Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (superairguy)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-16-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
Well, I broke my 2009 CWB transcend platinum a few weeks back. So, I e-mail the shop and CWB (with pics of the board) and tell them I need a replacement ASAP as I have a contest that weekend (one week away). The shop informs me that a replacement will be on the way but the board will be a standard core; platinums are no longer made. My reply: "I do not believe this is fair as I paid more for the platinum and the standard core is cheaper". Their reply: "Well, CWB will only send the regular core board".

What!!That is like buying a Lexus and receiving a Toyota when the car breaks down?? You should receive something of equal value! Should I not have received a DB9 or partial refund??

Five days go by, no shipping information. So I call the shop and they say they are still waiting on my board from CWB. My reply: "You have the board in stock, just ship me one and keep the one you receive from CWB". Their reply: "Sorry, we did not think of that, one is on the way". So now finally, two weeks later, I receive the 142 transcend.

Sorry CWB, but this does not cut it. If anybody wants to buy a brand new 2010 CWB Transcend - 142.. Let me know.

What does everyone else think? Agree? Or do you think this is fair?

P.S. No, I did not pay retail and had only had the board for two months.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-16-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
I was under the impression most companies give a direct replacement if not in stock the give the next level up board. So I am completely in agreement with you with the exception of the time frame that you wanted it in. While I understand that you had a competition the next week I doubt that any company would be willing to fill that time frame.

That said I feel you are completely justified and being displeased with how the situation was resolved.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
My Marius platty snapped i got a DB9 just had to pay 100 bucks more. You just gotta know how to talk to people and who to talk to. Should have dealt with C-dub directly.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-16-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
You should be more mad at the shop for "not thinking about that" rather than CWB.

Also, how do you expect to get the same board back when they don't even make platty's anymore? You should be stoked that your getting brand new board rather than complaining. Besides, you didn't even pay retail. Just my opinion.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-17-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yeah, be mad at the shop. I had the same thing happen, and they offered me some gear to make up for the price difference. Also offered me a DB9 if I kicked in some, which is understandable as the MSRP is higher than the platinum was.
As for the timeframe.....totally your shop's fault. Broke mine on Tuesday. I went straight through CWB (bought for boarders mall....we all know that story) sent pics on wed, and had my new board on Friday for my trip. The shipping was comp'd as for part of the difference in price between the platty and standard.
Same story when I broke the 2nd one (except for the expedited shipping), and had it in a week.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-17-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
The first thing i thought of when i started reading this thread is what B Poser said, "How do you expect to get a platty when they dont even produce/have any in their warehouse?"....thats kinda ignorant to be upset about not getting a platty when they dont even have them. Ill use your analogy....if you bought a lexus and need it "warrantied", but toyota stopped making lexus, and they "replace" your lexus with a brand spankin new toyota fully loaded, can you really be upset for recieving a new toyota when you went into the warranty knowing they dont even make the lexus anymore? But then i kept reading your thread and you then stated that they should replace it with the DB9. I completely understand your rational. But idk about other wake companies, but i know c-dub uses "price difference" in their warranty program if you negotiate that with them. You gotta understand that cwb isnt going to automatically assume that since you had a platty that your gonna want a DB9 cause its closes in price to the plattys. You bought a transcend cause you like the shape of your transcend, so (because of price) why would they throw you a DB9 which happens to be a continuous rocker board, very simple and smooth bottom shape, and the closest size to a 142 being a 144?? The DB9 is a completely different board all together than a transcend. They are not going to assume that you care more about a stiffer board than the shape of the board. Take it from me, i rode my 08 and 09 transcend all last season and now on the Faction which is the same exact shape as the DB9, just a foam core, and they are totally different boards. If you were to call CWB and let them know that you want it warrantied with a DB9, then you would have to pay the price difference because the DB9 is more expensive than what the plattys were, hence another reason why the wouldnt throw you a DB9. Last year I wanted a Pure after i snapped my 09 transcend and all i had to tell them was, "Hey, if you guys can send me a pure instead of a transcend i'd appreciate it.....dont worry, i dont care that the pure is a cheaper board in price, you guys can keep that money (cause they're already losing money off warranties), i just want the pure." They had no problem and I got the pure a few days later.

C-Dubs warranty program is honestly the best warranty program in the industry HANDS DOWN! They dont make you send back the board, all you gotta do is send them pics, u dont have to pay for shipping, and its lifetime warranty. They are really really easy to work with, you just gotta directly work with them if you want to get things fast and done right.

P.S. How mush you selling the 2010 for?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-17-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
So let me get this straight, you expect them to replace a board you bought on clearance with a board that sells for about 300.00 more than what you paid? I understand the Platty's sold for more, but if my memory serves me correctly, they didn't sell for the same price as the DB9. Like Codi said, you bought a Transcend, is CWB supposed to automatically send you a DB9 because it is their most expensive board?

If you bought a 2009 Lexus at closeout pricing, and something happened, do you honestly think that Lexus would send you their top of the line 2010 without you making up the price difference?

