Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
We were at a party on Saturday where some guy was telling my wife and I all about how water temp. can change the wake. Is this true? Being kinda new, we have never heard of this nor noticed a difference. Just curious to see what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Tim
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-30-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
no, temps don't affect the wake.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
I havent heard anything like that, but who knows.
I know when you fall in colder water it hurts more. Especialy faceplants
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-30-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
Well.. I guess it could. warmer water is less dense, easier to sink the boat, than in cold more dense water. But i dont think there is enough diffrence from 50-80 to reaallly make a diffrence.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-30-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
I think it changes it a little, just like salt. Who can do the math. What is the density change from 50 to 80 degrees?
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-30-2006, 11:26 PM Reply   
The density does affect it slightly. The density of water changes from 1000 kg/m3 to 998 kg/m3.

Running some numbers through a bouyancy formula with the slight change in density I calculated that a 210 team would sit about 1/20th of an inch lower in 70 degree water than it would in 40 degree water.

However, this is sitting still. Just guessing I feel you would see more of an effect when you calculate the dynamic effects of moving at 23mph. I don't still have the book that would have those formulas in them.

You would have to be very familiar with the boat and everything to notice a difference.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-01-2006, 1:16 AM Reply   
About the same difference as the top speed of your car with the radio on or off. Infinitesimal!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-01-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Thank you Dave. People, the real answer is no, there is no affect to the wake that human perception would be able to notice!

ppl need to stop making a mountain out of a mole hill!

Next your all going to say you have figured out a way to compress water to fit more into your v-drive sacs so you get 800lbs out of a 600lb bag in your rear lockers.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-01-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
I brought this up years ago and everyone looked at me like I was nuts. We had been weighting our boat the same all summer. We took it out in 40 degree temps and it just didn't seem the same.

Drag boats run better times on colder water.

The density of salt certainly changes the wake. I don't see why old water couldn't.
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-01-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
temp does change the wake
when its colder the water is more dense do to the molocules being closer together in cold water, that makes for the water being harder. when i crash of the doubleups in the winter if really kicks my ass but in the sumer with warmer water it is alot softer of a crash

thats my two cents but who am i ?
later
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-01-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
So which is better...4,000 year old water or 100 year old water?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-01-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Similarly, I have raised this issue to mixed reactions. I have no idea of the physics of it.
But, from my experience in water ranging from the bathwater Delta to icy Tahoe (and sometimes going from back and forth from one to the other), the answer is Yes. At least feel-wise.

My board also seems to ride higher in the colder water and it is harder to initiate and hold an edge without sliding out. So, the wake may be similar or only slightly smaller in size, but it feels smaller because of all the other variables (harder water, cold body, etc.).

Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-01-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
i am no scientist but if you take water and freez it doesnt it become ice and ice is harder than water. so i would say yes that colder water will change the wake.

just had this conversation before and wanted to give my input.
Old    lovin_the_sport            05-01-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
Yea, dry suit, wet suit or trunks. Thats how temp affects the water.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-01-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
I'm w/ Hannah. The only effect is how many fingers you can feel when you get in.