Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-15-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
Just looking for an opinion what may be wrong with my sons knee. I know we need to go see an ortho, but he hates docs and will only go if necessary. Also, if pain/swelling continue, I will make him go next week. Labor day weekend he came down hard and bent it all the way to heals on a bs 360 and "tweaked" his left knee. Since then he has still been riding, but it hurts on most landings. Also it hurts when he runs and bends it too quickly. The pain and swelling is in the lower left side by the kneecap area. Kinda like 4 o'clock looking straight at it. I was thinking maybe some meniscus damage or just a strain in the area. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-15-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
See a doctor. ASAP Last thing you want your son to do is mess up his knee and need surgery. Sitting out a week to get doctor results is not near as bad as finding out you need surgery.
Old     (Fubar86)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-15-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
I had the same thing happen to me on sunday over labor day weekend. Swelling/difficulty bending. The difference was I could not really walk on the knee, and still have swelling/cant fully bend my knee. Ended up being a severe sprain, which is what your sons injury sounds like, but you're better off getting him in to get checked out. He may be causing more injury riding with it
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-16-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Yea see a DOC soon and stop riding to let it heal. He might miss a few weeks on the water now, or he might not be the same ever again if he does not get it fixed. There is a long life ahead of him to ride and you have to take care of the equipment. This is coming from a 50 year old guy that loves to wakeboard.
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-16-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
From what you said and what causes pain, it sounds like a strain to his patellar tendon. Not a huge deal but will take a while to heal. As long as he feels stable when walking and running I would say give it time. If something is torn now, It will be torn later also.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-16-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
any infusion in the joint area in and around the knee cap usually means a sprain or possible tear. most ortho's assume a meniscus tear. if the knee is giving out at certain times then most likely an ACL tear
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       09-16-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
I tore my MCL the beginning of this summer. Not a lot of swelling, mostly pain and lack of movement. All the pain for the most part was on the inside of my knee and it was pivot movement that caused the most pain. If it is a MCL those don't require surgery, just ice and brace and rest. Most of the time it takes a few weeks. I was back out 3 weeks after taking it really easy. It has now been 3 months and I still get soreness but no major pain or lack of movement. Also tore my rotator cuff a couple weeks ago and had a bone contusion....This summer has not been that nice to me. This past monday my friend seperated a rib on a nasty fall. He will be out a couple months
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-16-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
put a bag over his head, tell him he's going to disneyland and go to the doc