Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mcmichael13)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-14-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Hey guys looking for some opinion here. I am in the market for a new wakeboard and I am having difficulty deciding. I have always riding a traditional board and was going to go with the 2011 Ronix Ibex ATR (I absolutely love the design/graphic and have always ridden Ronix). However, my brother has been riding a slingshot response and says that the flex is where its at. I know there is another thread about flex behind boats and I read all the posts in there. I wish I could test out both boards to see which one i liked riding more. Like I said, I have always used a traditional board so I don't know how I would adapt to the flex board. I live in NJ and my brother lives in Wisconsin so I can't exactly just go try out his board haha. I do prefer the Ronix design over any flex board design I have seen.

Thoughts?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-14-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
I'd take slingshot any day over ronix. I know they are supossedly making them more sturdy this year, but I've never seen a brand with more broken boards than ronix last year. If I was to get rid of my Lyman I'd go back to slingshot in a heart beat. I'd never buy myself a ronix.
Old     (wakeboarder557)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-14-2011, 6:33 PM Reply   
Ronix District. Flex boards are garbage behind the boat.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
^^^ what he said.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-14-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
Try a Ronix flex board? Phoenix it up.
But seriously, the only way to know for sure is to try it. I personally dislike flex behind the boat, but love it on rails, and I have friends that swear they will never ride a stiff board again. This probably isnt news to you, but you just have to try it.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-14-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
+1 for Ronix....
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 8:18 PM Reply   
Whaaaat! Flex = garbage behind a boat?! I'm sure you never tried a Slingshot. Ask to all pro wakeboarder who switched to flex. Whatever! For me, traditional boards feel dead. Get any board of the 2011 Slingshot ballistic line... pretty stiff but still flex. I tried the Newton and it rocks. You can feel the energy in the board. Best technology ever! Plus, it's tough!
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2011, 3:47 AM Reply   
Hey Rob, I can't offer any advice on flex vs. stiff as I have only ridden stiff to this point. Although the new ballistic series and the Lyman by Slingshot have intrigued me.

Where in NJ do you ride? I live and ride in the Hunterdon/Warren County area on the Delaware and other rivers.

Paul
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-15-2011, 4:59 AM Reply   
My last board before a slingshot was the Ibex so here is my opinion on the matter:

Once I made the switch to slingshot I NEVER thought about the ibex again. I had the first year of the Ibex (donno if it changed since) but now have had a new recoil every year since.... my favorite board all time (except maybe old DNA core Byerly). It basically took everything I liked about the Ibex and made it better.
Seemed faster on the water with less drag, smoother going from edge to edge, softer landings, better more agressive pop, and I liked the way it tracked better without fins.

And anyone who things flex is trash behind a boat is fooling themself. There is a slight learning curve to popping them right, but once you get how to load the board up it is crazy.

I 100% suggest a slingshot
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-15-2011, 5:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder557 View Post
Ronix District. Flex boards are garbage behind the boat.
There is a whole thread not too far away from this one that disproves this.
Old     (mcmichael13)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-15-2011, 6:21 AM Reply   
If I could convince Ronix to lend their Ibex ATR graphic design to slingshot for a board I would buy it now haha. I am just a little weary buying a flex board and then not liking it with my riding style. I know it varies from person to person on what they like. Some love the flex, some hate it. I am really thinking about the Slingshot Hooke now though. Anyone have experience with the RAD boots? How the sizing run (small or big)?

@paulharenberg, mainly I have been riding up in bordentown. My friends with a boat live in haddonfield and we drive up there to put it in. I'm not sure i'll be able to go with them much this year though so I've been searching for other means of tow.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-15-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmichael13 View Post
If I could convince Ronix to lend their Ibex ATR graphic design to slingshot for a board I would buy it now haha. I am just a little weary buying a flex board and then not liking it with my riding style. I know it varies from person to person on what they like. Some love the flex, some hate it. I am really thinking about the Slingshot Hooke now though. Anyone have experience with the RAD boots? How the sizing run (small or big)?

