Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-22-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
I have a tsunami pump for my flyhigh sacs and a straightline sumo pump for 2 other ballast bags. The tsunami pump works awesome, but the the straightline cant seem to get a steady pumping stream. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a trick to priming? I even sucked on the end to get all the air out; it pumped for a little bit then stopped again. When it works, it works great, but I just can't get it to empty/fill consistently.
Old     (drewoh)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-23-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
I am having the same problem. I bought a sumo pump 2 weeks ago and couldn't get it to work consistently. I finally took it back today and exchanged for a new one. I havent tried it yet, but something tells me I will have the same problem. The guy at the shop said he has problems getting it primed, but eventually it works. If this one has the same issue, I am going to call straight line. Let me know if you learn about any tricks
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-23-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
Wakemakers videos just say to sink them really deep into the water to get a good prime.
Old     (strev)      Join Date: May 2012       06-23-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
As long as you keep the pump submerged in water you shouldn't have a problem, i have the same pump. Sometimes when I'm filling my bags I have to move the boat and the pump will get pulled to the surface while moving, it looks like it stays underwater but if it even sucks a little bit of air you have to re prime it. To prime it all I do is unplug it and make sure that it's underwater before I plug it back in. Hope this helps
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-23-2013, 9:07 PM Reply   
This ^^^^
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-24-2013, 7:33 AM Reply   
I'll give it another shot. It seems like it is having a hard time getting up and over the side of the boat and into the rear locker. When I have it in the driveway (hose level), it has no problem. As soon as I raise the hose though, no water.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-24-2013, 9:29 AM Reply   
Sometimes this happens to my fly high pumps. For me it seems like some junk can get caught in the impeller so I'll plug it in and then blow through the pump inlet. Most of the time I'll feel some resistance and then a release and it works great after that
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-24-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
mine works great
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-24-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
I have had the same problems with getting a good prime when draining or filling. It's like if i don't have the hose in the right spot or the pump deep enough in the water it doesn't flow smooth. Ive started to figure it out more on how everything has to be positioned, but it still can be bothersome a lot of times when the boat has to be moved or something.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-24-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
Same issues as above, seems what works one time doesn't the next. I have one I made out of an areator pump that works flawlessly so I hardly use the sumo anymore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-24-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
Bummer, wish I saw this thread before I ordered one. If it sucks I'll be sure to return it. I grabbed some straightline sacks a couple years ago and I wish I went flyhigh/tsunami, straight lines sacks and pumps have not impressed me.
Old     (drewoh)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-25-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
I still can't get the pump to pump out the sacs. I have older fly high sacs that don't have a quick connect attachment so I have to use the blue male connector and I can't get the pump to prime. I have pushed it down, raised and lowered the hose, etc. Any suggestions?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-25-2013, 5:20 AM Reply   
Sometimes when I had my older pump it wouldn't prime. What I ended up doing was pushing down on the motor/cartridge while stepping on the bag to force water up into the pump. Really obnoxious. I think I am just going to build my own pump out of an attwood tsunami and some waterbed fittings, this sounds like a 90$ POS.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
I really like the Sumo sacs. The Link connection is superior to the Fat Sac quick connect. The way the pump sits when connected for draining is lower, which helps priming. Also, the Link connection holds the pump snug, unlike the fly high quick connect which seems to allow the fitting to swivel very easily. To get the pump to prime on the sac you need to push down on the pump BEFORE you plug it in. I've never had an issue as long as I've done this. Also make sure you are burping the air of the bags when you are filling. These tips will help with all bags, not just sumo bags.

I think the only thing I would like better about the fat sacs are the fact that they are more square so when placed on the floor they wouldn't be able to roll as easily. Other than that, I'll be keeping my sumo sacs.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-26-2013 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2013, 7:12 AM Reply   
Tom, do you have a problem with the connection leaking? I noticed they leak 1/2 the water they actually pump (when they pump).
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
nope, but it's up to you to make sure the clamps on the hoses are tight. If they are leaking, throw a zip-tie or a worm clamp on them.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-26-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
I will try pushing the pump down prior to plugging in. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
nope, but it's up to you to make sure the clamps on the hoses are tight. If they are leaking, throw a zip-tie or a worm clamp on them.
No, it leaks badly at the bag/pump connection
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
the link connection is leaking? are pushing down and twisting? I think there is supposed to be an o-ring on the pump (can't remember), but you're probably missing it.

the link connection on mine does not leak at all

pic of the connections with the o-rings:

pic of the pump fitted to the bag properly:

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-26-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2013, 11:15 AM Reply   
Yep, pushed in and twisted. Brand new pump and bag. Oring there. Leaks like a sieve!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Where did you buy them? I would contact the manufacturer and/or wherever you bought them and see what they will do. It certainly sounds like there is some sort of defect with your unit. Does it happen with all bags or just one bag?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
You may have pushed in and twisted, but there is a change you didn't push down far enough. When my o-ring was swollen and wasn't going into the fitting enough it leaked substantially. I think I either put a new o-ring on, made sure the original wasn't twisted, or just removed it to solve my problem (was over a year ago, sorry I don't remember). Priced out the cost of making your own pump with a 1200 GPH tsunami, looking to be about 65-70$ depending on what type of hose you use, but you will also be using 3/4", so the GPH/flow isn't truly 1200. Going to give the sumo pump a shot before I return it, hopefully it doesn't suck.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-26-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
i have the tsunami fly high and still have problems priming. i will try the push before plug in trick and see what happens. i always plug in first. have to say i doubt it will matter but will report out.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-27-2013, 7:00 AM Reply   
Ok so i had this issue too with them leaking... the Oring isnt big enough ... they had a manufacturing issue. on the priming issue i have this issue... you have to be pushing down on the pump on the bag when you flip the switch or plug it in for it to prime properly
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-27-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
just contact them and they will send you new O-rings... in my case i bought their cheaper sacs from The house. and apparently i was the first to discover the issue with the oring... so they sent me 3 600 lb sumo sacs and a sumo pump to replace my 3 540 knock offs. huge trade up ... props to the crew at LF ... just email them and they will take care of you...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-27-2013, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
i have the tsunami fly high and still have problems priming. i will try the push before plug in trick and see what happens. i always plug in first. have to say i doubt it will matter but will report out.
It makes EVERY bit of difference. If the pump isn't pumping water, unplug it, push and hold the pump down into the sac, then plug it back in. Works every time. I fill 3 sacs in my boat every time I go out, I've got it nailed down.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-29-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
I have to stand CORRECTED. Kind of a pain if you can't reach the plug with one hand and push with the other. But it works much better. You have to be pushing on pump while you plug in to get a good prime!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-29-2013, 8:39 PM Reply   
yes! highfive!