Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
I just got off the phone with United Airlines. To fly with a wakeboard (they consider a special item) will cost $125 each way. So I asked how about a snowboard? He said that would be considered a check bag equivalent which would be $15 each way. You can carry a snowboard in one bag with your boots in a separate bag all for $15. Same goes for water skis, snow skis and golf clubs (all $15). They have a wakeboard classified in the same group as a surfboard and luge board. Why not just go by weight or size?. By the way, the cost to overnight a wakeboard by UPS (if they use the dimensional weight as opposed to actual weight) will cost about the same thing. Of course the airlines know this I'm sure.

I'm wandering how often they actually check inside the bag. I know Ronix is coming out with their "Golf Series" bag and seems like another company already has one.

For anyone who has flown recently with a wakeboard, what has been your experience?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!!! Tell them anything, tell em it's a snowboard. How many airport workers know the difference? My last experience had the airline not know what a wakeboard was, when they tried to call it a snowboard, I was adamant it was different. Since they had no plan for a wakeboard it came on free.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-16-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Tell them it's a ski. They wont know the difference. I'm not just pulling this out of my a$$, that's what I did.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-16-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
This has been discussed several times this summer. My son traveled the past 2 weekends (Worlds in OKC, and Surf Expo) Delta airlines ask what it was and he told them it was a water ski, they let it go for free. Northwest didn't ask what is was but they charged $15 each way. If you tell any airline it is a wakeboard they put it in the class as a surf board and charge $100plus and United told you. Tell them it is a trick ski.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-16-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
curbside check in and a 5 dollar bill, thats all you gotta do.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
Yup, curbside is money when your overweight(luggage) or extra. 5-10 bucks goes a long ways there.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
And when you're super late!!
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
I was thinking of telling them it was a snowboard or ski. That's way I was wandering if they actually look into the bag. You're right though, not many if any are going to know what it is. Haven't thought about the extra tip at curbside though.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-16-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
ronix make a golf bag to disguise your board. Get it! Worth the money. I bought one from best kiteboarding same thing basically and have NEVER had to pay to fly with my boards!
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
We said snowboard to united every time we flew to the tour stops this year. No problems. U.S.Airways and others have made snowboards and things 100 bucks so we dont fly them anymore.
Old     (joran)      Join Date: May 2008       09-16-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
yeah, just use a snowboard bag, my snowboard bag is padded real tough and has pockets for boots (bindings) and has lots of room left over since snowboards are longer than wakeboards. Otherwise, DHL shipping is about 35 and takes four days :\
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-16-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
Check out the Slingshot Board Bag... "Tour Series Golf"

http://buyslingshotsports.com/wake/2008_wake_goods_bags.htm
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-16-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
I try and only fly Southwest...they don't care what it is -it's always free.
Old     (kylepower8)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
I usually dont tell them anything, if they ask, its a snowboard. Pretty funny on those flights to florida. Hahaha.
Old     (mnwake45)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
I only flew with my board once about 4 years ago down to Florida to go to WWC, I don't remember how much they (Southwest) Charged me, but it wasn't to much.

Of course....it wasn't until we got into Orlando that we found out our boards had been put on a flight to Alaska....literally the opposite direction from Orlando when we were flying out of Minneapolis.... Of course it was kind of funny in an ironic way, and the boards were delivered to the camp the very next day so it worked out lol.
We did curbside check in that time and like I said I don't remember it costing much extra, maybe 15-20 bucks...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-16-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
Alex is flying back from Expo tomorrow on Northwest, so I will let you know, when they ask he always says it's water ski stuff, it's worked for years, at least 15 flights this year, but the airlines are looking for money anyway they can get it right now.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
I usually don't tell them anything.

My old board bag that I had for 8+ years went through the wars, it was dirty, smelly, all round pretty disgusting. Most of the time they just wanted it out of the way and didn't dare open it, haha. I flew so much with it and was only ever questioned once. Eventually it had to be retired because it fell apart.

haven't had any problems with the new bag. I just say its a snowboard if asked and so far haven't had to pay anything extra.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
So snowboard and wakeboard bags aren't considered as being oversized? I assume they still have to fall under the 50 lb rule?

I was thinking of using a snowboard bag to transport all of my gear to florida, since I too fly NOrthwest and you have to pay for all of your luggage. In the end, I didn't do it so I brought a rolling luggage piece and a wakeskate in an old cassette bag. The weird thing was on my flight back, I think the luggage lady was going to try and charge me extra. She was asking me what was inside of it and she was messing around on her computer and such. Then she finally asked me if I bought it there, and I was like no, I brough it with me and now I'm leaving. What's even more lame is it's well under the luggage mesaurement requirement. I was just annoyed by that, and I think re-affirms what randy said about airlines trying to get money wherever they can. ARRGH!!

I can't even talk about this anymore!
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-17-2008, 5:05 AM Reply   
Checked a bag with my Roam, Murray and a set of Murray boots this weekend to go to Expo. Had no problems on Air Tran, but I did tell them it was ski equipment. Most airlines lump wakeboards in with surfboards under their sports equipment policy. I have never had them consider my bad oversized though.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-17-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
At United the size of the wakeboard would be classified as oversized since it more than 62 linear inches. But they list all the sports equipment as "special items" and they fall into either checked bag equivalent, standard or large ($15, $125 or $250). This must override the size restrictions since a snowboard and water skis go as $15.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-17-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
I am always scared to tell them its any type of board so I say it's camping gear. It worked the last 2 times. United charged me 100.00 because it was over 62" linear. Curb side is good idea as well. It all depends on the airlines and the person you deal with. I try and be as nice as possible because alot of the time the atendents are stressed out from the customers screaming at them so it helps to be cool to them.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-17-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Northwest will now only curbside check bags that you pay the fee online at home. Curbside agents cannot take the $15 payment. They may change this over time. Last week they were making everyone go inside to a counter agent.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-17-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
I flew United to TSR this summer and I was worried about the same thing. But when i checked my board bag on, all they cared about was that it was under 50 lbs. They never asked what was in the bag so I never had to pay any extra money. Just act chill when you check the bag on, or better yet, try to check it on at curbside. If they question you, just tell them its ski's.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-17-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
I flew Delta to Mexico...she asked what was in the bag and that was the end of it. No fee at all.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-17-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
I flew with my board to Florida last december and told them it was a snowboard. They looked at me funny and asked what I was doing with a snowboard in Florida.....I laughed and told them I was taking it to my brothers. And on my way back to Washington, they didn't question it :-)

This was all before they charged an extra $50 bucks just for a second bag, no matter what the weight.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-17-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Alex got out of Orlando today for only the $15.00 1st bag charge (northwest) they didn't even ask.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-17-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Looks like I'll be taking my wakeboard, I mean water ski, on as checked baggage then. Thanks for all the input.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
I always use the snowboard story and a sky cap if possible.

Yes, they all have to be under 50 lbs. or you will get an extra charge.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
My, Murray board & bindings, Roam, helmut, jacket and some clothes and shoes in one board bag was 60" and under 50lbs. Had no problem getting it on the plane.
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-18-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
I always say golf clubs and the person says "oh golf clubs" wink wink, and it always works.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-18-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
I've never flown before so don't laugh, but what is a skycap and how does it work?