Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-30-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Who's wearing helmets, which ones are the best, when is it nessesary to start wearing them?
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2006, 12:11 AM Reply   
never
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-31-2006, 1:01 AM Reply   
I started wearing one when I did INT comps this year. It was a rule, And then I just kept using it when I rode all the time. It looks funny and all but I've taken a couple good chiliwhops and been alright because of it.Mine is an Ace water helmet. And it has the ear flaps which I like alot.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-31-2006, 3:26 AM Reply   
I got an ace wake as a gift and started riding with it regularly this season. Now everyone in my boat now wears it and we bought one for the girls as well.

Its saved my noggin more than a few times and a couple that I'm sure would have blown out an eardrum. I could care less about making a fashion statement when I ride.....the helmet has kept me on the water longer and given me more confidence to push my riding.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-31-2006, 3:37 AM Reply   
I love my pro tec and it helps out with the sun alot if you wear it a little low. Takes away that bad glare on those sunny days.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-31-2006, 4:10 AM Reply   
I started after a bad concussion. Not sure if it will always help, but why take a chance.
Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       10-31-2006, 4:41 AM Reply   
Same answer as Mike. I was actually knocked unconcious when I came around short on a backroll. I positive that the helmet does help.....it helps my wife continue to pull me.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2006, 5:23 AM Reply   
I started wearing one (with earflaps) after majorly rupturing my eardrum a couple seasons ago.

Of course the "style Sallys" don't think they look cool. I suppose the same thing was said for bicycle helmets 20 years ago.

Last year I also started wearing one when snow skiing.

(Message edited by fish6942 on October 31, 2006)
Old     (sk_centurion)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-31-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
I have a Pro Tec Helmet there were three concussions on my boat this year I rattled my brian a few times this year. I think it gives you more confidence to.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
The same thing was said about bicycle helmets 20 years ago...and its still true today. I swear most people would bubble wrap the world. I fell of my bike and landed on my head plenty as a kid. Some people might be thinking" it all makes sense now" but I think I turned out okay. I would never tell anyone not to where a helmet because it doesn't look cool. Do what you feel comfortable with. For me, its just more gear and more weight to get in the way. This would actually make me feel more at risk for a nasty crash. I do wear them occasionally while hitting sliders though.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-31-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
I wear one wakeboarding only when I am coming into contact with hard objects such as sliders or kickers. To me, the decision is between the small chance of my board hitting me in the head, or injury to my neck due to increased surface area and/or bucketing. People ride differently and have different falling instincts, so you really have to figure out what works for you. I'd never poke fun at someone for wearing a helmet, unless it is pastel colors or something.

I wear a bicycle helmet if there is a chance of falling (off road riding) or coming into contact with motor vehicles. Riding casually on a bike path or a sidewalk, doesn't necessitate that use. I would wear a helmet snowboarding. I would wear a helmet downhill skiing aggressively.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-31-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
I wore one for 2 year. And in those 2yrs I knocked myself out 4 times. For the last 2 yrs no Helmet, only one TKO. That being said tho- I still wear a Helmet when I hit rails, mainly because unlike water they are made of wood and screw, if you didnt notice.

***I bet this thread starts some serious
battles***

*?*?*?*?*DING DING DING*?*?*?* ROUND ONE, FIGHT!!!!!!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-31-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
I always wear one.

I have had multiple concussions over the years ( college football, Downhill Mtn Biking, Rugby, Wakeboarding ).
I can not afford to get another one.

I am 100% certain it help you, or at least me.

I have taken some pretty good beatings and knocked myself silly when not wearing one while wakeboarding.

Since I started wearing one I still take a beating but have never been knocked silly .

To each his own.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-31-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
So Tim and Andy are you saying that helmets could potentially be dangerous?

I have been concussed 2 times. Im not trying mobes and speedballs but still wanna be safe.

I think ill get one

I think this goes along with the whole coast guard approved life vest vs. non uscg approved deal.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-31-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I wear one when snowboarding. Hit my head on some ice once. I have one but rarely remember to wear it when wakeboarding. I think that it is probably a good idea but I'm stuborn.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-31-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Just curious, can you wear the shred ready super shaggy with the bill in the back? like flip the pads.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-31-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
David,

There is no solid evidence either way, if it helps or hurts when you hit only water. I look at it like diving vs. doing a belly flop. More surface area gets a mugh higher reaction force when you hit the water. It obviously would help if your board comes off often and there is a risk of hitting your head with it.

I don't put it on par with USCG vests. USCG vests float much betterthan comp vests. I would never ride without one.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-31-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
i can agree with that. i agree that there is no 100% bulletproof evidence that it will only help. its not a guarantee to not get hurt.

