Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    live2wakeboard            07-10-2005, 8:13 PM Reply   
Okay I kno this has nothing really to do with wakeboarding. But i was just looking at dogs and thought i would ask this ?. Who all takes there dogs out on the water with them when they go out to wakeboard and also wat kind of dog do u have? Thanks and sorry this is off subject but i was just wondering I would like to have some responses...

Lucky T
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-10-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
That's funny you post that cuzz I was gonna post that I have to start taking my dog wakeboarding and was wondering how you prevent their paws from tearing the interior,other then doggy booties(tried that and he can't walk in them)...but that's gonna be the last option.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-10-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
We take our Golden puppy, Travis, with us whenever we go camping at New Melones. Sometimes he jumps off the boat into the lake. Mostly he just hangs out on the back platform. We never take him on our day trips to the Delta, though.

Big Ed, my dog has some decent claws and so far we have not had any problems with him damaging the interior (can't say the same for the hardwood floors in my house, though..lol). We bring a few extra towels and have him lay on those on the seat. He has even walked on our fat sac side seats and they did not bust. I think we were lucky with that, though.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-10-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
I have a year and a half old weimaraner that I always take along while boating and camping. I trained her to stay off of the seats, and she knows that she cant get out of the boat untill I call for her(after I put a towel down). My dog is pretty mellow so it wasnt that hard to train her.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-10-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
Well,I have a manece(sp)?

He will try to bite the water of the boat and bark at it,he gets aggresive soon as the boat moves faster then 5mph.I haven't tried to take him on my new boat but I'm gonna have to start which means alot of the people that I ride with are gonna pass on going.LOL Maybe not the 1st time but after they go out with my dog once,It's all over.....nobody is gonna come.
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-10-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
Hi Big Ed. It was nice to meet you guys Saturday. Hope you had a good time the rest of the day.
So, out of curiosity, would you ever pay a pet-sitter/dog-walker to check in on your dog & take him for a walk when you're out all day on the boat, so you could avoid the potential hassles of having him on the boat? If so, what's the most you would pay for two half-hour visits in one day?

Mark- Beautiful dog!

(Message edited by gypsy12 on July 10, 2005)
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2005, 10:53 PM Reply   
Big Ed - I was going to tell you to leash him to the ski pylon, but then I saw the x2 in your screen name so that won't work. That is what we did to train ours to stay down and out of the way when we had a direct drive. Never had a problem with rips or anything. He is 100 lbs of love too.
He hasn't gone out with us on the new boat yet. Only a matter of time though. He looks at us then looks at his lifejacket with those sad eyes. Guilt is not a good emotion.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-10-2005, 11:39 PM Reply   
We had my friends puppy out on his boat today. Dog did great surfin'

I used to have a 90lb Lab that had run of my Nauty, and in 5 years never put a single tear in the interior.

My Brittany would go more if she was allowed in other peoples boats as I do not own a boat anymore

VLX with no interior damage from claws.
Old    mile_high_rider            07-11-2005, 2:05 AM Reply   
19 mo golden retreiver. does good until Im in the water. than he is un rulley as all hell. its almost not cute. plus he got me a phone # at the lake on wednesday. Good Boy.
Old    r_dub            07-11-2005, 5:22 AM Reply   
Our 1 1/2 year old lab is always out on the boat with us and does great. If you can, start them early. We had him out at 4 months. Never had a problem with him tearing up the interior, but we keep his nails trimmed pretty well.
He pretty much goes everywhere with us, camping mt biking, fishing, boating, whatever. And our friends don’t mind, because he is pretty mellow. And if they did, they wouldn’t get to go boating!

Words to live by,
Never trust a man who doesn’t drink beer or like dogs!
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-11-2005, 5:48 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of our boat dog... doesnt help weight the boat, but also doesnt take up space or eat much.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-11-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
Lou the Pug, we got him back in the fall so this is his first season on the boat. Like most pugs he is calm and being on the boat really doesn’t faze him. Every so often we have to dunk him in the water because he tends to over heat.

Right there with you Tim, no problems with the interior of the boat but our hardwoods are taking a beating.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Tara ~ Nice meeting you as well!

