Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    andrew_jellum            08-21-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
yesterday at that awa event i got to see danny dean wakeboard which was amazeing since just a year and a half ago he broke his neck every one that was at the event knows what im talking about when i say that was one thing that could top seeing some insane trick by a pro inperson way to go danny
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-21-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
Man, would it kill people to throw in a period or a comma or some sort of punctuation every now and then? You're a student, no less, you should be adding this stuff naturally as you're undoubtedly told to every day at school. It was a cool post about an inspirational story to you and I can certainly appreciate that, but i had to reread the damn thing three times to understand it. It might as well been in all caps. I'm really not trying to be a d!ck, and I'm sorry to hijack your post, I've just been seeing this a lot lately. Anyway, glad you were inspired and hopefully you got some good water this weekend. Cheers.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-21-2005, 4:50 PM Reply   
Andrew- That's cool man im glad to hear he's riding again. I go to school here in oregon with his sister Alex Dean, and true, very inspirational.

Scott- This isn't school hence there's really no need to use proper punctuation all the time. As you can see i did use proper punctuation. But you know it still isn't too tough to understand what he wrote, so just let it go, or start a new thread.

~Tyler~
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-21-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
Ty, yup, I see that you're using proper punctuation and I certainly appreciate it. It made it extremely easy to read and comprehend. I don't mind the occasional slippage or even lack of capatalization (as in your use of "i") but when I can't understand what someone's trying to post and have to read it a few times it annoys me. Just venting, again, not trying to be a jerk to Andrew, I'm glad he was inspired... now I hope he'll be inspired to put in a period every once in a while, that's all, my last post on this thread.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
First of all, I want to thank Scott for totally ruining what should be a great thread. If you can't say something nice try not saying anything at all.

Andrew was trying to convey a truly amazing event. Many wakeworlder's will remember Danny's story. Danny Dean should be an inspiration to us all. He didn't let something like a broken neck and a grim prognosis keep him down. Those of us who are privledged enough to have Danny as a friend know that he is a remarkable person. Thanks to some wonderful doctors and nurses combined with faith and shear determination, he was able to do something that nobody thought that he would ever do again. WALK! The fact that he strapped on his board and got in the water and rode the entire length of the lake is icing on the cake. Once I finish downloading all the pictures from yesterday/s event. I will treat you all to Danny Dean's first day on riding a wakeboard.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did watching it in person.

Danny - Thanks for reminding me what is important in life.

Danny Dean
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-21-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
Chris- Thanks for posting that. Thats awesome to see.
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-21-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
Completely agree! It's people like Danny who keep it fun, and make all of us realize that it is something we LOVE to do, reguradless of how good you are or not. Thanks for posting that, and reminding us what life is all about. Periods or not!
*Danielle
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-21-2005, 10:28 PM Reply   
That just made my day...Awesome!!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-22-2005, 4:45 AM Reply   
I had been wondering how his progress was going. Obviously GREAT! Who can forget the video when he pushed his walker away!!

Scott, you didn't ruin the thread. I agree with you.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-22-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
CRAZY. Danny you have no idea who I am, but I sure feel like I know you or at least I know your story. I love it when people beat the odds and make the best of life even in the most dire situations. Now it's time to do something about those white legs.

Now that the goal of riding again has been reached, whats next?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-22-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
That's funny Cece, maybe you should adhere to your own advice. Just a thought. I know we've had our difference in opinions in the past but I wanted to congratulate you on a great series of events this season. I know it's not easy making sure these things run as seamlessly as you did. I plugged the AWA in this month’s issue of WBM and I hope you enjoy the piece on Arizona.