I would rather better my chances for not getting concussed even with the risk.

any answer to the backwards shred ready question. its the only one i like. ha
Old    alanp            10-31-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
marc i wear one. i wear it b/c ive never taken a hit wearing the helmet that came even close to the hits ive taken without the helmet. it gives me plenty of confidence to try new tricks. and i may be in the minority but i think my helmet is pretty cool(ive painted it like an old vietnam helmet)
Old     (au82pat)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
David, Yes you can wear the Shred Ready- Super Scrappy forwards or backwards. The Shaggy and Vixen also have the ability to be worn with the bill in the back or the front.

www.shredready.com
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-31-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
excellent, yea the website says the shaggy can be switched but doesnt say anything about the super scrappy. Looks like i found a christmas present. thanks!
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
Used to wear the Ace Wake but didn't like how it constricted my peripheral vision. I got some doc's pro plugs and now the helmet sits on my friends boat. I have taken some pretty hard edge crashes since and they don't seem to bother me too much. Just my $.02.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-31-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
I wish I could say those edge crashes didn't bother me too much... those backside head plants used to really crack my bell, not so much with my Ace Wake...takes the sting off for me.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2006, 10:46 PM Reply   
The day after, when the neck is effin sore, that bothers me
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-01-2006, 2:05 AM Reply   
I also wear a helmet, and have done it for the past 2 years. It really takes the top of the crashes. When I take my crashes, and I think this gonna hurt, I am still surprised, when I surface again without any pain
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-01-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
David,
I dont realy think that people shouldnt rock Helmets by any means. I am just saying that I wear one don't when I wakeboard. Maybe I have gotten better at my Riding that's why I am no longer knocking myself stupid. That being said I definetly still take just as hard of hits as I did when I was wearing a helmet. I got into a lot of hot water once telling people that the Doctors told me that I was knocking myself out because I was getting such bad whip-lash, not actually hitting my head. I took off my helmet, mainly because it was the only thing that had changed in my riding, and no more whip-lash related TKO's. Dont know if it was the helmet or not just my two sense worth. By no means would I ever tell anyone to take their bucket off tho-
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-01-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Thanks alan, I like the "Nam" theme, I'd like to see it, can you post it?
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Andy thats cool I understand where you are coming from and I could see how telling people what the doctor told you could be controversial.

There is one sentence that I really disagree with though, and this may be changing the focus of the thread but.

"Maybe I have gotten better at my Riding that's why I am no longer knocking myself stupid. That being said I definetly still take just as hard of hits as I did when I was wearing a helmet."

I am kinda confused. you say you're getting better and not falling as hard then say you are falling just as hard as with a helmet. I'm confused.

I'm gonna assume that the first sentence is true and argue that in my opinion the more progressive your riding gets the harder you fall. to put it as simply as i possibly can....
If you are not falling then you are not pushing yourself. Getting better is a result of making mistakes and falling.

im not trying to hate or put down i would just like to stir up a conversation. If youre shreddin behind a whaler at 17mph on a skurfer or a vlx w/ 4k ballast on a ronix its right on in my book. yall are prolly way better than me anyways. i know andy is from his dope profile picture.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-01-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
I wish I could find some medical literature on this topic but so far I haven't. I haven't started wearing a helmut because I have degenerative discs in my neck and worry about the extra weight on my head leading to more neck trauma. I do wear a lightweight helmet snow skiing and skateboarding but that's a harder surface and definitely worth the trade off. However, I had my first concussion wakeboarding a couple of weeks ago face planting on a switch fs one wake 180. I lost about 10 minutes of memory and felt weird for a couple of days. That scared me, so I'm leaning a bit more towards trying a helmut next season.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-01-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
David,

