Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-13-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
So I want to take advantage of EVO Gears 100 off sale right now and get a new wakesurf board. Here are the three I am looking at....

Grindwater Mauka

Grindwater Shaka

LF Venture

I am 6' 4" and 220-230. We have a Yamaha AR230 that we use to surf.....I know I know, it isn't anything compared to most V-Drives but weighted correctly it actually puts out a decent wave. So which do you all recommend? It will be used mainly by me (have a couple hyperlites, inland and old style co ex, for newbs and guests) and I am looking for something that will do well with the smaller wave and give me more carving and speed than the hyperlites I have.

Thanks for the help..........
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-13-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
Lets see pics of the surf wave!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-13-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
Well, the Venture isn't going to get you the $100 off discount, because it's already less than $350. It's also a beginner board. So, throw that one out.

The Mauka is a big guy board that's very easy to ride and learn on. It carves nicely for a large board (probably due to the toed in fins) but it's a bit slow and requires a more weight up front to keep it in the pocket. This board will have a larger pocket and more speed than your Hyperlites, but it's a big easy riding board.

The Shaka is a step up from the Mauka with better speed and carving capabilities. It's also fairly decent on smaller wakes.

With that said, if you can afford it, I highly recommend the Ginsu. It rips. I actually like the performance better than an IS Sweet Spot. Pearling isn't in the Ginsu's vocabulary. And, it's pretty decent on smaller wakes, as long as you have some wakesurfing experience.

One word of caution with these 2010 Grindwater boards, however. If you're all about looks and finishes, look elsewhere. Your board will have surface imperfections, but it won't have any effect on the performance.

Oh, I've ridden all of these boards, so first hand experience here.

My $.02
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-13-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
+2 on the Ginsu. By far the favorite board on my boat for riders in the 180 to 250 # range. Its very fast and agile but you need to take care of it. Its a little fragile. We have had ours a year and taken good care of it and we don't have any dings.
Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-13-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
Duffy, here is a thread with videos of the same boat and same setup as mine.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782358

I went with the Shaka...seemed to be a compromise between the mauka and the ginsu.
Old     (arrydjay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-13-2011, 9:53 PM Reply   
I just bought a shaka last week...its my first board and Im waiting on my fat sacs to arrive so I can give it a proper go....