Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-01-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quick question about towing because I have been told many different things.

I have an '06 Nissan Xterra with a Class III hitch that is rated for 3,500#. The vehicle is rated to 5,000#, but the hitch guy said i would need a weight distribution kit for that and it would be an extra $500 so I didn't get it.

I am looking at a boat that weights 3,450# plus a dual-axle trailer. Can I safely pull this boat in and out of the water, and maybe as far as 30 miles with my current hitch?
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-01-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
The answer to your specific question is no.

Had you asked "Will the truck pull the boat out of the water, and tow it 30 miles?" then the answer would be yes, no problem...but you had to throw the killer term in there ;) (Safely).

It's not really a problem with weight distribution, although that would definitely help...the Xterras are too short to stop the load safely.

With that in mind, I've loaded my MB with my jeep wrangler (I6 motor) before and it did fine, cause it's a torque monster. But i wouldn't take it more than 30 feet with that thing, or go over about 5 mph.

(Message edited by tonality on June 01, 2007)
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-01-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Thanks. So basically I could get the boat in and out of the water (my cabin is about 500 yards from the launch), but not to any surrounding lakes or safely to and from the marina (10 miles). Hmmmm... that wouldn't be much good.
Old     (glasshouse)      Join Date: May 2007       06-01-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
With a dual axle trailer it is carrying most of the weight, the Xterra weighs quite a bit more than your boat and trailer so stopping wont be a problem at all in normal conditions. I would just be careful when making quick stops or when its raining and the roads get slick. A weight distribution hitch would help with stopping turning, and rear spring sag, but you dont really need it since youre not really traveling far.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-01-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Why not ask your dealer or a nissan delaership? As long as the 10 mile drive is realtively flat, just be careful and your truck should pull it fine. you'll be able to tell/feel if the truck is going to work or not after towing it one time.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-01-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
The boat with gas and your things will probably weigh 4000lbs easy. Trailer is another 1200 or so. You'd probably be over max payload. If you got into an accident and they checked it out your insurance may not cover any damages. It would probably have a hard time stopping and the boat would push the truck around.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-01-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
I had a nissan xterra with a 5000 lbs hitch on it and i towed a boat weight and trailer of 3900 lbs. Your xterra will tow it but you will slow down alot when driving up hill. also it is very bad on gas when towing. I did not use a distribution kit and it was fine. Your tongue weight is not heavy enough. you do not need it. But what you do need is a 5000 lbs hitch.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-01-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
The hitch says it is rated for 5,000#, but only with a weight distribution kit. I couldn't find a 5,000# hitch that didn't require one.

I think if I like the boat I will ask to hook it up to my Xterra and drive it around to see how it feels as a "test tow".
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-01-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Go to a hitch shop and ask someone, they are every where, I also have one on my truck and my wife has on her 2007 nissan pathfinder, straight from the factory. Right now I have a 2007 calabria pro v 2, it is, with trailer 4200lbs and the trailer has hydraulic brakes. the tongue is only 300 lbs and no distribution kit is needed.

(Message edited by rbeckei on June 01, 2007)
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
I'm gonna look an outlaw here but I've pulled my X-30 30+ miles with a little ford ranger while drinking a margarita. Just take easy and you will be fine.