Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
Ok don't flame me, I check out the hotboat.net site off and on. It's a good place to get Colorado River boating information. Anyway I came across this thread about what to do when you see a red flag out. I thought this was a funny response. To me it seems wakeboarders in general probably know this rule better than any other type of boater. But they think we have no clue and in fact think we are idots for NOT power turning back to our rider. Just thought you might get a kick out of their perception of us! LOL.....

I quickly look for the bobbing head in the water to use as a ski bouy.....

actually, I was shown a courtesy thing from my delta buddy long time ago.

the driver would raise his hand to indicate to the boat with the flag up that

we could see their skier, and rope in the water.......... that was awhile ago.

new-found wakeboarders have no clue what that signal means nowadays..

that and most of them just idle back to the rider, or let their rope hang

cross-ways in a channel.......... lack of concern for most others seems the

norm these days on the delta.

--Sherpa
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-13-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
I hope you posted a message letting them know why we idle back to the rider.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
I'm not registered there, just lurk. I will find the link to the thread and post it.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-13-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
Put a link back to this thread, that way they will know that we think the same of them (no clue) when it comes to power turns, throwing rollers into a smooth path.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Here it is!!!

http://www.hotboat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60345
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-13-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
Anybody notice the ID of the thread starter? BlowmeafterPractice. A little TOO much team spirit?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-13-2004, 11:13 PM Reply   
It has been a number of years since I have been boating in the Colorado river, but if it is anything like it was 30 years ago I would power turn to get back to a fallen rider as well.

The river is lined with bars, and there are far too many people out there who are not paying attention. You leave your rider a few hundred yards back for very long and you may not have a rider to pick up!

Safety is my number 1 concern. If I see a boat heading in the general direction of a fallen skier, and the *driver* isn't signaling that he sees my fallen skier (everybody does know that signal and used, don't you?) I will power turn to get my boat in his way to protect the rider.

If there is no danger then I will idle down, turn and make my way back. Such a condition was pretty rare on the river back when I called it my home spot.

Rod McInnis
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-14-2004, 1:45 AM Reply   
We all know its much better to power turn so we turn wide in the channel and send up rollers to make it hard for other boats to see our swimmer and enjoy OUR water.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Rod,

if you look close at the post the guy boats on the Delta.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-14-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Dane, not sure if I'm getting the message?
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
Jeff: sarcasm.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-14-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Jonathan,

Come clean.

MrsFlyinV, and her gang have a way of getting anyone to come back and lurk on a regular basis.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
Oh yeah LOL

Check out HHD's photo log from Havasu. It makes the Reef Girl thread look tame!!!!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-14-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Jonathan - After clicking on that link I had an incredible urge to drink a 18 pack of Coors Light, quit wakeboarding, and grow a mullet.
Old    byerly137pro            10-14-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
Whats HHD?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
Actually I think his screen name is HDD Hot Digity Dog. He took a ton of pictures at Havasu over Labor Day and other holidays. Specializing in Pasties and G-Strings! Thread is titled HDD Havasu Pictures or something like that.

I would post a link to the thread, but Dave might object.