Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-15-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
A few weeks back, I decided to jump on the rapidly expanding bandwagon of smartwatch users.. Well the watch came on Thursday and after a few days of use, I feel that I'm ready to report. I know some of you guys are into tech stuff like this so I figured I could make a solid contribution here.

First off, the thing is light! It's essentially a lot of rubber and plastic, so not much metal to weigh it down. It's not obstructive and fits comfortably on my wrist, which is something that concerned me when I was initially looking into it.

Second, it lasts forever! The E-Paper display is similar to a Kindle and doesn't glare in sunlight and certainly doesn't use a ton of battery. I'm not watching movies on my wrist so not having any kind of HD screen doesn't bother me. It is not a touch screen either, which again I am fine with, as I forsee issues with durability in devices that will implement such materials in a high traffic area like the wrist. I have yet to charge it after my initial charge, coming on 5 days of nonstop use and connection via bluetooth to my iPhone. It essentially is an extension of my notification center, I've got time (obviously), calendar access, GPS location, music control, weather, iPhone battery indicator, lost iPhone ping (awesome for those in-between-the-cushion days) and camera shutter. I downloaded an app called SmartWatch+ to get me some of these extra watchfaces and features, but at only $2 it was pretty negligible in the scope of the $150 I paid for the watch itself.

Connectivity is pretty consistent, I generally don't have to re-pair to my phone although if I break about 25ft away from my phone, I do have to go in and reconnect . The connection will break underwater though, so taking it swimming will not do a ton of good if I'm trying to stay connected. That said, the device is waterPROOF to 5 ATM, and the company encourages people to be confident in using it around water, so I've been trying it out. Showering and being out in the lake haven't shown any problems thus far, although I did scare myself when I got soap on the screen and it turned all rainbow colored. Took me a couple minutes to realize what I had done, but after that, no issues.

All in all, I am 100% satisifed with the purchase. I know it sounds a little silly to get all my notifications and such to my wrist if my phone is just in my pocket which is probably next to my wrist most of the time anyway, but it's great for if I'm multitasking and need to answer a phonecall hands-free or see who is trying to get ahold of me. It can accept/deny phone calls for me, and gives a pretty good preview of any texts or emails that come through. I ordered a Slickwrap to protect my investment, but so far haven't had any impact or scratch issues! Just had to share my excitement for a new product, and I think we'll see the smartwatch market boom pretty soon!

I ordered it from getpebble.com, but I've seen a few on ebay and other sites for various prices less than that!

Best,
Jordan
Attached Images