Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    mtb1981            08-09-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
So I was looking at the SANs the other day and I noticed something was misplaced...the drain plug. My absolutely favorite thing about the X-Star is not the tower or the wake, but the fact that there is a drain plug in the center of the boat accessible through the main floor. That way you dont even have to get into the water to take it out. Why isnt correct craft doing something like this?
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-09-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
I nominate this for post of the year, not only the the fact that the drain plug your favorite feature, but you, "dont even have to get into the water to take it out."

Uhhhh.... I like to take my drain plug out all the time..... While I'm in the water!!!

Just ribbing you, please don't get bent and hate!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-09-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
Wonder if the CC guys are reading this and thinking you'd be better off with a Master Craft anyway?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Just curious, do you ever pull the plug on your SAN? Obviously you use it all the time, seems like a waste to pull it after every session. If you used it once ever few months or stored it for the winter then I guess it's not a bad idea. I have never pulled my plug, just use the bilge pump when needed. But nothing beyond that. That alone drains most if not all the water in the bilge.

Seems strange a performance part like that is so important to one person, but never put to use by me!!!

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
I just thought of something. What if Mark had a lift in a slip that he keeps his boat on? Not sure if that is the case but that could make a difference in his post.
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2004, 3:55 PM Reply   
I have an '03 SANTE, and the only thime I had to ever pull out my plug was when I had to replace the "plug gasket"......Come on Mark most guys I know never take their plugs out. Unless the bilge is jacked up or plugged.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-09-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
Nah, I only pull it if I know that I have taken a roller or two over the bow, or if I'm on my way home from a big trip. Wanna ride the Backwater this Saturday?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-09-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
I think JF nailed it with his last post... the boat must be on a lift.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Darn it. I am being forced to go to Big Bear this weekend LOL But my plan is to try to cut out early Sunday for a session on the backwater. We hit it yesterday, started out with one other boat for the first hour, ended with about 10! LOL Will you be around Sunday? "hijack complete" Sorry )
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-09-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
i actually know quite a few people that take their drain plugs out after they are done riding and put the boat on the trailer.

and how do you remove the plug if you leave your boat on a lift? hmmm
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-09-2004, 6:42 PM Reply   
I've seen people remove the plug when trailering but I don't understand why. Can't the bilge pump keep up with the little bit of water that gets in the boat? Even if the boat takes one over the bow, I'd think that most bilge pumps would get rid of the water in a few minutes.