Basically I agree with completely. But now I can see alot of crashes coming, more so than I could when I was more green with my riding. If I am going for a say a crow mobe, I know the second I hit the wake if am gunna make it. Evening learning new moves now I dont take nearly as many face slams as I used to. But I am pushing myself just as hard as I did two years ago, if not harder. I guess I just understand the physics of wakeboarding better that what I am saying.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-01-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
maybe I would have different results with a different helmet, but i tried the acewake before and for whatever reason it threw off my riding. Everyone in the boat thought I was drunk or something. I couldn't deal with the whistling sound I was getting blasted in my ears and the loss of a bit of vision. I guess I'm weird but I like to hear everything. Ive only taken 2 reallllly hard hits to the head in the past 2 years... no concussions so far (knock on wood) snow skiing I swear by helmets but wakeboarding I just don't like them
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
awesome keep shreddin andy.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-01-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
I have also heard opinions on the helmet adding more surface area. I like the stance that Andy is taking: "By no means would I ever tell anyone to take their bucket off tho-". I pretty much agree with that.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-02-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I started wearing a helmet this year after I seen my bro in-law get 11 stitches on the side of his head when he fell doing a simple W2W jump. Anything can happen.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-06-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Okay, so Ace Wake and Shred Ready. Any opinions about other helmets or which of these works the best. Tim said something about helmets causing "bucketing." What is that?
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-06-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
I think that he means that the helmet would create drag in the water which would pull on your neck. I've discussed the same thing with the college trick coach here in San Diego. It is a trade off for sure. He wears a foam neck brace and that seems like a good idea. No helmet though.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-06-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
I would say that the "bucketing" can be reduced to a minimum if the helmet fits snugly, and is adjusted properly.
Old    helmet_guy            11-07-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
Helmets are an effective way to reduce injuries. Almost 60% of wake injuries last year in US emergency rooms were above the neck! I am a helmet developer, ask me anything you want and I have, or can get the answer?
Old    nocky            11-07-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
We purchased one this year after a recomendation from a wakeboarding coach we had some sessions with. He said that at the level we ride (and it's not very high believe me!!) we should definately be wearing helmets....

First time I rode with one was during the lesson (had a speaker in it so he could talk to you .... that was freaky....

We purchased a Pro-Tec and most riders tend to use it behind our boat....
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-07-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Okay, Wayne, I'm back to my original dilemma. I have some hard crashes, not because I go big but because I fall stupid. I've been reluctant to get a helmet so far because of my fear that it would lead to more stress on my neck in falls and because I haven't blown an ear drum yet and hadn't had a concussion until recently. I'm 56 and have the neck and back problems to prove it. What do you think about these concerns for me wearing a helmet and where do you get your info. If you'd rather take it offline send me a private message. Thanks
Old    helmet_guy            11-07-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
Les, we have done a lot of water testing for a new design called Pulse. Assuming you are not wearing a skate helmet designed for CPSC/bike standard, I would say you are better off with a helmet vs. without. There is no evidence that the increased surface area of a helmet causes any type of injury, but lots of evidence that wearing one prevents head trauma, lacerations and burst ear drums.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Wayne you have been coming on here now for over a year talking about the new pulse helment designed for wakeboarding..

However your website doesnt really talk about the helmet or give any information on when one might be available to try or buy.

When will happen??

any new info ?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-07-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Enough said....

Upload
Old    ace5693            11-07-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
jesus christ what happened to him
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-07-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
Went in head first hit a submerged stump.
Old    helmet_guy            11-07-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
Bill, helmet ships next month. Yes, it has been a long wait with many changes along the way. Delay has been mostly due to changes as we added dial fit retention, comes with ear pieces now and materials changed due to testing.

Our new website at www.pulseheadquarters.com will be up within two weeks and have ordering information.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
dude...... all I needed to see was that guys noggin. talk about poster child for helmets!! when you see something like that, it doesnt matter what you wear, as long as you wear something, anything would have helped out there!!! damn!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-08-2006, 2:03 AM Reply   
The problem is, with the stump collision is, helmet or not, breaking his neck is a much more important issue. The key there is making sure you ride somewhere that there are not underwater hazards.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-08-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
That Photo was used in a Shred Ready Ad in Alliance. He is sponsored by them. So yes, he's Shred Ready's poster child.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-08-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Tyler hit a peice of floating debris (I think plywood), not a stump.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-08-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
Really? I thought it was a submerged piece of wood or stump? Anyhow, he rips! Glad to see him come back from that difficult of a procedure. He almost died.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-08-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
It was close.
Old     (driver_dad)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
I was going to ask for suggestions on how to convince my 16 year old to wear a helmet but when I got to that photo, I think it may do the trick -- thanks!
Old    ace5693            11-08-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
yeah when i was at my camp they made us wear them when we started getting good and landing like and getting concussions. funny thing is one time we were like well we don't need them then my buddy got knocked out when he up a raley
Old     (wake4chicks)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
i never wear one unless im hitting up rails. i wouldnt wear one but my friend i ride with got a bad concussion last year n if he gets another he cant do ne more sports., so he has one and i use it for rails.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-08-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Blown ear drum and concussion. Most of the time I wear mine. If I plan on going big I put one on, but I know I should put it on all the time. Wakesurfing I don't wear one, it is just to low impact. I have seen some pretty bad gashes from the board hitting boarders in the head. You never know, it could happen on a butter slide.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-08-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
Tyler know has 3 titanium plates in his head and srill rips.