The problem with that would be that he is obsessed with me and in the new house I can't go around the corner without him jumping up and following me.He would have to know you and like you for the visits to be effective.

Is there anything I can give him to calm him down?....not beer either!
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-11-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
We take our two boxers alot when it is not right in the heat of the summer. My oldest is 80lbs and I have never had any trouble with her claws on the interior. Here is Sidney and Kiley:

Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-11-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
black lab is 2 1/2 years old, the yellow is 8 mos.

no rips at all, old vinyl too. i've found it helps keep some toys onboard and let them have their own play time or they start getting anxious and run around more.

Old    h60swimmer            07-11-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
I take my dobie everytime and she does great I'll have to find pictures...no rips just scratches up the teak swim platform but thats no big deal...she likes to ride on the engine cover DD when there is a towel on it...to cool!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-11-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Big Ed. I've taken Taz out with us before (you've met Taz). Claws on the upholstry were definitely not a problem. See my profile pic.

The problem is that he gets up and moves around in the boat while we are riding. That's like 100lbs of ballast running from one side to the other and back every minute . Oh well, we can deal with it!!!

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on July 11, 2005)
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       07-11-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
Jack is a lab/dalmatian mix. Loves the water. No problem on the boat so far. He usually sits on the seat while the boat is moving.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Our lab mix Tooney comes out with us every time. No problems on the interior.

She chills in the bow or the back seat and gets to go swimming ever so often. For some reason she loves to then shake between the dash and the person sitting in the observer sear...

Ed, dogs use paws to dissipate heat, booties may not be the best...

Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-11-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
This is Kayla and she goes nearly every time we go since she was a puppy. She rides on the top of the motor box on a inexpensive rubber backed bath mat from Target. She watches everybody in the water and is only allowed to jump off the back if told "ok". She can climb back on platform on her own also. I did have to have the platform sprayed with Line X cause of the scratches though. Never any tears in upholstery but I grind her toe nails down with die grinder. Hell she rides on the leather seats in my Super Duty & excrusion. The hair is a bitch I admit but she's worth the trouble.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   

Old    bobbymucic            07-11-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
No rips in the vinyl from my lab either.

Big Ed...Some people giveBenedryl tablets for pets to calm them while travelling.
Old    mile_high_rider            07-11-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
whenever a rider is done it is my dog LOKI's job to save them. he will tow you back to the boat. he also enjoys the periodic beer can toss, and he is gettin really good at jumping off the boat.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
yeah, when i went to the boat show that was every boat dealers big argument about there vinyl being better because dogs cannot puncture the vinyl.

all the newer boats should be able to handle dog claws no problem, i think there made strong w/ that in mind.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-11-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
Here is one of my favorites. Although he loves the MC - the Donzi is his favorite. He also rides on the Sea Doo. Here he is waiting to go for a ride....

Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-11-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
THAT is a great pic!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
Cools pics. Nice looking dog Jarrod.

Check the wake from my Vizsla (with 58 lbs of built in ballast)!

dog_wake
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
Keith ~ That is an awsome pic.It reminds me of my dog but he loves car rides,I'm sure he loves boats too but that's where the problem comes in.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
That dog GD is throwing a pretty nice wake.
Old    voodoo            07-11-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
When we were partying in a cove this guy strolled by with his dogs it was cracking me up!!!!!
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-11-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
Here's Raley and Marshall. I have a pretty big decision to make rather quickly as I'm picking up my new boat on Wednesday... and I don't know whether they'll be getting to ride in it right away or not. Problem is that I live on a ski lake and they were always in my old boat.
dogs
Old    jesiday            07-11-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Here are our two boat dogs. The 14 week old male on the left is Cobalt, and the 14 month old female on the right is Carat. Unfortunately, San Vicente Resevior in SoCal doesn't allow dogs on boats (yeah, it's dumb), but anywhere else we go, they go.

Mark-- pretty dog

BTW, it is nice to see everyone who incorporates their best friend into the family!!!

