Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-01-2010, 5:18 AM Reply   
Hi,

I have been riding a 2005 136 Premier for the last 4 years, and have really enjoyed it. I rode a friends 138 Substance this weekend, and I found the pop was a bit more aggressive (which made it more difficult to control). It also seemed faster - when edging to the wake, I arrived at the wake faster.

Is the Premier known as a more slow board? I like the way I have time to prepare for the jump - the substance makes me feel rushed :-)

The description of the Premier rocker is "subtle 3-stage" while the substance is "aggressive 3-stage" - is this the difference I am noticing with the pop? Substance being more aggressive? Does the Premier have a more predictable pop?

Our boat is a SN2001 which has a relatively steep wake, so maybe a more subtle 3-stage is better? Or is this not true?

I'd like to replace my board soon, and I'd like to have softer landings and maybe a lighter board - what can you recommend?

Can anyone confirm wheat I noticed about the Premier vs Substance?

What about the PS3, Witness or Mana? Or the new Premier?

Any help would be awesome as our shops don't allow demos :-(

Thanks,
Greg
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-01-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
I rode the Premier for about the same amount of time and switched to the Witness. I can't say I've ridden a board I like more. I found the PS3 to be more agressive (unpredictable) than the Substance and I thought it landed pretty hard (I always liked the Substance too). I haven't ridden the Watson, so I can't comment there, have heard it lands soft and pops well. The Witness to me has predictable pop with soft landings, basically a faster Premier that lands super soft and has just a tad more pop, but just as smooth.
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-01-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
I ride a Premier right now and its the best board I have ever ridden, but for a comparison I have only ridden the Substance once. The Premier is slow, so you have plenty of time in the cut in. It's pop is insane. Predictable and big, but the landings are hard if you don't land it right. That's my two cents on the Premier. Wish I could tell you more on the Substance but, haven't ridden it enough.
Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-02-2010, 12:53 AM Reply   
Cool, thanks for the info :-)

Spotts, I'm going to see if the Witness is available locally, and I might be able to borrow a Watson for a day (for a friend of a friend).

Jared - what year is your Premier? I could always just get a new model (which is supposed to be much lighter, but the landings are probably the same).

I'll post my findings - it might only be in a months time though.
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-02-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
My Premier is a 2008
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-02-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
Greg, if you like the premier try the Byerly Monarch. See if you can find a 08 or 09 closeout since they're pretty pricey. The 2010 has a diff core to make it more affordable. I wen't from the Premier (which I liked) to the Monarch. Bigger, smoother and more predictable pop. It's a little faster but not super fast and it's nice and loose but pretty locked in on edge. Oh, and big plus, it doesn't catch an edge nearly as bad. Awesome board that you'll get used to real quick coming from your board.
Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-02-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestion :-) I'll check it out. The Monarch does sound interesting!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-04-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
I shredded the old premier for 2 years and it is a TANK...brutally slow and landings are bricks. Pop is pretty good and predictable though IMO. I kept my 2006 as a jib stick and she is a BEAST! Chunks missing everywhere but never once a crack or break. I boosted a tail glide off big white and my ACL snapped... while the board laughed it off :-) HAHA I literally just retired it last week cuz it was finally beat down to the point I didn't wanna ride it.

I went to the Ronix One from the premier but it doesn't sound like what you're looking for cuz its super fast and pop is retarded but a bit unpredictable. Its characteristics are similar to the premier just like its on steroids. I loved the board but sounds too aggressive for your liking.

I would suggest the LF Watson or S3/S4. Everyone loves the Watson and its a super consistent board all around. I enjoy my PS4 because its quick and very predictable, plus the landings are pretty soft because of the deep V on the base.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-04-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Keep an eye on BoardersBestBuy for a Witness as I saw them a couple weeks ago for something obscene like $119. I almost bought one even though I have a perfectly fine one right now because the board is so great.
That said, I've heard the Watson is poppier assuming thats a word.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
I would HIGHLY recommend the witness! I rode a 2008 premier 136 for the first half of summer and then picked up a 2009 witness 140 for the other half. The witness is exactly what you are looking for. I thought my premier was good but after riding the witness I realized the premier was really slow with a more unpredictable pop. The witness is a lot faster, way easier to ride and I am getting way more height with the witness. I had two friends ride mine and they ran out an grabbed one right after. Also my 140 witness seems way lighter than my 136 premier and after pairing it with a set of 2009 ronix ones it's like a feather! Let us know what you get!!