Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-01-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
I have the stock. Also have one from the Battery Shack and got caught up in the no screen deal. So where is the best place to buy a good HO alternator now? Price/Output.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-02-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
how much output are you looking for...there is a huge price jump (for a high quality alternator) when you get over about 105 amps.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-02-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
dbelectrical

http://www.dbelectrical.com/
Ask for Ron, tell him what you need, they will build to application. Half the price of the big names.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-02-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
What do you consider HO...Jegs makes a 140 amp alt. for about 180.00
Old     (nriched)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-02-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Wrangler power products
www.wranglernw.com
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-02-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Adam- I have the stock one which puts out like 55A. I have a BS HO alt that I bought about 4 years ago that I am not sure what it delivers. Somewhere around 140A. I would like to stick to 140A or above.

Steve- Thanks for that link. They have a 140A+ marine for $140. That is hard to beat.
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/10si-marine%20new%20-140%20amp?
I am going to call them tomorrow and see what else they have.

I am going try to get my boat out tomorrow and run both alts on it. The battery shack alt has a loose conn. and the stock one well only puts out 55A. My BS alt does not hold my voltage at 14.4? Should the voltage be 14.4 when running?

Other options out there for HO alts??????
Anybody found a 200A+ for a decent price?????
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-02-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Anybody found a 200A+ for a decent price?????

Thanks funny right there

Balmer makes a great 200A alt, but it's pricey. around 1k.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-03-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
Grant- I know you have some advise here? Where and how much? You have more experience looking for alts then anyone.

I would be willing to let the BS one go and get rebuilt if that would be cheaper/easier?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-03-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
That alternator Grant posted is the balmer. If you have a multi rib(serpentine) belt like in cars then you can simply have that pulley put on that alternator. If you have a V belt like the one in the picture, it needs to have 2 V belts so it wont slip so you would have to have pulleys custom made for 2 belts. They do have smaller ones that dont require those belts, but than you might as well get the one you posted, it's a lot cheaper.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
A H.O alternator is only one link in a heavy duty charging system chain.
its kinda like this.

1. HO alternator
2. Battery bank
3. Smart regulator
4. Wire
5. Battery combiner

The people at Balmar know way more about a H.O charging systems than most people here. I took their advice all the way and together we built my charging system. Depending on your current draw and the amount of free time (engine turned off) will determan how much its gonna cost you.

Small case alternators. 150 amps and below tend to run hotter than larger case altenators 210 and above. Heet is a major killer of HO alternators.

Most small case alternators are souped up stock alternators. They IMO tend to run hot and dont produce the type of current they claim. Lots of alternators say they push large current loads but not at 600-800 rpm's.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
dbelectrical hand winds alts and machines pulleys specific to low RPM output. They will also send you the proper pulley with it for no extra cost, even if they have to machine it. Save yourself the bloated cost and give them a call. You will be glad you did, even if you don't buy one of theirs. Ask for Ron.

(Message edited by Olskooltige on May 04, 2007)