Jesi

Weatherruns Premier Persuasion and CH Silversmith Diamonds R Forever
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-11-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
I can attest from experience that Rick's dog Kayla is the best boat dog I've seen. She sits right on the motor and fetches off the swim step. Great dog.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Jessica, those are some great looking dogs! My wife is begging me to let her get another weimaraner. I think that the next one we get is going to be a silver-grey like yours are.
Old    jesiday            07-11-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
Mark,

We got our second one about a month ago, and it has made a lot of difference in our girls attitude. She seems much happier to have someone to play with and to boss around. I had to talk my husband into getting a second one, but I don't think he would give Cobalt up for anything!
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Jessica, do you or your husband do any bird hunting with your dogs? I was amazed at the instincts that our dog has. I didnt start hunting untill we got our Weim. My wife and I both decided that once we get out of school (1 year left) we are going to get 1 more before we start having kids.

Our female seems to have a little separation anxiety when we leave(just gets really sad) so I am thinking that another pup around the house will help out. This is the first Weim that we have ever owned and I could not be happier!
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Here is my dog Cooper out on the boat. Yes he is wearing a life jacket. He can't swim real well but loves to fetch off the swim deck. He is part Lab but I'm guessing the water dog part got left out of the mix.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-11-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
my dog is the one on the left

she is always the first one into our boat (she knows shes not allowed in other peoples boats, she gets in and sits in the passenger seat watching the rider the whole time. she also barks at teh driver when the rider falls, shes a better spotter than some of the people we get on the boat
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2005, 6:46 AM Reply   
Cabo the Boxer dog enjoying a day on the river.

Old    ag4ever            07-12-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
Our goes with us about 90% of the time. I have never had a tear or scratch in the vinyl caused by him, now my Air Chair that is another story.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-12-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
We take our boy Logan with us on camping trips out of town and he does great. No tears or rips in the vinyl but sometimes he thinks he has to jump out to get the handle when you throw it out to the boarder...
Logan
Logan1
Old    skatie            07-12-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
great pictures!!! here are my two, the first is cedric and he LOVES to go on the boat and swims every chance he gets, the second one is elle and she hates the water, but she always finds a comfy spot!

image/bmpcedric
cedric.bmp (60.1 k)

image/bmpelle
elle.bmp (60.1 k)
Old    tuck224            07-12-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
This is Sandi she's almost nine, but still has the heart of a puppy.

sandi
Old    live2wakeboard            07-12-2005, 5:16 PM Reply   
All the pics are great and i could of never guessed that there are these many people who take there dogs with them. Its awesome!!!! I hope there are more people to so keep posting lol.... Thanks Lucky T
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
Hey! don't laugh...They're my wifes.

Old    walt            07-12-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
Here's are a few pics of Shawn and Kami's dog Star.

Old    justsomeguy            07-12-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
"Hey! don't laugh...They're my wifes. "

No laughing here. Where do you think the most tender Kung Pao "chicken" comes from?
Old    justsomeguy            07-12-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
While our 12 year old dog stays at home, our pup goes with us on the boat. Even if he's unsure of the wisdom of our route at times.

(he's in the middle getting a drink)
Old    gw_mark            07-13-2005, 9:39 AM Reply   
When I rode, they had to hold her from jumping in and joining me. weird dog!
boat dog
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
JSG....what an awesome picture!
Old    skatie            07-13-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
david and lisa,
i can't believe those little guys swim! that is hysterical! i'm loving all the pictures! sorry i'm completely computer illiterate, i have no idea why my pictures didn't post like everyone else's....
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
Mark ~ Hahaha you think that is holding the dog,man they are just touching the dog.When my dog goes for it,you better do alot better of a job holding him.I 2nd that....my weird dog!and that is a great pic.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on July 13, 2005)
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-13-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
Ed what kinda dog go ya have?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
Leo has a lab retriever that does tantrums. Maybe he'll post the pictures.
Old    gw_mark            07-13-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
Thanks big Ed but that is the smaller dog, she is allowed on the boat, my Rottweiler turns into the biggest baby on the boat and is banded for life from the water. But still loves the car.