The way I see it, the plug is only useful if you want to wash down your bilge, in which case you would want it in the back, not in the center.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-09-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
I left the main plug on malibu in last winter after I trashed the rudder and it sat for a month or so. the mildew was really bad. There is actually 3 plugs on my boat, one is always out, it drains the locker to the back(my heater is f'd up and pumps water into the locker)then there is the main and the rear, I always pull the main and the rear now, and the boat stays alot cleaner
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-09-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
I pull my drain pug after each time out... I don't know why I just do. The bilge pump is elivated slightly and the lowest point of the boat is still the center of my boat. I just like to have all the water out after each time. It seems like every time I go up a steep hill water comes out, plus I have a long drive home.
Old    74skier            08-09-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
In Wisconsin we have this exotic species problem in our waterways. I'm taking a wild guess here that all states have this problem. IMHO, if you trailer to other lakes, its a good idea to pull the plug an leave that water at that lake and whatever else may be in it.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
Fiberglass is water resistant, not water proof. Keep your bilge dry and it will assist in preventing absorbtion and blistering. My boat has a stern and a center drain plug. I keep the bilge dry as a matter of habit and never have a mildew problem or a water asorbtion problem. Pull the plug whenever on the trailer and let it dry out.
Old    tommyadrian5            08-09-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
karl hit it on the dot
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-09-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
Kudo's to Karl, also keep your cover vented & make sure it is all dry before putting it up for a long time.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-10-2004, 5:09 AM Reply   
How to you vent your cover?
Old    nooner            08-10-2004, 5:43 AM Reply   
Funny Mark should make a statement like that. Especially since my old 85 model Correct craft had the plug under the engine in the middle of the boat. The SAN has it on the back. I sure hated getting down on my knees and reach under the warm engine to get the plug out. Now its super easy. you take it out while on the trailer. You would think its better in the back because when you tow it. The water is forced to the back of the boat and it drains all the way. Also you can leave the boat jack up and the water would drain if you washed the inside or the bilge area. If it was in the middle like the old nautique then you have to have the boat perfectly level to get all the water out. Oh yea nothing worse than forgetting to pull the plug. Leaving your boat outside over night when a huge rain storm hits and waking up with a boat half full of water.
Old    mtb1981            08-10-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
To fill you all in, I have a 91 four winns and yes, we do keep it on a lift when not in use. Unfortunately we only use it on the weekends since it is in wisconsin about 1 1/2 hours away. We dont have one of those nifty lift covers, so when we store it until next time we throw on the boat cover which usually lets some water into the boat, hence the need to take out the drain plug. My thing is that the water is usually cold, and I'm always the one who has to hop in and put the plug in/out each time. I just saw the X-Star which has both on the transom and in the center. I'm not sure about older CC's but THe new SANs only have the transom accessible from the outside, if I'm not mistaken.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-10-2004, 6:48 AM Reply   
my 'bu has a T-handle drain right in front of the engine (lowest point on the boat) and another T-handle in the forward MLS area (i.e. ski locker, it is separated from the rear bilge area.) it also has a square head plug in the back. I always take the t-handle plugs out but have never removed the one in back.
Old    mtb1981            08-10-2004, 7:10 AM Reply   
Ecactly what I think is the greatest idea ever. Since my lift is only in about 4' of water, I get in every time to take the plug out of the transom with a wrench. It's a pain and I think the T-handle idea is awesome. I guess I was just trying to ask why CC didnt add this feature when they are supposed to be one of the top builders.
Old    bambamski            08-10-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
I pull mine after every use (I have the t handle in the middle of the boat). Notice the CC owners, none of them seem to pull their plugs, probably cause there plug is in the back of the boat? Your bilge never gets all the water out. When I pull mine there is usually about an inch or two in the bottom which would just sit there for the whole summer if I didn't pull the plug.

Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-10-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
I guess it just varies, boat-to-boat. My bilge pump is right in front of the drain and practically sucks the bilge dry. Come to think of it, it actually sits in a slight depression (1 or 2mm) so maybe that's why.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-10-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
My Sport Nautique has the center drain plug and the back drain plug.

A SAN does not have the center plug because there is no access to the bilge where it would be located under the floor. With the d-drive boats it's under the engine and easy to access under the engine cover.

CC offers an electric drain plug option that allows you to remotely open/close the back drain plug on a SAN.

Why not just get that option if you are looking at buying a SAN? Or retrofit a used SAN that does not have that option.

Pretty weak reason to say CC is slacking. Especially, since they have been doing this for years and nobody else has complained.
Old    newtique            08-10-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
Maybe the recreational pharmaceuticals are taking their toll!
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-10-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
I never pull my plug becuase the boat never has any water in it. Dripless packing glands are an option (and a recommended option at that for V Drives) on the SAN's. Other than water over the front or rain, water does not get in the boat. My plug stays in and there is no water on the bottom of my boat.
Old    mtb1981            08-10-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Greg- I have never heard of the electric drain plug option, do you ahve a link? That sounds pretty cool. And to clarify, I was looking at them, not looking to buy one of them. Regardless of wether they have the center plug or not, that is my boat of choice. I wasnt trying to knock CC, maybe just push them to a really nice and useful feature in my opinion. And the pharmaceuticals wore off a while ago, do you have any to spare, John? :-)
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Hard not to get water in a boat on occasion, just riders/swimmers getting in and out adds some. Or throwing 1500 to 2000 pounds plus people in the boat usually leads to the occasional roller over the bow. But my bilge pump seems to get most if not all the water out when that happens. I can honestly say I have never taken mine out and because of that I have never forgot to put it back in too! LOL
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-10-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
What about coolers on the SAN's? A friend has an '04 and I believe the bow and rear coolers drain into the bilge...more important than that is the center cooler doesn't drain at all! That was a big mistake by CC's cooler technology people. You have to use a sac pump to remove the water....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
All the coolers(front, middle and back) in my '03 drain....

