Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Boiler            04-01-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Malibu Wakesetter VLX that I keep in dry stack. We will be building a new house in the next few years and want to design a garage big enough for the boat to fit. I do not have a trailer yet, so I have no way to actually measure the boat to see how wide/tall/deep I need the garage to be. So, if any of you also have a 21.5' Malibu with the illusion X tower and you garage it (without lowering the tower or taking off the ski platform), how deep is your garage and what size garage door works?
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-01-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
You could always do an 8 foot tall garage door, fold the tower down, back it in, and then have the ceiling of the garage tall enough to put the tower back up once you are inside. Or do you want to leave the tower up and be able to back it in?
Old    Boiler            04-01-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
I'd really like to leave the tower up. I've never had to lower it before and don't know how hard it is or heavy it is to lower. I do know I would have to remove a couple of bolts as they didn't make the quick release feature until more recently. But if that means I would need a 10-12 ft tall garage door, I would just suck it up and break out the tools and deal with it.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-01-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
you will want a MINIMUM depth of 26 feet- this allows for the platform and some of your stuff behind the boat. Height of the door- Hmm.... I don't know. I have a 16' high garage and can put the tower up in the garage- but i lower it when I am going out of the garage. the Malibus are counter weighted so lowering the tower it a snap- even with a rack full of speakers...

My opinion- Think "man cave" - build that garage the way you think you'll want it for years- flat screens and powder coated floors!!!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-01-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
The rule of thumb for any garage is to figure out what size can work and give you comfort, and then add a bit extra everywhere so you have some fudge space if you're not in straight and to make it easier.
Then add two feet to every dimension.
Then you know when it's built you have a garage only a little smaller than you want once you start using it.
I have never met anyone who said their garage was too big.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-01-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
width is also a consideration. I built mine with 9' wide doors and my trailer barely fits - i have to take off the uprights/guides in the rear. If it were 10' wide it would probaby be perfect, but wider is better...

Last edited by camassanger; 04-01-2010 at 8:57 PM. Reason: correction
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-02-2010, 5:08 AM Reply   
I have a Supra 21v and my garage is 30' with a 10x10 door. It just fits though the 10' door. If I had it to do over again, I would go with a 12x12 door. A 10x10 will work, but it will be close on the height. Go with a 12x12 and 30' depth and you should be safe.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-02-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
10x10 door and 27 deep is what I would do. A Malibu with an Illusion X tower will only sit about 9' 3" on a trailer. Much lower than most other boats. That is the size of my garage and it is perfect for most boats and still gives you a bit of room to play.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
it also depends on if the garage doors are in front of house or side. I personally would not want a huge garage door facing the street as I pull up to the house everyday. When we built our lake house the garage did face the street, so we went with a 10' wide by 8'h door on the boat side and a 9 x 8 on the truck side. You dont even notice the size diff when looking at front of house. . Depth on truck side 24' and 36' on boat side.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       04-02-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
If the garage is attached to the house go with a 9 foot tall garage door. Anything bigger looks bad and anything lower is just too small.

I have a 24' deep garage and it is plenty to fit a 21' foot boat in. I could fit my old 21' Supra Launch without a swing away toungue on the trailer. I did have to fold the tower to get it in and then put it back up again when in the garage. no biggie. I may have taken off the swim platform, can't remember for sure but a trailer with a swing away will fix that issue.

Of course I built a house with a 24' depth garage and then purchased a 24' Supra Launch - oops. With the swing away trailer, it does not fit by a couple inches because of the wake plate. I can angle it very slightly and get it in though.
Old    Boiler            04-08-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all the replies...very much appreciated!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-08-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
I have a 14' x 40' stall with an 11' high x 12' wide door. I wish it was a lot bigger. Did I mention that I wish it was a lot bigger?