Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    design_guy            03-02-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
I heard that California might be passing a law to outlaw wakesurfing. I'm not sure of the details but it's from a very reliable source in the wakeboard industry. If CA passes it you know other states will follow suit. I'm going to contact the WSIA and the WWA, when I get more info I will post.
Old    cabalisticfire            03-02-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
There's been quite a bit of discussion about this on various boards. Here is the link to the SF Chronical article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/02/19/BUGKI53LHK1.DTL

Here's the bill its self:
ftp://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_...introduced.html

Yep, this is a bad thing for our sport. We need ot make some noise and let law makers know that this law, which is targeted at teak surfers, is going to make our safe sport illegal.
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-27-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
I have heard the same at some of the lakes in Arizona as well. Pleasant and Bartlett to name a few. Does anyone know if this is true or not??

Kyle D.

Old     (djmann270)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-27-2004, 6:39 PM Reply   
They were tring to pass a law to outlaw surfing, but they decided it is a safe sport. It is not outlawed and it is not ilegal. So keep on surfing!
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-28-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
My mother & father in laws just took a class with the local coast guard on boating. This was a big problem with them and it's not looking good for us. Their problem is carbon monoxide poisoning. Riders go for long rides taking it all in and it takes like 48hrs to clear your system of it. They are seeing too many case of it due to wake surfing. I'm going to try to make a class with them sometime and talk with the coast guard instructor for more info. This last summer we spent a lot of time back there and only had one guy get dizzy & sick feeling.
Old    heirborn            04-28-2004, 6:48 PM Reply   
I just had a fresh air exhaust installed in my boat. I took it out for the first time this weekend but did not have enough time to surf behind it. Ended up that it rained all weekend. It puts the exhaust below the water line and the tests that have been run show that it "scrubs" the exhaust to clean the bad stuff out. I did notice that the exhaust is toned down, you can hear the stereo better and it is much easier to talk to people in the boat. I hope to get it in the water and surf this weekend. It will be nice not smelling all the nasty stuff. Go to freashairexhaust.com to learn. I know they have been working on educating folks about it too. And no, I don't work for them, just think it is a great idea.
Old    the_intern            04-30-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
They did not allow wakesurfing in California. Studies in the last year by TS and the USCG that have shown that a wakesurfer at 10' behind the boat recieves less exposure to CO then anyone riding a tube up to 80 ft behind the boat any speed up to 25 mph. The people sitting in the back of the boat are in much more danger.
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
We need to be patient reg. this, its all about educating the right people
in the legislator, I know Rick Lee of Centurion boats has been very involved
along with the directors of WSIA. We have more meeting this May, so lets keep our finger crossed.

Old    the_intern            05-03-2004, 4:32 PM Reply   
I ment to say they did not outlaw wakesurfing in California. It was late in the day.