Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
Hi all,

Looking for all my fellow WW'ers to please take a look at our facebook page in support of a Cable Wakepark in Abbotsford, BC, Canada.

http://www.facebook.com/AbbotsfordCablePark

It's a public, city owned park that has been leased out to a waterski club for a very minimal amount. It's a private club - you have to pay to be a member and pay for your sets. There are public ski nights but it's minimal - 60 hours +/- for the whole year available. Only one boat (unweighted response) is on the lake so they don't cater to wakeboarding at all.

We are trying to offer a cable park which is open to everyone, able to accommodate many more people, and promote the sport in BC. This has been in the works for many months and will get a final council vote in (likely) February 2012.

Please join our page and help us show council this is the future of our sport. I believe council will vote on our side but we have the waterski club lobbying against us, so we need all the help we can get.

Thanks in advance!
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
I hope your proposal gets denied. I have absolutely nothing against wakeboarding and I appreciate how the sport has helped boat manufacturers stay afloat. However your sport has already ruined public water for slalom skiers. Now you want to take away their lake for your cable park. Instead of displacing a waterski club because you think your cable park is better, go find yourself your own site.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-19-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
Thanks for your opinion. If you have nothing against wakeboarding, why did you post on ballofspray.com that 'wakeboarders suck!' ? (second post down)

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/di...l-of-your-help

This is a public park; owned by the city, not the waterskiers. Just like any property, the owners choose whom they wish to lease it to.

I'm not saying a cable park is 'better' as that's a matter of opinion, but the facts are a cable system can service hundreds of people a day rather than one at a time behind a boat. The public recreation aspect is far superior with the efficiency of a cable system.

Thanks to those that have joined our group, please keep it up.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
It was a sacrastic remark. I just don't agree that displacing a well established waterski club and a sport that was the segway to wakeboarding, is the right thing to do. I appreciate the fact that your park can service hundreds, but how is this better? You want to make money is my opinion. I'll stand by my comment, find your own site, don't take away theirs. Your sport doesn't need the growth that waterkskiing does.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-19-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
How is this better? Hundred's can use the lake as opposed to a dozen or two, every day.

Have you seen a cable park in operation? You simply show up, spend your $25 or so, and ride for two hours. No scheduling appointments, no calling at least two friends to drive and spot, no waiting who knows how long just to get your 15-20 minute set in. It's the easiest and most inexpensive way to get into towed watersports.

Yes, this is a business - the cable isn't going to get installed for free. But it's also a passion of mine and I would love to see the sport grow in my area. And don't forget, that's BOTH of our sports that grow. Getting people into watersports is the first step - they can decide which equipment they want to strap on their feet for themselves. Many start on skis and end up on a board, and vise versa. The more people involved in watersports as a whole will continue to grow and drive the industry - we are all in this together. I appreciate your opinion and you are entitled to it but please try to look at the big picture.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-19-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
+1 for the cable, just cause slalom skiers suck!..... oh wait! ..... I was just being sarcastic.... gotta be careful what you post.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2011, 11:31 AM Reply   
Why not share the lake. A slalom course can be submergible. Either way, not my battle, don't live anywhere near there or ever plan too. Good luck to you.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-19-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
We did discuss that option with the ski club but it was decided by both parties that it wouldn't work logistically. The lake is not that large and would require a complete change over to swap from cable use back to boat use. I agree, if the lake was larger than dual use would be ideal.

The plan is to still keep the site available for boat-towed tournaments (waterski or wakeboard) but the recreational use will be on the cable. Nothing will be permanently installed to make the lake unusable for boat use.

Thanks for your comments
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-22-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
A lil Bro? Seriously bro? It's a piece of sh*t from what I hear, but I've never ridden one. Don't intend to either. Go with ERC, System 2, Backyard System. They're all the same, but not lil Bro
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-23-2011, 1:48 AM Reply   
It's just a proposed layout Cisco. It doesn't mean that we will have little BRO or even Rixen for that matter. I've heard some negatives about Little BRO also.

Thanks for checking out the page at least. I hope you joined it... spread the word!
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-23-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Sorry if I sounded like a jerk Stuey. I get so darn cocky when I'm hiding behind a keyboard. I'm really impressed with the images you made. Very professional. Don't worry about the bitter old skiers on FB. They are just coping with the fact that their sport is dying and wakeboarding is dominating.

Your idea definitely has more to offer than the current slalom course. I think you might be better off digging a perfect sized lake with an island, but that will require lots more money, building permits, tree huggers whining about the habitat, etc. In the end though, you will have a better wake park and the dinoskiers can rest in piece. Either way I hope your dream comes true.
Old    sickwake            12-24-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
In the end of the day majority rules. i am both a skier and rider. i also dirt bike, bmx, longboard, snowboard, surf, parkour, weightlift, rock climb and play paintball.

If someone said to me that one of the sports/ activities i did sucked. I would say you are a closed minded judgement person and id feel sorry for you if i could. The point is the bashing needs to stop everyone thinks their powerful behind the keyboard which is ironic.

Understand that both skiers and riders alike can use the cable. Both sports are amazing to have. The feeling of moving through water is spectacular. putting a cable system in would cater towards more people. Its not about riders vs skiers its the fact that the ski club has been really exclusive and is no way promoting water-skiing to the rest of bc. If the ski lake had a better system for the public to have easy access and enjoy I would say there would be no need to change it. Unfortunately this is not the case. In fact having a cable park would promote skiing a lot more because anyone can now try it. they dont need a boat.

I think its also ridiculous that there is even such a thing as skiers vs riders. its like skateboarders vs bmx'ers its such a narrow minded way to think. So enough of the immature bashing and negativeness. They are both wonderful sports so lets give back to them like they gave to us. Remember your mind is like a parachute it only works when its open.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-24-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwake View Post

If someone said to me that one of the sports/ activities i did sucked. I would say you are a closed minded judgement person and id feel sorry for you if i could. The point is the bashing needs to stop everyone thinks their powerful behind the keyboard which is ironic.
Parkour sucks 😄
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-24-2011, 11:11 PM Reply   
Cisco - no worries.. opinions count and I listen to every one when it comes to this project. I'm not worried about anybody on FB, I just like to ensure that everyone has all the facts. A new custom lake is ideal for any site, but simply not practical with the ridiculous price that land is out here - not to mention most land is already slated for agricultural use. This lake is available to lease so hence the proposal set forth.

Jessie your post summed it up very well - the sport vs sport thing needs to stop. The ski/snowboard battle went on in a much larger scale but it was very similar - the old school skiers didn't like change and didn't want it on 'their' mountains. Now everyone gets along fine, you see skiers ripping in the terrain park, and nobody cares what you have strapped to your feet. It almost seemed to have unified the sport because everybody realizes it's essentially the same thing.

I have to admit.. I had to google Parkour to know what it is but that's pretty damn cool.. I had seen it before but didn't know the terminology for it.