Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-29-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
Just curious to see what tricks each of you feel are overdone that bore you to watch them now. I'm not hating on these tricks (can't do most of them) but just seeing what tricks FOR YOU have you seen so many times that they don't do much for you anymore. It's strange because there are certain tricks that have been around since the beginning and I'll never get tired of them, but others don't do anything for me anymore.

What are yours? One the slip side, what tricks could you watch all day long and never get bored...besides a big HS BS 1 into the flats?

The one I could do without right now is the indy T2B. The Pete is getting close. Some of the older tricks I still love watching though like a good nose grabbed moby dick or a layed out whirly.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-29-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
I was just gonna say Pete. That is the first thing that popped into my head.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-29-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
b/s 180 into the flats?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
I'm over KGBs personally. Probably the most over used contest mobe ever.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-29-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
More than a crow mobe?? At least most of the guys are taking their crow mobes to 5 these days to mix it up.
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-29-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
I'm sick of 1080's, I think their overdone.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-29-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Petes. I have never liked the look of them, except for one Kyle Alberts did in an Alliance vid. I will never get sick of any Benny G spin, because they are all poked, grabbed, and smoooooooooth as butta.
Old    benj_t            09-29-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
I dont think theres any tricks that actually BORE me to watch. There are certain riders that may be more entertaining than others but there is not just one single trick that would bore me every time i see it, because there is always someone that makes "that trick" look completley awesome.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
agreed with benj
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
if anything to me it would be spins where people try to grab just to get a grab and not for style, that bothers me for some reason. Still give anyone props for doing spins but I'd rather see it without the grab if your going to get a pathetic one in. and personally Lyman and Ben G's ole 7's never get old, same with randall's methods.

(Message edited by adambarry on September 29, 2009)
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-29-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
un grabbed spins. some video parts are full of them. makes the sport look samey to people who dont know it.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-29-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
any trick without a grab
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-29-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
Fashion airs...all the kids love it for some reason
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-29-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
either a dum dum or a tootsie roll.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-29-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Ewing

Saying things like that will get you thrown off of this site!!! haha
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-30-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Wes!! I AGREE!! BS 180 into the flats are Crazy hard. Prolly one of the most Tech tricks out there. Before any one says HUH - BS 180 TECH? Blasting one into the flats takes massive amounts of control of the handle, strenght, body position, timing, I could go on and on, but if you have ever tried one HUGE you know what i Mean.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
We don't have any pro level riders in our crew so you will get arm pumps for landing most basic inverts or any grabbed spin or spin > 3 behind our boat.

Now for pro tourney runs, I think glides seem to be getting thrown a lot, but there again you will feel some love if you throw them or any ralley variation behind our boat.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-30-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
I wouldn't know how hard it is bc I can't even do them w2w. I just know of all the west coast guys who's nipples tweak whenever they see big bs 180's!!! Not that mine don't!!!!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
i'm a big fan of blasted BS3...with a nice big indy grab and a little karate kick...
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-30-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
Any trick with a grab...
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-30-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
This has turned from overdone tricks to tricks you like..............
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
laid out flips and straight legged spins are played out...

in the words of the mighty Riley Bangarter "It doesnt count if it isn't grabbed!"
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
I don't hate on people for not grabbing tricks...becuase I can't grab many of them! I mean who learns a grabbed tantrum or backroll as their first invert? I've never known anybody to land a trick grab for their first time.

I'll all about doing what feels fun to you. I guess the original thought behind the thread was tricks you see at comps or in the videos that everybody is doing that you just get tired of seeing them thrown.
Old    benj_t            09-30-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Eubanks, I have learned almost half of my tricks with a grab the very first time i landed it.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
I don't believe you. Name 'em. Were any of them your first two inverts?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-30-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
lol ... I don't believe that either.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-30-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Why is that so hard to believe? If that's the way you learn 'em, then that's the way you learn 'em.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
Because of the 100 people I've known to learn inverts, none of them have learned them with a grab! Now for your 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. inverts or spins then I can see it. The point was that most people can't do 5, 6, 7, etc. inverts so their one or two shouldn't be excluded from "counting" because they can't grab them.

Moving on...
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-30-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
Oh okay, you don't know anyone who's done it, so it obviously has never happened and benj shouldn't be trusted. Gotcha.