E.J.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-10-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
All the coolers in my 02, 03 and 04 drain. That is if I use them. That is an interesting option for a thread. Who uses thier built in coolers. We just skip that and carry a cooler in and out of the boat.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
Phil, that's a good question. We don't use our on board cooler hardly at all. The only time I ever use it is if I forget another cooler at the house. When the ice starts to melt, all the drinks are really loud as they slam against the fiberglass in ours, plus I think it is just a pain loading and unloading it.
Old    markb            08-10-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
Nick - I don't recall mine ever slaming around. I think you just need to get busy and suck them down faster.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
I use the one in front and side, one in back melts ice faster than leaving it on the sunpad and thus has become dry storage. Also carry on a cooler....

E.J.
Old    ag4ever            08-10-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
I take the plug out everytime I pull the boat out. I figure it will allow all the water to drain on the ride home. I then leave it out in storage, just in case there is a roof leak that would fill the boat up with water. I don't want my boat full to the gunnels with water on the inside, only the outside.

I saw an older (late 90's) Ski Nautique on a lift, and there was no drain plug at the back of the boat, and I wondered why CC forgot the plug. Guess what one person thinks is normal, others think is wierd.

BTW, I use the dash cooler on my '02 SANTE as it is very convienent for getting drinks, the ice stays fairly well (not as good as an insulated cooler, but well enought). I don't use the bow cooler, as the first sharp turn I take, sends all the ice into the bilge, and it is uslessly small. also it can't be used as dry storage, as rollers over the bow drench the front when it happens. And, mine has a nice dry storage bin where the coolers is on the newer SANs under the pass seating. Also my dash does not have the radio in it, otherwise I could not use that as a cooler.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-10-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Mark,

I have only seen it on the options list when you look on their site or brochures.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-11-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
I forgot to put the plugs in on memorial weekend, got to the riding spot and my skate shoes were wet. I knew right awy and within seconds had them both in. It scared the crap out of me though.....
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
To me it makes sense to have a center plug since I like to take that plug out to let any water drain and it is the lowest part of the boat on mine (X2). But I can also see how some people don't like the access cover necessary to get to it on v-drives.

But a real example of slacking design in my view -- a mooring cover with under-belly straps...

Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-12-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
Fredrik, that pic is awesome. That is truly a horrible idea! That person should be fired...

We take the plug out every time boat is out of water, never a hassle at all. (x-2)

In boat coolers are usless, they become dry storage.

A bad design i've always thought is the fiberglass platforms. The first time i went off of one of those i about broke myself. I jump to get off and my fins and board get stuck on the rubber part, yet my body is still getting wet....also it hurts your knees and shins when getting back on. And they are ugly. *My Thoughts*
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-12-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
i added a center T-handle drain plug to my VLX, in the very back of the ski locker. it was very easy to do, and the plug & ferrule were only like $40 or so from www.marinehardware.com.

mine only came with the transom plug, which is about 4" higher than the lowest point in the hull when it's trailered. the bilge pump is also right next to the transom, so no help there. i could crank the trailer jack all the way up, and still have a pool in the hull.

not sure wtf they were thinking there... kinda like the early-90's Nautiques with the molded swim pform & raked transom. they take water over the back all the time unless you're very vigilant. did they ever lake test this design?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-12-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
oh yeah, and my built-in cooler is a joke as well. it's shoe storage now, but probably will be dual-battery location next season.
Old    mtb1981            08-12-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
I think this has turned into more of a "what dont you like about your boat that you wish the manufacturers would change" thread. And I wish my boat really did have the center plug. (Just to be redundant)
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-12-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
trace, have you looked underneath your v-drive. that is where my main plug is. I was unaware it was there for ahwile
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-12-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
nope, no such thing on my 96 model. i actually considered installing mine there since it's the typical location, but decided on the flat spot in front of the tracking fin instead.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-12-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
Yeah, I mean why would you want to get in the water while you're at the lake. It's okay you don't have to be jealous just because you wish you bought a SAN instead. Master Craft owners are just mad because they know that Mastercraft will always play second fiddle to Nautique
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-17-2004, 10:41 PM Reply   
you don't even have a boat.