Regards,
Steven
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-22-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
that is awesome to hear!!! congrats danny. anyone know how his progress is doing? is he walking these days? obviously he has progressed a ton since the accident. i also watched the video that jeremy is talking about. how has he come along since then?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-22-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
cmon....anyone? i have looked at this thred 5 times since i posted earlier today. anyone know anything?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-22-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
well hes wakeboarding, and i gaurantee you most people who cant walk cant wakeboard. If you look back to all the old videos of him getting out of the hospital he was walking back then also, so yeah he is walking, and from the sounds of this he seems to be progressing extremely well, but from what his siter told me, he'll never be back to what he was on the water, but hell, I'm sure he's as happy as any of us, being on the water with his friends and family.
~Tyler~
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
Sorry I just checked the thread again. Danny is doing very well. He did tell me that wakeboarding was easier than walking and wants to start spending more time on the water. He is obviously walking and without any assistance (walker, cane, etc). He is officially a lefty now as his right hand isn't back to 100%. However, when you compare where he was 18 months ago to now, it is nothing short of miraculous.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-23-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
Wow thats an awesome recovery. Props to Danny!
Old    road_hawg            09-05-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
Danny Dean's Dan here. It's been a while since I posted anything but it looks like since word is out that Danny rode his board again a couple weeks ago several people are curious about his progress:

Danny is doing very well. He drives, has a good job for a great company, runs his tee-shirt/graphics/animation business and has been married for a year to Natalie who is a truly wonderful young lady. He has a long way to go. He’s officially scored as 50% disabled. He has 6% use of his right hand, 70% use of his left hand/arm and he still cannot raise his right foot. He has muscle spasms, temperature regulation issues and digestion problems but he is strong and he has a great attitude.

Wakeboarding and his fiends in the sport have been a great stimulus for him to heal as well as an inspiration to Danny to get into the best shape he can be. He has worked hard for that first ride since his accident.

He and we wish to thank you all you riders near and far for your support and prayers on Danny’s behalf. You have all been so very instrumental in his recovery.

Doug Dean

Old    wakegal02            09-05-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
That's a great story. Just curious, if you don't mind me asking how did he break his neck? Was it related to wakeboarding? If so wow, that really brings light on how dangerous the sport really is.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
That's awesome to hear Doug! I love my Enemy of Evil shirt and wear it almost everytime I go to the lake!

WB Gal, He was doing flips into a foam gymnastics pit. In a sense you could say it was wakeboarding related but it wasn't on the water. However, the ability to hurt yourself in this sport is definitely there. Most anyone who's done it long enough has a whole list of injuries from minor to major. But HECK YES it's worth it!
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-05-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
Wow! My Dad just emailed me about this thread and I just wanted to let you all know that it was an amazing feeling to up again on the water. As Cece said, walking is more cumbersome than gliding across the water... dont, oh sorry "don't" expect any jumps or flips any time soon though, haha. I do however, wear a brace on my right leg to help me from tripping over my toes due to week ankle and hip muscles.

In fact I just got back from the lake about 10 minutes ago. I got up four times today and crossed the wake a couple times. I'll be feeling the effects of it all for at least a week but we all know it's worth it. I have a video of my riding at the AWA event and it will be posted soon.

Like my dad said, wakeboarding has been very instrumental in my recovery. What's next you ask... time will only tell. My goals are more focused now on strengthening what muscles I have that are functioning and I know wakeboarding is going to promote that.

(Message edited by board4food1 on September 05, 2005)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-05-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
Andrew,

Thanks for bringing this back to the surface. I was wondering how Danny was doing.

Danny,

Congratulations on getting back on the board! It is truly amazing the recovery and progress you have made. You have no idea how inspirational your success is to many persons out there. Keep up the great progress. It is all uphill from here. I am also sure wakeboarding will be very instrumental in your recovery.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-05-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
Danny- good toh ear from you again on here, glad all is going well. I hope all continues to go as good as it has been. By the way im liking the profile pic.
~Tyler~
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-05-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
Danny- good toh ear from you again on here, glad all is going well. I hope all continues to go as good as it has been. By the way im liking the profile pic.
~Tyler~