There is no sense for you to be a baby and bash CWB for sending you a board (so what if it is the regular core Transcend) that sells for more than what you paid for the board you broke.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-17-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Some people have come on here and posted legit issues with companies and generally gotten good results. Of course that encourages others to complain and expect the same results. I hope someone at CWB reads this....Zane Schwenk does not have to personally deliver a new board to this kid to save your reputation, I've had good experiences with customer service and I'm sure plenty others have as well.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-17-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
i agree with Soli about dealing with CWB directly. but in reply to Steven's response about "While I understand that you had a competition the next week I doubt that any company would be willing to fill that time frame" .....i had to get my aa boots warrantied and i had a contest that following weekend and they overnighted me some new ones. i just had to pay the difference between ground shipping and overnight express. CWB will definitely do their best to get you what you need but i suggest going directly to their warranty department/manager instead of the dealer you purchased from originally.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-18-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
I could see if you chipped in that you might be able to make it work. I was solely referring to hey I broke it today and you have to get it to me in the next x # of days....that's all I was referring too.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
I had the exact same thing happen last yr to me. Bought a platty, broke it the said they would replace it with a standard core and I said well I spent more. Long story short the sent me a pair of 09 Zues and the reg transcend. It was 09 though.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
One question. Did you even bring up that you woul dlike a DB9. maybe they didn't ship you a DB because they are completely different shapes. In my mind they were replacing what you had with teh best thing that they had. Did you ask?
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
i would of asked since the item was discontinued, to just get an in-store credit instead of letting them pick my board, and then just paid the difference for the board i wanted. Most companies are cool with doing something like that.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2010, 3:36 AM Reply   
tissues
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-20-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
The C dub bashing is uncalled for. Most guys who ride comps have two boards incase they break one.
I think your car anaolgy is a bit off, is the platty actually that noticable? I've ridden the Absolute standard and platty and could barely notice the difference while riding. (could be because I suck .......... ;p)
You're main issue here really is with your board shop.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
I highly doubt the majority of people going to contests bring a back-up, outside of Pros. Seems like the boardshop has that fake kind of good customer service
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Who cares if the Platty makes a difference. They sure seem to think so in CWB marketing. Also you pay for the lighter core. So therefore should be compensated for you purchase with an equal valued board.

Kinda like buying a car, say a 5 series BMW. If that broke and they tried to replace it with a 3 series, well you get the point.

And i am not bashing CWB, they have only hooked me up as explained in my previous post. The platty cores had problems, it happens, i know they made it right for many people. Seems like you shop is the problem. Good luck.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-20-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Yeah Rob, but if you bought a 09 5 series at almost half off, you think it wouldn't be appropriate to replace with a 2010 3 series that is close to the same price you paid for the 09?

If the dude bought the platty, and paid full price, I think he should be compensated with a DB9 (maybe he pays shipping or gives like 50.00 to make up the difference). Since he got it on close out, I think CWB has treated him fairly.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-22-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
A few things about this bother me, first and formost don't blame CWB for you lack of reserch and knowledge on warrenty and new products. second you can only partially blame your shop for not letting you know that they dont make the "Platty", in all honesty you are lucky the wakeboard industry is as cool as they are to give you a new board the new model a year newer.

Lets be serious here guys, What company in the right mind would actually replace thier product in full after it has been used/abused for a year ie; left in the sun, sat in the water and thrown around on the ground and in and out of the truck "like a pro, cus its free replacement".

And dont say "I treat my board very well", If your ride alot (3-6 sets a week) your are probably pretty good at healside jumpys to the flats. How many of these hard uncontrolled landings at 23+ mph to the flats with your knees straight does it take to exert soo much force that you go right through a 1' thick (max) peice of foam that they have shaved down and made lighter so you can go higher, a month worth.. 2 months worth, or in your case a year worth of abuse.

conclusion:
What have you done for your board company lately? have you taught a friend to ride then convinced him to buy his own CWB? You should..
We are all lucky that the wakeboard companies like CWB have our backs.
Do your research and talk to people and use the internet prior to having issues, so when you have a problem it really is "THIER fault and not yours"

I RIDE FOR CWB AND THEY HAVE BEEN GREAT TO ME AND MY CREWS ON THE CALI DELTA.
KP
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
you tell them KP. GET THEM STRAIGHT. LOL
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-22-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
I'm with KP on this one.

Be happy they warrnanty it at all. Most warranty for ANY product outside of wakeboarding is for defective products - not abused products.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
^ How strange that a person sponsored by a company would come to the defense of that company.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
^So what, is it wrong to stand up for a company that sponsors you, even when said company did the right thing? The OP is being a douche and you are following in his footsteps. Congratulations!!!!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-23-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
I'm a CWB rider and I am not sponsored and I think it is absolutely ridiculous that warranty covers use and abuse. I'll be glad as hell that they do when I snap my Transcend - but from a business perspective it is ridiculous.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Careful, son!!

The internet might seem anonymous, but you might not know much about the person on the other end (whom I believe you just called a douche?)

It might be somebody who has been around a while and knows some people. It also might be somebody who has information relevant to this current topic that you do not have.