PS - Big melan FS 180's are way overdone nowadays, and wrapped stuff will be on the list this time next year.
Old    benj_t            09-30-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Eubanks... Toeside backroll with an indy, tantrum with an indy, i learned all of the 180s ahwile back with solid grabs on them (including backside 180s) heelside 3 with a nose grab, toe 3 with a melon grab, toeside ole 540 with a mute grab, i even learned crow mobe with a melon this past year, i grabbed tantrum to blind at Indy the first time i landed it, and yes Toeside frontroll was my second invert landed and I grabbed it indy, also tantrum was my 3rd invert ever landed and i grabbed it indy. And probably a few more tricks I cant think of off the top of my head.

I just like leaning my tricks with a grab, I dont really understand why you wouldnt believe me. Its just natural for me to grab and it feels more legit to learn a new trick with a grab. Even though there are some tricks that i cant grab yet, like Moby Dick or toeside 720 or Whirly. But for the tricks i didnt grab the first time i landed it, the second time i land it, I go for a grab.

Sorry for getting off topic.
Old    benj_t            09-30-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Oh and thanks anthemwake, you posted while I was typing! lol
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
I used to love tantrums to blind. A lot of people put their own style into them. Now it seems like I see them in every video part of every movie I watch. Cool trick, but not to watch 6-8 times in a 30 minute film
Old    benj_t            09-30-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
But Cory, if you say alot of people put their OWN style into tantrum to blinds, then why would it look the same every time you saw it in a 30 minute film (if its different riders doing it)?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Benj - I wouldn't worry about the whirly. IMO a grabbed whirly totally kills that trick for me. I think they look terrible grabbed.

Glad that the first time you landed every one of your tricks you've ever done they were grabbed. I can promise you that you are in the rare minority. I just think it's funny when people say that ungrabbed tricks don't count.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
Just an opinion. They are still cool, but definitely "overdone" as the thread asked
Old     (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-01-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
overdone: petes (don't get me wrong, it's a crazy trick but i'm just not that big of a fan), dum dums (too much goin on), and honestly any raley based trick that isn't a batwing or a glide
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
i learned all of my spins with grabs...except a back 3...
Old     (bill_c)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-01-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
if you guys that say you learnt these tricks with grabs and grabbed the first time you ever went for any spins or flips are telling the truth, then you are a rare minority.
It would be good to see you guys trying a new trick then.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
i'm sorry maybe i should've stated that a different way...

i learned a lot of things without grabs...but then when it came time to grab them i had to re-learn them cuz the cut is different in most cases. attempting to grab a spin, i think, puts your body in a much better position throughout the entire move and only once i started to grab the board did i start landing a lot more of my spins..

thats just me tho...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
For me it is all about the rider and how they do the trick. I am not a big fan of KGBs and tootsie's by most riders, but than you see someone like Brady Sammons throw a huge one way out in the flats and I can watch those all day. Same with big spins. I would rather see a BS 180, but watching Schwenne or Dykmans spin anything I can do all day.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-02-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
I would rather take a bullet to the testicle than watch Schwenne do anything. I know a bunch of people on WW have a boner for him, but that dudes style is awful IMO... it's like watching Rusty hit rails :-) (zipping up my flame suit as we speak)

Ben Greenwood is the spin poke master hands down.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-02-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
I think Shwenne has a sick grabbed ts bs off axis 3

And I would say Rusty is the best rail rider, but I think he's definitely worth watching 3:27

Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-02-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
isn't*
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-02-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
I'll call your bluff and raise you:

This is how you shred rooftops
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-02-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
I am not a big rail guy but I actually enjoyed watching that. Nice riding guys.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-02-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
rusty just has a wack style period. rails and wake he looks like he should be a gym trainer. he can land hard tricks though otherwise theres no point to watch him. shwenne def does that tuck knee stuff way too much too. its cool with one or two spins but please no more than that
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-05-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
I learned toeside backroll with an indy, ts r2r with nose grab, hs r2r with melan, sw hs r2r with mute, scarecrow with melan, and the only two crowmobes ive ever done were melan
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
Luker, with no intention of flaming, if you met Schwenne, you would change your views. Pick up a copy of Delta Sessions 1 or 2 and I believe you will change your thoughts. The tuck knee thing has gotten a lot of play, but that is not a clear picture of his capabilities. Also keep in mind he was world champ some time ago. Dude has like 7's every possible way with every type of difficult grab there is.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-06-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
"I would rather take a bullet to the testicle than watch Schwenne do anything."
Warming up my .357 as we speak! You won't find a more well rounded rider than Schwenne. Also, was out on a photo shoot with him recently. The guy is a true pro. He knows how to give the camera exactly the right pose. Plus he's a great guy.

Now will that be right or left?