Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    xxplosive            03-08-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
How good is the Average wakeboarder? I can do like 180s and grabs, and almost do a Tantrum (hopefully my new gear will remedy this). I guess it seems like a stupid question but do the really good people judge the not so good people and seperate themselves from them? Or is most everyone cool with anyones skill level and always welcome to them?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-08-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
With my friends and me, it's not about skills, or lack of...it's about the attitude they bring in the boat, and the attitude they display while riding.
Old    xxplosive            03-08-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
Thats about how it is with my friends. I'm not the worst there are couple that can barly do w2w while others pulling 3s and tantrums, others add front and toeside stuff to that and the ebst guy is tournament level throwing KGBs, whirlybirds, frontside 5s and other crazy stuff. Just asking cause if I were ever to go out with someone other than my normal group I wouldn't know what to expect.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-08-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
Everyone that I ride with will go out on a limb to help someone no as talented yet. We don't judge anyone on the water for their skills or lack of. The one's that are good started there and have put many moons behind them to do what they do.

This is my rule for my boat-
-Do NOT put down another rider that is being towed behind my boat or another rider on the water. If you make fun of someones riding skills that person will not have the confidence he/she needs to overcome that trick or their fear.
-Last year my brother almost quit boarding because he got judged by someone in my boat. That is why that rule started.
-If we want this sport to grow even bigger and better lets not judge or rage on others. Lets help them out so they to can have as much fun as we do.
Old    blind5            03-08-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
We are the same way that mike is. We don't critisize anyone that rides with us.

Do any of you guys not like being asked what you can throw?
Old    xxplosive            03-08-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
I'll admit that I will bust out laughing at a trippy fall or crazy bust (sometimes my friend will just be riding and like all of a sudden he just like disapears into the water its weird as hell but funny as see). I'm not judging him at all, and I will always lend my knowledge to anyone that could use it
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
ya i dont ever judge anyone riding with me, usually its someone that has never tried it before so i am teaching them just how to get up, im not very good myself, just 180s some grabs and a few attempts away from a 3, so im not going to be one to negatively criticize someone elses ability, i just offer advice when i can
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-08-2004, 10:36 PM Reply   
I never tell anyone how I ride, until after I've ridden. Even after I ride I tell folks that "yeah it was fun". I don't think i've ever heard someone criticize their fellow wakeboarder. If anything I'll challenge a friend and tell them to step it up and listen to the advice they are given. An outside observer is the best coach.
Old     (blueplastic)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-09-2004, 11:31 PM Reply   
It's boring to watch someone learning how to ride for the first time, unless that someone is a hot chick.

I prefer riding with people who are at least intermediate and attempting inverts and rolls. They're much more fun to watch than someone standing on the board awkwardly for 30 seconds then falling b/c the boat turned or the wake hit them...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-09-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
i ride with the full spectrum of people. from people who just got up, to people who are in ads in the magazines. i fall somewhere in the middle.

i like having cool people out in the boat. people who catch on to simple things like helping out filling the sacks for example.
Old    brettly            03-09-2004, 11:49 PM Reply   
Don't matter about how you ride, it's all about the stoke!
Old    grampawakerider            03-11-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
I'm still going for my first w2w, but I have fun trying!! On my boat we are always applauding and complimenting efforts. Every time out we learn a little more. We've been riding since June '03.
Old    centraltxrider            03-11-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
me and my friends take pride in making fun of each other. where's the fun if you dont?
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-11-2004, 8:52 PM Reply   
Joking around is one thing, but putting someone down for their skills is another. Or saying something negative to another boarder as you are passing by because he fell is also wrong. I joke around but i make sure they know that too
Old     (blueplastic)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-11-2004, 10:13 PM Reply   
I joke around, but make sure the other guy knows that I actually meant it.
Old    centraltxrider            03-11-2004, 10:22 PM Reply   
yah dude, but if you try a huge trick and totally f*** up, you can't help but to let that person know they are hilarious for messin up
Old    missjade            03-12-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
I think it's fun watching beginners because they are so stoked to get something really simple, and sometimes they do faceplants that really look funny. At the intermediate level, our falls aren't really very funny anymore, most falls on really huge tricks are not hilarious in any way. To laugh on a butterslide faceplant is ok, but to laugh on a dangerous invert attempt is not.