@paulharenberg, mainly I have been riding up in bordentown. My friends with a boat live in haddonfield and we drive up there to put it in. I'm not sure i'll be able to go with them much this year though so I've been searching for other means of tow.
I think the new lyman is the best looking slinshot board out there. i like its graphics even better than the new ibex, though I do like the ibex graphics quite a bit this year
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-15-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
i have the '10(same shape as '11) ibex and its incredible, pop is MASSIVE. it has the second largest surface area in ronix line behind the district.
youll definatly want the .8 slider fins though.

theres not a single pro on any of the boat wake tours riding a slingshot...
Old     (mcmichael13)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-15-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
I really like my bro's Ronix One. It is an 09' I believe.

This past weekend, first ride:

If the flex boards really absorb the impact of the landing I would be more inclined to go bigger off the wake. Part of my concern is my knees and a bad hip that are affected when I am landing out in the flats all the time so I tend to try to not land out there haha.

I wish wakeboards were buy one get one free so then I could have both the traditional and the flex haha.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-15-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post

I think that's about to quickly change, they are really starting to sign pros. The fact that Lyman went with them speaks volumes about what they can do behind a boat
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
i have the '10(same shape as '11) ibex and its incredible, pop is MASSIVE. it has the second largest surface area in ronix line behind the district.
youll definatly want the .8 slider fins though.

Well I watched Oli Derome ride his Slingshot board all the way through finals at the Dallas PWT., and he was one of the more fun riders to watch.
Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-15-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
^^^^
Oli rips. He was riding the Phoenix when he rode for Ronix as well.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
Oli ride a Recoil on the rail and a Newton behind the boat, maybe he ride more boards than that but I saw him riding these 2. For the rest of the pros, it's a matter of time to watch more and more of them switching to flex. The biggest boards companies ( liquid force, hyperlite, ronix, cwb) don't produce so much flex boards and they contract the top ranking riders... Slingshot is a new company but it grow up fast cause of the quality of the product. I'm pretty sure they are gonna signe more top ranking pros in the futur!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
Isnt the lyman a hooke? Which slingshot is the stiffest.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
Newton, Hooke, Kine and probably the Lyman.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-15-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Isnt the lyman a hooke? Which slingshot is the stiffest.
Don't think so, if you watch the Lyman farewell video he talks about helping design a big wake wakeboard wiht slingshot. So it sounds like it's a completely different design form the hooke
Old     (do420jc)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Nice wake Rob. Must have been a Malibu. The pics came out nice. For what it's worth, I road a Slingshot Response before the O'Brien I was riding the other night. I road a traditional board long before the Slingshot and loved em all. Once I got the Response I thought I would never go back. I wanted to try a new board for sh-ts and giggles so I bought the Decade. For me I do not miss the Response one bit. So glad I went back to traditional. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-16-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
Slingshot is the truth... spent the last year behind the boat on the Recoil and its money Never buy a board for the graphic dude... its all about how it rides. Ronix has some good looking boards but SS's designs are hands down the most unique in the industry and the product is unreal. You won't be disappointed.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-16-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
Find a way to demo a slingshot, that is the only way you will know if you like flex or not.

Slingshot makes great boards, i know many that ride slingy behind the boat and love the ride!

good luck on your quest to try flex!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-16-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
I rode a severance behind boat and now I'm on a phoenix. Flex really doesn't suck behind a boat
Old     (mcmichael13)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-23-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
I think i'm going 2011 Hooke with the RAD bindings... So many people have so many good things to say about the board and the binding... and i have 30 days to return it for something else...
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       06-23-2011, 2:51 PM Reply   
I just went to Ronix One from the HL Tribute, and wow what a difference. That board has great pop and it has really helped my progression. I also have the One Bindings best on the market, with the Tribute I had to use the extenders because the HL was a 8 in pattern. Both the Ones rock!!!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-23-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmichael13 View Post
I think i'm going 2011 Hooke with the RAD bindings... So many people have so many good things to say about the board and the binding... and i have 30 days to return it for something else...
That's the setup I really wanted, though now the lyman would replace the hooke. Wish my local shop would pick up slingshot..........
Old     (mcmichael13)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-24-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
I wish I had a local board shop haha. I ended up ordering from "the-house". I would have supported a local shop if there was one around here. So stoked to get this thing on the water and test it out.