Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
I just sold a Super Air 210 and I just ordered an X-Star. In saying that, I have (1) 700 lb. sac and I have (2) 350lb. sac that I weighted the 210 with. I ordered the X-Star w/the bigger motor so I could weight it really heavy and was thinking of just ordering the Fly High kit but then the sacs I have would just go to waste, any experience or suggestions? Thought about lead, but don't know where to get any?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-30-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
search the boards, this topic has been beaten to death
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-30-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
Get the Fly High system and be done. You can't beat it for ease, and the wake is perfect.

Sell the sacks!
Old     (spencerwakeside)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-30-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
I agree with Travis. Those sacs will go fast on Craigslist.com or Ebay.com. We have been seeing awesome results with both the X-Star and X2 Fly High Setups. Now if you could only get Travis to give you a PWT weighted X-Star driving lesson you would be set.
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-31-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
Go with the Fly high system and add another 400 up front! I went with the pop sacs so i could hide it under the seats and by the ladder!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
The flyhigh is great, but if you decide against it, then pick up another 750. Run the 750's in the rear on each side of the motor and a 350 on each side under the front seats. The wake will be kickin'.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-31-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
I also run another 350 of lead in the bow.
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       05-31-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
Does the 350lb. of lead in the front make the wake more rampy? I am used to the 210 wake and I like a lip at the top, so would I be better off w/the 750's in the back and 350's in the front? I can't find anything that tells me the weight of the Fly High X Star sacs, can anyone tell me what they are? Also, are ya'll plumbing them in to your existing, if so does the kit come with all necessary connections?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-31-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

If you scroll down a little more then half way on the link above,there is info on it.

2,500lbs in total
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
the kit is the only way to go. plumb it in and no more. listen to travis, he knows a few things about xstars :-)
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-01-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
I just got my XStar and have been trying a few different options on weight. It seems the more you put in the back will give you the lip at the top. It seems like a lot of weight at 2500 lbs, I would imagine it would be huge. I am more conservative on the fuel issue, so don't want to run that much weight. How much wake do we really need?
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-01-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
I am trying to find what's the exact weight for each of those sacks (X-Star Fly High upgrade).

Are they 750's in the back and 500's in the front?
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
call chris over at fly high and he will let you know. i believe mine are 850's in the rear and 440's up front.
i dont run the lead up front like travis does, but thinking about it.
you can fill the bags up as much as you want to get the wake where you want it. totally filled it is huge and throws you high.
gas is not that bad as long as you re-prop it.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-01-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Wakeridersaz, what engine do you have the MCX, how is the water over the front with that much weight, the only thing that I don't like on the boat? I got the new acme prop and it has a great hole shot, love it. How much more fuel would you guess that you use with the extra weight?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Just remember that coming from a Nautique it will seem like you've gotta run a ton of weight in the rear of the X-star. I was amazed by how much we run in the back compared to our old X2's.

The wake doesn't have to be giant in this boat to get a good kick. The wake is really solid. We rode kinda light the other night and I was amazed at the boots it was still dishing out.

Right now we're running 550's on each side of the motor, plus an extra 65lbs of lead on each side in the far back. We leave a 40lb lead sack in the boat to help balance things out. Another 65lbs of lead in the "cooler" over the v-drive, and 700lbs of lead in the far front under the seats.

The wake is really good like this. Put a few people (like 10) on top of this and the wake gets insane. It's hard for me to compare this to the numbers that a lot of people throw out since most of ours is lead (we actually know what that weighs instead of guessing how much water really fits in a "500lb" sack). Also, we're running the 8.1 motor, so it adds a bit more weight to the rear of the boat, too. I've read that it's around another 200lbs, though I'd guess more like 100.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
The PWT's have 2500 + a 500 lb custom sac in the front walk b/c nobody is up in the bow 4 the tourny's. Then you factor in factory ballast @ 800+-? and a few phat folks like travis and you are at 4 grand...whaw!
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
i have the mcx engine. which prop do you have? the wake is great just stock. adding the weight makes it alittle bigger but alot firmer with more of a lip. the extra front weight in lead or bag is to help get the boat on plane faster. not sure on the fuel. it is not that much more. it just comes with the territory. if you want the wake it costs. i dont run the lead because of the trip i have to make across the lake to good water and not everyone can handle that big of wake. the water over the front is not a big deal as long as you turn around correctly. the water over the back is more of an issue when slowing down. you have to watch that more.

chris- not everyone has a few 170lb socking wet folks like travis at there disposal! :-)
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
paul- you should be running the OJ 14.25x14 xmp prop.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
I've heard, he puts lead in his shoe soles, just to keep things even~
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       06-01-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
What is the difference between the props that come on the X-Star versus the OJ or Acme? From what I remember they are the same sizes.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
mastercraft comes stock with OJ props. the boat companies work closely with the prop companies to design props that work better specificaly for their boats. all reviews suggest the oj prop too.

chris-that is the rumor
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Did you really say the wake is great stock????

This brings a very valid point. Not everyone needs a waist high wake to be happy. I learned most of my tricks behind a Sanger direct drive (albeit well weighted). The wake behind the Star when loaded can be pretty intimidating for a new rider.

I always assume when people ask about weighting a boat that they are looking to get max size of their wake. A lot of people would be perfectly happy with 400 extra pounds as opposed to 4000 extra pounds.

For what it's worth.... I'd only ride behind a stock X-star if I was desperate, injured or if it had 20 people on board.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Oh, I forgot to mention the multitude of people I ride with that have grown their wake far beyond their capabilities. If you're having trouble going wake to wake (toe or heelside), then you have no place adding extra weight. Trust me, it wont make it easier or your technique better. Work on the fundamentals and add weight from there.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
didn't mean it that way. for most people it is enough. i can not with anything less than the factory ballest. just depends on what i am working on. but all in all i totally agree with you.
Old     (smewth001)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-02-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
Hey Travis what exact prop are you running? I have the 14 1/4 x 14 with 120 cup and runnning with stock ballast plus a 600 on eath side of motor and aproximately 500 in the front I can barely get on a plane with 5 people on the boat. I have the MCX and just wondering if the cup or the diameter of the prop maters at all? I hate to have to drain ballast when more people are on the boat! I guest I'm looking for the best size prop for that motor and maximam weight!
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       06-03-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
From a 1 to 10 scale one being a person who can barely hold a hammer and ten being a perfessional installer, everyone our my family might be a 4 (this might even be pushing it). With that said, How bad would the installation of the flyhigh system be for us?
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
install is very easy. the hard part is drilling in for the valves.
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
Drilling?? What exactly do you have to drill?
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
http://fatsac.com/PDFs/X_Star%20Aditional%20Ballast.pdf

You have to mount the distribution flow valves (3) to the bulkhead
SEE FIG 2 & 5 and reference cut-out on right side pg.4

Note: figure #4 is a prototype. The distribution flow valves are 3 separate units.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
it is not that hard. dont be intimidated by it. use the templates and all will be fine.