Dogs that drive, owners need not apply
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-13-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
Skatie,

There is a size limit on pics for posting here. If you have some that you'd like reduced send them my way and I can do it.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
I got a rottweiler mix with golden retriever?Looks like a golden rottweiler therefore named him goldie after the P.I.M.P.

b\c he used to pimp all his biaocthes in the neiborhood.LOL
Old    skatie            07-13-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
david,
thanks for the offer! i thought that by making them the right amount of pixels they would be smaller, but i'm getting the idea that that is not what compressing them is! i'll see if i can figure it out. thanks!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-13-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
ED, cool haha hope I don't do a raily and he moves on me and the wake washes out. Ouch that will hurt.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-13-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
Pics of my dog Charlie. She is an 8 month old red heeler and she loves going on the boat. She lays on the seat while we are at full speed but when we are at idle she loves to stand in the very front of the bow as a lookout. Other dog is my parents dog Callie playing in the channel when our lake was lowered.
pic1
pic2
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
Just got back from taking my manace(dog)out for the 1st time on my new boat and actually he was really good.At the end this stand up jet ski was getting like 20'-30' away and my dog got alittle aggressive like he knows how to be.....can you blame the guy tho?

all in all,it was really,really good and we are gonna be doing this almost every day,just not sure how he will act when a rider is out there or better yet when I'm out there.
Old    gw_mark            07-13-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
Guaranteed he will freak Ed! I usually use a 6 foot leash and tie him to the pylon in the middle of the boat cause no one can hold him, body harnesses are good too. Take some pics of your pup, like to see them.
Old    gw_mark            07-13-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
Whoops, just saw your boat in your profile, that might not work, maybe around the drivers seat. Good luck!
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
this is my girlfriends pug named tahoe
Old    dyonisus            07-16-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
Our boy, a Yellow Lab who will be 3 this August comes to the beach with us, tries to ride the Boat but is not too settled around water, always tries to jump in. Loves swimming more then boating
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-16-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Hey Ed we have an x-2 and our lab will not sit still so I bought a second cover for the center plug and mounted a d ring to it and tied him off and it works like a charm.
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-16-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
This is daisy
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-16-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
This is daisy. she rides like a hood ornament on the bow of the boat. She was trying out the kids doggles for wind deflection

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-16-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
Eric ~ the little round cover in the floor?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2005, 8:09 PM Reply   
just cant let the dogs on the bu. One can't swim and the other is allowed on my other boat.

Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   

Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-16-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
Ooh, all those pics are sooo cute. Nichi,your dog looks like it's part sharpei also and they don't like water.
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
Alexis - You are right. He is part Lab, Sharpei and something else too. He loves to be in the water to swim but hates to be sprayed or splashed and he sinks.

There are some really good pictures of dogs. It's great to see that boating is for the "whole" family.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-17-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
Got a question for you dog peoples.... my friend and I both have nice boats. our regular third (female, no boat) wants to bring her dog with us on day trips. my friend is a perfectionest (anal) when it comes to keeping his boat in real nice condition and im close behind that. do we let pooch have the run of the boat? were both concerned about accidental rips, scratches, dog hair, accidental dookies, etc....opinions?? yea or nay
Old    mile_high_rider            07-17-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
how,um, tallented is she?
Old    jesiday            07-17-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Paul,
Anal cannot begin to describe my husband and his*my* boat. You can't even say the word Cheetos in his presence.
However, whenever we can, we take our dogs on the boat with us. We make sure to potty them before we go, and I always dremel their nails really short. Sometimes, nail clippers will leave ragged edges, and these could pose a real hazard to vinyl. As far as hair, almost all dogs shed so it is very probable that there will be hair.
I would ask if her dog has ever been on a boat before... that could give you some insight to temperment.
Anyway, that's my .02, hope it helps.

Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-17-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
weeeeeelllllll...... rumour says quite...but in reality just a real good friend
Old    lovin_the_sport            07-18-2005, 12:26 AM Reply   
Those are all awsome pics!!!

Jess- beautiful dogs!

-hannah
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
Kieth Wilton,
That pic is freekin' great! So subtle!

David Polk, Beagles rock! Does yours like to swim? Mine will wade, but she's not real happy about swimming.
Old    justsomeguy            07-19-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Dog problems. On Friday we discovered why we were always short on beer.

We're going to keep him ona shorter leash.