Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    xtremebordgurl            11-04-2003, 12:07 AM Reply   
No right or wrong here, just curious what everyone thinks about Cable Wakeboarding, have you ever tried it? If not have u ever seen it? What do you think of it? Feel free to diss it or confess how much ya luv it. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Old    lachlantait            11-04-2003, 1:28 AM Reply   
Never tried it myself, looks hard as hell to me. have obviously then seen it.
still havent come to terms on how they actually do it wen that ropes gets slack then whips them up must take a hell of alot of strength!
good for people the stuffed knees though aparently heeps softer on the landings
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-04-2003, 4:36 AM Reply   
I have never tried it. It seems like a pretty big advantage to help learn. I wish there were a cable park near me.
Old    wakelvr            11-04-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
Bess, sorry to get off subject, but that's a fantastic profile pic you did! Very nice job!
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
Looks boring
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-04-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Looks like a good way to learn sliders and kickers.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-04-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
i'm surprised there aren't more posts from those that have ridden at one...

my friends and i spent two hours at owc. it was great fun. definitely a different experience. it would be awesome to have that to go practice at every night. seems like an incredible unfair advantage to those that have the opportunity.

i guess if you can ride behind a boat everyday its no big deal, but for the majority of people that only get out once a week or so, it would be great to have a park nearby that you could just hit up for an hour in the evening after work. plus, for those of us that have no place to hit sliders its an excellent opportunity to get that kind of experience also of course.

remember shawn murray says he learned a tweety-bird before a whirly-bird (a tweety-bird being an air whirly bird done w/o the use of a wake). my guess is he did that at a cable park first and then took it to the boat. as did darin with the layout/raley.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-04-2003, 10:39 PM Reply   
They are fun but not as fun as riding behind a boat. Here is a cable pic of me riding.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-04-2003, 10:39 PM Reply   
They are fun but not as fun as riding behind a boat. Here is a cable pic of me riding.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-04-2003, 10:48 PM Reply   
If you're a slider freak like myself, its great fun! and getting huge air on the corners is an experience! and acctually quite easy for beginners.
I prefere a boat, but its still a good time. I would give anything to ride a cable right now.

(Message edited by kristian on November 04, 2003)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-04-2003, 11:03 PM Reply   
they are a blast for a change up. i have made the 2 hour trek to OWC 3 or 4 times before i got hurt. and even twice since i have been hurt. easy way to hit kickers and sliders in rapid succession.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-05-2003, 5:24 PM Reply   
Stefani, thanx about the pic. I used paint shop pro.

I've ridden at OWC a bunch of times, and I've checked out the one in deerfield and the one in montreal. I suppose I should post my own opinion, I think cable parks are great. Cause you get to meet a bunch of people, you get more riding time, get to try ur hand at obstacles, and they make wakeboarding more accessible to the people that may not be able to afford a boat, or even a high end board. Cause u can rent the board as well. I hope more cable parks pop up arround the US, I think the sense community and comaraderie that wakeboarding promotes could really help a lot of people. Did you know that there are only 4 cable parks in all of north america?!?! 2 in Fl, one in Texas and one in Montreal. Just out of curiosity, how many people would be willing to contribute/help setup/promote cables arround north america?
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-05-2003, 10:51 PM Reply   
cabke kicks ass. if your a good boat rider it's not hard to pick up at all. i ride the cable every day during the summer and as often as i can during the school months. defenatly helps out behind the boat.
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-06-2003, 1:11 AM Reply   
cali needs one bad.......
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-06-2003, 5:41 AM Reply   
If a cable park were to be setup in Cali where do you guys think the best location would be?
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-06-2003, 6:27 PM Reply   
Any other opinions/feedback for locations in Cali? Anybody?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
I vote for Orange County, since we don't have a lake "well Irvine lake but that doesn't really count" anyway OC is pretty central, LA, San Diego, Riverside, Corona. Has a great board sport culture. Man if they built one I bet they would make a fortune.

Though I have never ridden one, I kinda agree with the fact that it's not the same as behind a boat, but man it still looks a like a hell of a lot of fun! I could see it attracting a lot of people that have never wakeboarded before, would be a whole scene.

An OC Cable Park is on my most wanted wish list. okok well after winning the lottery, but if I do that, I will build a cable park for OC with part of my winnings LOL

Cheers
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-09-2003, 4:27 PM Reply   
I would love to get off work in the morning, and go ride the cable for a couple hours, then go home. Orange County would definitely be the place to have a cable park.

Wuttup Jon?!
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-09-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
I think the resivoir off the 5 on the way back to L.A. from Castaic would be a prime location for a cable park....No one drinks the tap water in L.A. anyway!
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-22-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
I heard that they tried toput one in but for some reason it didn't work out.. anyone know if there is any truth to that? If so what happened?
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-22-2003, 3:36 PM Reply   
How do they charge, how many riders go at a time, how many through in an hour, etc.? Anybody know?

Might be a stupid question, but has anybody let Santa know?
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-22-2003, 4:08 PM Reply   
Land in Cali is a premium, that is why there is not one here already. Besides the environmentalists and politicians need to be greased as well, nobody has the funds to pull it off. Yet...
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-22-2003, 5:29 PM Reply   
Nick, you forgot to mention the water shortage...
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-22-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
Derek, there is no limit to how many riders per hr (that I know of), its jus that the lines get longer along with the wait as more people come. It depends on the size of the cable how many riders can ride at a time. Generally the wait isn't too bad, but I've only ridden at OWC and I've only been during the week, so that may explain it. When we went to check out Ski Rixen there were only like 4-5 people there an there was no wait at all, unfortunately it was jus a short stop between school visits so I didn't get to ride it.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-22-2003, 9:47 PM Reply   
I think it looks like a blast. There's a club outside of Montreal "Le Beach Club" They've brought in a whole scene there that has multiple clubs, music and beach volley ball like you wouldn't believe. I just watched the re-run I have on tape of "World of Wakeboarding" They did have the number of people they could handle in an hour and at one time on it but it escapes me right now.
Old     (maristar210)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-28-2003, 6:23 PM Reply   
cant wait untill april 1st for kc watersports to open, allthough ive never been to a cable park, it seems like fun check out www.kcwatersports.com
Old    wav            12-29-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
HEYHEY

I never tried cable park and cant wait to try it this summer. Its more affortable than a boat but looks different, personnaly i dont think its is better thatn behind a boat(where is the wake ??) hehe anyways as long as i ride !! im lucky to have one of the only 4 cable parks in north america just 5 minutes from where i live
Old    andzei            12-29-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
no, i dont like it:P, i have been in latvian cable park, but its looks i guess its not for wakeboarding, because there no sliders/kickers and ropes are too long:P
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-29-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
Yeah that park in Montreal is quite the setup, I went to their wakefest thing last summer, my question is, what do they do with it in the winter? Cause that seems to be everyone's reasonong for not putting a cable park up north cause you can't do anything with it in the winter but the BC Cable Park seems to be do'n alright, whats the secret?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-29-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
I honestly don't know, it would make sense to convert it to a snowboarding setup in the winter once the ice is thick enough but I'm not sure.