Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (showtz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-03-2008, 9:31 PM Reply   
Got the Sirius going last night but didnt mount the antenna yet. I was going to put it on top of the tower but it seems to be working just about anywhere I put it?

Can I put it on the dash behind the windshield? Any other recommendations on mounting location?
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
Dash behind the windshield seems to work out ok for some, but didn't work very well for me.

Tower is a good spot if you want to run the wire and don't fold. Another spot is on the nose of the boat just aft of your nav light.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-04-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Man the sirius ant. must be a beast compared to my xm, I've put that thing everywhere i know to try and still not great, of course it doesn't work much better in my truck though!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-04-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Top of tower. I fold mine every time, never have problems.
Old     (unclej)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-04-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
I've got mine sitting on the dash right next to my head unit so I can run the wire in through the HU opening. Mine has always worked great even w/ my bimini up.
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
mine is also on the dash behind the windshield and works fine
Old     (showtz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
The sirius antenna I am using came with the VDOC kit. Its very small. Ill try it on the dash first since I dont have to drill any holes. Thanks!
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-04-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have my XM antenna running to the nose of the boat mounted right next to the bow light.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-04-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
What kind of boat? This would help a little. I have mine right under the windshield where the intake vent is for the motor.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
I ran mine down the left side and pulled it out beside the v drive left side locker. see below:

Used velcro on hull and antenna to make easily removeableUpload
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-05-2008, 12:20 AM Reply   
Me and my buddies velcro that shiz on the top of the tower and just rap the antenna wire up the tower mount. works fine stays outta the way and wont interfear with the bimini
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
I have a cup holder for the bow on each side just in front of the window, towards the outside. I have the antenna mounted between the cup holder and the window, with the wire run between the cup holder and the hole it sits in. Clean install, super simple to run the wire (no holes, snaking wires, etc) and close to where the reciever box is mounted.

It is also a spot where people aren't going to block it, as pretty much nobody ever sits there as it would obstruct the driver's view quite a bit if they were blocking the antenna.
Old     (showtz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Its a 96 Tige PRE2200V The bow lights are integrated into the sides so I dont want to put anything on the front.
Old    livin_n_sv211            06-06-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
I mounted a surface-mount sirius antenna on top of my tower, a flight control tower for an SV211.

In these pictures, the tower is folded down, which is how I had the tower when I mounted the antenna.

The surface-mount antenna has a bayonet connector for the antenna wire, so that there is about an eight inch tail coming out of the antenna, the rest of the length (~15 feet) extending to the connector to the receiver. I decided to pull the antenna wire down the tower tubes, from the top, so that the (smaller) receiver connector would travel through the tower tube, rather than the larger bayonet connector.

I pulled out both the left and right speaker wires, tying a single line of braided cord to one, and a loop of braided nylon cord to the other so I would have three lines to pull not only both speaker wires back up the tower tube but also the antenna wire on the extra cord (and again, down the tower tube).

I used a lot of thread lock on both the bayonet connector and two piece threaded stem of the antenna. The stem is two sections of threaded stainless tube, one is fixed into the antenna, and the other is an outer sleeve with internal thread for threading onto fixed stem (in order to adjust length) and external thread for accepting the nut. Both sections have a longitudinal slot which, when lined up between both sections, allows you to pull the wire out between the antenna and nut. That way, the wire can be extended into the core of a hollow tube, with the antenna capping the top of the through-hole and the nut the bottom. I re-used all the original (neoprene?) grommets. I carefully) sliced off the shrink tube around the speaker wires at the tower's pivot bracket and replaced it with three sections of fresh shrink tube.

This shows the port, fore-to-aft cross bar between the rear (shown) and front (not in view) tower tubes of a flight control tower. The antenna is in the foreground.
Upload

Here you see the same except with a wider (and deeper in field) view.
Upload

This shows the bottom of the port, fore-to-aft cross bar. You can see the nut for securing the antenna on this (bottom) side of the cross bar. This took a good sized hole, but I was able to do it with countersinks. Note the shallow angle hole in the cross bar aimed at what is the front tower tube (when the tower is folded up). That is how I opened a hole between the core of the cross bar and the core of the front tower tube (this hole is not shown) though which to extend the antenna wire. I could not get a grommet in there, so I protected the wire with shrink tube.
Upload

To drill that shallow angle hole, for a drill guide, I used a Sears pocket hole jig ($40). I had to cut off its last two flanges, so the jig is destroyed for its intended purpose (I guess)
Upload
Old    livin_n_sv211            06-06-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
Again, I pulled the withdrawn speaker wires up and the antenna wire down. So I was pulling wires in opposite directions on both sides of the tower pivot bracket. I started with pulling the antenna down. Then I had to thread on a leading grommet, the three sections of shrink tube, and a trailing grommet before I fed the antenna wire into the boat. I did the reverse with the speaker wires.
Upload
Upload
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-07-2008, 12:59 AM Reply   
mounted mine just aft of the forward position light (red/green) on the bow. Ran the wire using the light hole already made. Funny thing it everybody steps right over then out on the lake they ask where it is.