Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-24-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
I'm not sure if this is going to make sense or not, but anyways

I believe a(n older) 210 has a shorter draft [bow to water surface distance] than most boats, and say you put 2,000 lbs in a(n older) 210 and 2,000 lbs in an X-Star, the 210 will lose more inches from it's initial draft than the X-Star will, I'm not looking for a this boat company is better discussion, but which is better in the aspect of wake size [not shape or anything else], the boat that sits lower easier, or the boat that can take more weight?
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-24-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
draft is how much water it takes to float a boat - in other words the distance from the water level to the lowest point on a boat
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
I think it takes bigger boats more weight to get a bigger wake I have a 20 footer and it has about the same wake with like 3500# as some of the 22' and 24' boats with like 4000 or 5000#
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-24-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
It's a matter of displacement, not draft. Narrow beam and smaller boats will take less weight to sink a given amount than wider beam boats. So, in your example, you mentioned a 210 vs an Xstar. Obviously, given the same weight in both boats, the 210 would be sitting lower than the xstar.

I prefer a mellow transition on a big ass wake. Some folks like lips.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-25-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
If you weight down a smaller hull the same as a larger hull, the smaller will obviously sink lower. (Displacement as mentioned above.)
However this has nothing to do with how big the wake will be. I have seen small boats about to sink due to weight and the wake still sucked.

I have seen the best wakes from properly shaped hull's weighted correctly. The best I have ever seen are larger hull's.
I was in disbelief the first time I saw an X star running more weight than he should have been, it was to big..........
I have seen a few Malibu's that barely had the rub rail out of the water and the wake was unbelievable too.
My answer to your question would be "the boat that can take more weight" and has a good wake creating shape.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
I agree its more about wake shape and boat bottom characteristics then anything that determine where and how much weight o put in it for the perfect weight for that particular boat..
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-25-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
02 210SANTE and I don't understand why people need to slam their boats... OEM ballast+ small riding crew is enough to get you airborne high enough to pull whatever trick you want...

'just sayin.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-25-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
^ agreed. Old 210 with 1500lbs is all that is needed for a BIG NICE wake.

If the hull is narrow and deep the wake is big and tall
Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-26-2009, 4:57 AM Reply   
This is what the Tige factory salesman told me:

Because of Tiges patented super dooper special whamo bamo hull shape Tiges don't need ballast
to make a good wake. The patented Taps system can make any shaped wake you ever want.

damn lying salesman
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-02-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
I have a 2007 Mobius lsv. The wake is great, but I want to make it bigger. There is already a 500lbs ballast in the middle ski locker. I am wanting to put some more sacks in the back to v drive lockers. I am wandering if instead of fat sacs getting hard plastic gas tanks from overtons or something that hold the same amount of water to put in back. Making them really a hard tank ballast system. Has anyone heard of this or done this? Also if you have any other suggestions I am interested.
Clay
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-02-2009, 11:21 PM Reply   
Remember, weight back = steeper wake, weight forward = rampier wake.

You can always get more weight with sacs than hard tanks. Lots of us pulled our factory tanks and replaced them with sacs to increase the ballast capacity.
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-03-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
I know that I Should post some pictures of the wake, but it is to cold to put the boat in. Got any suggestions on placement and weight I should use for the sacs.