Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       03-03-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Here's a link to a video made by a guy who rides at one of the lakes I frequent during the summer:

www.dirtytshirt.net

It frustrates me to no end seeing these guys out with no vests on for 3 reasons:
1: The obvious, setting a bad example for kids as it is a busy lake (in a national park.
2: The guy who made the video, Steve, "runs" a "school" there; that is, he markets himself and gets paid for lessons. I really don't like the way he represents the sport to the masses there.
3: I'm worried about the repercussions for everyone who uses the water there if they do have a serious accident.
I also do some coaching there but it is basically for one of my dad's clients and his family and whoever he decides to bring out. I feel bad taking his money because I get to ride all I want anyways, pretty good setup for me I must say. But I really don't want to get lumped in with these guys. They're terrible drivers, will ride with no spotter, get high before and while riding, it makes me mad. BUT what can I do? Or am I just being a wakeboard snob?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-03-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-03-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
I'm more concerned about the guy smoking.

Videos like this, the Tiger situation and everytime a Pro athlete gets a DWI, carrys a gun to a club, kills a hooker, etc is a great opportunity to explain to your kids that though a pro/semi-pro athleate may be phenominal in their specific activity it does not mean you should emulate the rest of their life too.

There are plenty of pro-rider's method grabs that I try to pull-off just about everytime I hit the water, but off the water those guys simply don't have their acts together. Off the water I look to others for inspiration: Investment=Charles Schwab, Career=My first boss and Home=My dad. All of those guys have faults too. (I would bet the Schwab's method grab is probably lame.)

This is a great opportunity for you to explain to the youth that you coach, "Yes that dude shreds, but he may not be shreding much longer unless he puts on a vest."

In defense of the athlete's, you can't expect anyone to be great in every category. Everyone has their faults and make silly decisions. I always wear a vest, but could be better at buckling up when I drive around the block.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-03-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
The fact that they could get paid for "teaching" wakeboarding is scary to me. Could care less about the rest, they're not up in my business
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Deep Bay (where most of the film was shot) is where I learned to board. I've rode with Garth, Garrett, and Kendall for a long time now. I met Steve Langston two summers ago up at Clear Lake. I felt the same way as you.... what is this guy doing giving lessons and out there without a vest. Never told that to his face, so Steve if you're checkin out wakeworld I guess this will give us some discussion material this summer. He's definitely a decent guy to chat with but I don't support his stand to ride without a vest. On the other hand he's doing a great job of promoting the sport which I do appreciate. Mbsteez, I don't know if you've ever met Steve but definitely don't hesitate to talk to the guy he'll take the time to talk you.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-03-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
Well played Skiboarder - Agree with everything

There's a lot wrong with what they're doing, and not a lot you can do about it. I agree I wouldn't want to be lumped in with the image they're portraying either. I think it's a great teaching tool too. Yes, they shred. But it's way more than the trick list you can throw down.

I know some guys who absolutely throw down, but don't get many pulls, because of their attitude, on and off the water. It's rough for them, but I get more pulls wit a small bag, a good attitude, and a willingness to help with everything, including gas $ (which I consider BEFOREHAND - not when asked about it and I only have a 5 spot) than just being a good rider.

I guess my advice would be to keep riding, but put it out there, that you're not associated with them. You ride, that's the only connection anyone could have between you. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing and if somebody asks why you don't ride with them, let them know.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-03-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
I can't bwleave I watched the video!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
do people not pull their shorts down in Canada?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
most of us do
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-03-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Dude you owe me 8 minutes and 30 seconds of my life back. Retarded.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       03-03-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
Deep Bay (where most of the film was shot) is where I learned to board. I've rode with Garth, Garrett, and Kendall for a long time now. I met Steve Langston two summers ago up at Clear Lake. I felt the same way as you.... what is this guy doing giving lessons and out there without a vest. Never told that to his face, so Steve if you're checkin out wakeworld I guess this will give us some discussion material this summer. He's definitely a decent guy to chat with but I don't support his stand to ride without a vest. On the other hand he's doing a great job of promoting the sport which I do appreciate. Mbsteez, I don't know if you've ever met Steve but definitely don't hesitate to talk to the guy he'll take the time to talk you.
Yeah, I went to high school with Steve, have partied with him, he's ridden at my lake and I with him on Clear quite a bit. I tend not to call him about riding anymore for all of the above mentioned reasons. I'm with you, great guy to chat with, disagree with lots of stuff he does on the water. But I suppose thats the way it is with lots of people in all aspects of life. Some of the other guys in that vid I have other opinions about but I digress.

Beretta, where do you ride now? When I'm at Clear I'm usually on a yellow VLX.
Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-03-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
yea i agree, not wearing a vest while around the water especially while wakeboarding is the stupidest thing ever
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-03-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
I hope they don't give lessons to children... Also, we need synonyms for "Bag of Tricks."

I never want to see a random chin up exhibition on a wakeboard video again. That shouldn't ever happen.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-03-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
I think it's awesome that you helped promote them!