You are correct, KP is doing what he is supposed to do as a sponsored rider - he is trying to be a good PR person for his company. My point was that as a compensated representative, his contribution to the current discussion obviously is biased.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
"It also might be somebody who has information relevant to this current topic that you do not have."

I believe the OP gave all the "relevant" information. You contributed nothing.

P.S. You made a douche-sounding comment, so I'm calling you out on it.
Old     (skyler_25)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
that sounds like you mistake man. but when they dont make the platinum anymore, what are they suppose to do? the give you the board you orginally had. if you really cant deal with the 1 or 2 pound difference, i mean come on. i bet you ride it and cant even tell. if you wanted the db9 then you should have told them that and they probably worked you out a deal. im wth codi. CWB's warranty system is the best. i call up mat in warranty and he is on top of it. i get my bindings or boards like 2 days later.
Old     (superairguy)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-23-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Jeremy - You crack me up. Like dococ said you make all kinds of assumptions without even knowing what you are talking about.

Case in point...
Early comment from Jeremy - "If the dude bought the platty, and paid full price, I think he should be compensated with a DB9 (maybe he pays shipping or gives like 50.00 to make up the difference). Since he got it on close out, I think CWB has treated him fairly."

Later comment - "The OP is being a douche and you are following in his footsteps. Congratulations!!!! "

Early on you point to taking up for the poster to later on calling him a "douche" based on no further information. Also, you state if he bought it on close-out, then he was treated fairly. Well my friend, CWB's profit has nothing to do with whether the board was bought on closeout. The do not sell factory direct, so their profit was made when they sold to the shop, not the customer.

I love the youth of America. See you at McDonald's next time I drive through Chattanooga! Haha!

Last edited by superairguy; 07-23-2010 at 3:05 PM. Reason: Don't want to stoop to Jeremy's level.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
well DOCOC if you need some help with jeremy i'll help you i'm 5'6' 165lbs and 50 years old . jeremy ARE YOU FEELIN LUCKY TODAY SON! you better be sure cause you don't want to have to tell your girlfriend some little old man whooped your a$$.by the way she is cute.LOL
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
Jeremy, now you are just being rude and childish and silly.

The reason I am choosing not to share my information on this public forum is to protect CWB, because they have been massively supportive of the wakeboarding community for many years, particularly at the grassroots level, including many of my personal friends, and I have much respect for CWB because of that. Plus, I really like that they have been pushing the industry with lots of innovative product, which is what we all need, so long as a company has adequate warranty support to cover themselves when new designs sometimes don't live up to expectations.

But there have been problems lately. I honestly believe Matt Weiberg is a good guy, but in some instances it seems like he is under-resourced, and it seems like his hands are tied, maybe due to issues at the higher levels of the company. If I just lost you, Jeremy, then it might be time for you to back off, because it seems like you are trying to be provocative for not much reason other than to stir up drama.

Skyler, that is cool that Matt has been able to take care of you, it's good to hear that.

Robert, LOL!!! Thanks, brotha, us old farts gotta look out for each other!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-24-2010, 1:02 AM Reply   
Superair, how did I ever take up for you? The only time I said you should be sent a DB9, was hypothetically, an instance that did not exist in your case. Can you not tell the difference? And when you see me at McDonald's, you can empty my tray for me.

Robert, I FEEL LUCKY NOT ONLY TODAY, BUT ALSO THE OTHER 364 DAYS OF THE YEAR!

doc, I'm sorry you don't get the situation, superair got a brand, spanking new 2010 Transcend for the 2009 Platinum Transcend (which he paid less money for), and the delay had to do with the store he bought the board from. I don't see how you fault CWB in this situation, especially with "the much respect you have for CWB".
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-24-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
well JEREMY just how big a fella are ya.just wanna know how big to make your coffin.LOL
Old     (norwestrider)      Join Date: May 2008       07-25-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
CWB is by far the most accommodating wake company in the game in my opinion. I have been riding their boards for 8 years and every time there has ever been an issue I talk directly to CWB and I have a new board 2 days later. I understand that you would be upset but like others are saying you should be thankful that they are trying there hardest to keep you on the water!
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-25-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
I've been way to busy the past two weeks to post anything on wakeworld. I plan on still writing a thread in support of cwb's warranty but I have to post on this thread first. My 09 transcend plat broke about a month ago. I rode with a few guys that rode the same board and they had some break on them. I wasn't doing anything crazy on the board and it broke. I heard the boards are not being made anymore and can completely understand why. I called cwb when my board broke and they hooked me up. I told them I heard they were not making the board anymore and sAid I would be fine getting a faction. They sent me this years faction for getting a cheaper board in return they sent me a shirt, bottle opener and crap load of stickers. They didn't have to do it and I know those extra items don't completely add up to the difference but they made an effort. The board was at my house in three days. I broke a board that was over a year old. What oher companies have 2 year warranties? No complaints here. With the economy the way it is now be happy your getting a free board from a company that has such a great warranty.
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-25-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
Kp good post. Just read all the other posts. Saw the first post and had to write something right away!