suit. Folding the seals creates a crease which degrigates the seal. I do every Glen said, then hang in a dry cleaning zip bag in the back of the hall closet that isn't opened all the time, the temp remains cool and it's out of sun or any other light!
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Store it at my house.
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-23-2004, 7:03 AM Reply   
I have hung a suit before but I don't hang it with a standard hangar through the neck seal- I folded it over once and hung it from the mid-section. I have to keep my folded up and in a bag at work - I am just careful not fold the neck/wrist/ankle seals and to minimize folding of the zippers. The important thing it so keep the seals wiped down with 303.

Old    wakeboard_iraq            03-24-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
Jeff,

I was about ready to ask the same question - thanks for bringing it up.

Ok, so where does one get the 303?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-25-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
Jim, check their website, you can buy it on there for a good discount off of store prices. Jsut do a search for it.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            03-25-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
Ok, I'm on the website but I dont know which 303 product is appropriate. Dont see "drysuit seals" - you gotta work with me - I'm kind of like Pavlov's dog, need the light and bell to figure things out. haha
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-25-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
Here ya go:

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant
Old    wakeboard_iraq            03-25-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
Thanks.

(Message edited by wakeboard_iraq on March 25, 2004)
Old    jetgofish            03-25-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
Looks like I'll be making a dash to my local Ace Hardware to pick some of this stuff up! Thanks for all the help and Glen, I wish my drysuit folded down that small! Do you wear that suit for riding or rescues only?
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-25-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Rescues mainly - most of our stuff is swiftwater (flooding) and the drysuit minimizes the exposure to all the crap - literally. It's never really that cold here (at least for too long) to wear it riding. I've tried it once but prefer just a full(thin) wetsuit and hot-water shower.
Get the gallon - 303 is great for everything in a boat - just don't use it on your tires - too expensive.
Old    loc            03-27-2004, 10:32 PM Reply   
If you use a hanger be sure to use a real thick one. I'm talking like 2-3" thick. A plain old wire hanger will tare right through neoprene. You can make one w/ any material & some duct-tape or buy a real one at the dive store.