No press is bad press.

I've never heard of these guys and I'm sure a lot of other people have not too. Now they know who they are cause you posted this.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
Their bag of tricks seems to consist of a lot of tantrums and backrolls.... you said the CHARGE for lessons?.... better be cheap
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
Don't sweat it, all you can do is rep your own style and do what you do. Let other peeps reap what they sow, good or bad.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-03-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeparent View Post
I can't bwleave I watched the video!!
ME EITHER! That was horrible.
Old     (dmorrison22)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-03-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Whoa, thick Canadian accents!

Speaking of Canadians, Chad Sharpe is Canadian and has spread the word about always wearing a vest, words we should all live by.
Old     (rclester89)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-03-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
I was waiting for the narrator to explain how his "crew" went from just mediocre to great riders...but that definitely didn't happen. As far as the jackets and coaching...well the life jacket argument is just getting old and these guys definitely aren't good enough to coach.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsteez View Post
Yeah, I went to high school with Steve, have partied with him, he's ridden at my lake and I with him on Clear quite a bit. I tend not to call him about riding anymore for all of the above mentioned reasons. I'm with you, great guy to chat with, disagree with lots of stuff he does on the water. But I suppose thats the way it is with lots of people in all aspects of life. Some of the other guys in that vid I have other opinions about but I digress.

Beretta, where do you ride now? When I'm at Clear I'm usually on a yellow VLX.
I moved to Saskatchewan so I ride a lot less up at Clear Lake. I usually make it up there two or three weekends per year still though. I have rode out of Deep Bay ever since I learned to ski when I was four.

My parents have a Teal/White Larson 17 ft, uncles run a red x7 and a mid 2000s prostar out of deep bay all summer long. I'll let you know if I do make it out there this summer. I'll be looking out for your VLX!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-03-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Dwight,

Thanks for the e-mail letting me know I have a profile picture of my son without a vest on. My post (saying I can't beleave I watched the whole video) had nothing to do with someone not wearing a vest or even somking! It was that video was terrible and riding was not any better, again thanks for the e-mail!

Gordie
Attached Images

Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-04-2010, 4:10 AM Reply   
I didn't make it thru the first few minutes. I don't know those guys but from the video they look like a bunch of tools. I would love to see someone try and light up on my boat. They would be missing teeth and swimming back for sure.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-04-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Dwight,

Thanks for the e-mail letting me know I have a profile picture of my son without a vest on. My post (saying I can't beleave I watched the whole video) had nothing to do with someone not wearing a vest or even somking! It was that video was terrible and riding was not any better, again thanks for the e-mail!

Gordie
My bad for assuming you had an issue with the vests.....which was the whole point of the thread. Then when I put that together with your sign in name I assumed you had an issue with the vests. But seriously wakeparent.... in my opinion and obviously most of the other people on wakeworld...you have a lot of reasons to be proud of with your son, but the general consensus is not wearing a vest shouldn't be one of them.

As for Steve and his coaching, 90 percent of it is to kids that just getting started in the sport. Heck my best trick is a HS BS 360 and I spend countless hours on the water getting kids on a board for the first time. Does my ability determine whether I should be able to coach or not? Or call it a school because I get paid to cover my costs? What he gets paid for would barely cover the costs of the boat to go out there.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-04-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
There's a difference between charging for lessons and getting compensated for your generosity
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-04-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
Dwight,

Also those pictures are at a spot they were winching, in about 1 foot of water. So I don't think a vest will do any good! maybe a helmet?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-04-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Dwight,

Also those pictures are at a spot they were winching, in about 1 foot of water. So I don't think a vest will do any good! maybe a helmet?
A vest does takes quite a bit of impact off your torso. If your son is coming off that first rail into 1 foot of water.... yikes! I would hate to go all squirelly at the top and get launched from that high into the water. But I do see your point. I don't always put on my seat belt when driving around the block.

I always ride with a helmet:

http://www.boardstop.com/product_inf...roducts_id=550

I really like mine, and the removable ear flaps have saved my ear drums after catching an
edge coming down from a spin. It might be something to look into. My in laws bought me that for Christmas one year. Looks like they want me to stick around for a while
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Vest yes,

Helmet, only on rails... wake riding with one is well..... I'm not getting into this again.

but I agreed a vest always has its place.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
someone needs to teach these guys what it means to ride with style cool they got a tantrum or a 3 but it looks like ****e when they are doing it, horrible video i wasted 8 minutes of my life
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-04-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
A lot of people "grind my gears" but i count to 10 sometimes 11 and move on. .

I felt like i was watching an intro to another MTV reality show....
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
*believe
Old     (rclester89)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-04-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick View Post
A lot of people "grind my gears" but i count to 10 sometimes 11 and move on. .

I felt like i was watching an intro to another MTV reality show....
haha MTV's the Burried Life, thats exactly what I was think Brad
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-05-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
People do what they want. If they dont get caught oh well. Just know th rules and keep you self aand crew safe and dont worry about what other people do. Now if it effects you personally thats another story.