Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-26-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
I am starting to do some research on purchasing a newer boat and I know anything newer will be better than my 86' Dixie. But my question is, how is the I-ride? We wakeboard 70-80% but I do like pulling out the slalom ski for freeriding as well as friends like hitting the course. Would I be sorry with a another direct drive? Would it give me a decent slalom wake as well as a decent wakeboard wake? I would love the new VTX, but finances(wife) would never let that happen. Does anyone have one or have test drove them. I am figuring late next year, so I plan on test driving and demoing hopefully. But also like the Tige and Moomba...looking for a great all around boat that I would probably hold on to as long as my 86 Dixie... thanks for thoughts
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-26-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
I have an I-Ride and really like it. The wake is great for both wakeboarding and slalom skiing and you can comfortably drive it at a tournament lake (which I do about 3 times per year). The trade-off is that you will have sacks on the floor if you like a big wakeboard wake. If you're into stock wakes, you can stick a sack in the trunk and get close to a stock V-Ride.

I also don't mind inboards and normally just ride with 2 other people. There are lots of factors to weigh when you're getting a boat. I think you might like the V-Ride fine for open water skiing (I've skied behind one once), it may work ok in a course too but I don't think I'd take one to a tournament lake.

Here's the wakeboard wake behind my I-Ride:
http://wakepics.com/view_single.php/Jakober-s-NWWF-Video_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=20308
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-26-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
I-Ride is a great all around boat. The wake with wedge and some sacs is all you need. On the other hand, it is not bad for a slalom boat. The v-ride will give you more room, and maybe sell a little better, but it is a little more expensive. Also, I have ridden behind both and there is no noticable difference in the wakes when they are weighted the same.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-27-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for the info...Dare nice video...do you happen to know if you had it weighted? Or what the setup was? Looked nice...
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-27-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
I had two of the 750lb Pro X sacks on either side of the engine, the locker sack (MLS = 400? lbs) the wedge, and 5 guys in the boat.

It's pretty quick to fill up the two side sacks but you lose floor space. If you are only wakeboarding you might get annoyed at that.

Another D-Drive to consider would be a Supra Launch. Never skied behind one but a buddy of mine has one and he hides 2000 lbs of water ballast in the ski locker and trunk! Awesome wakeboarding wake.

I'd recommend skiing behind a V-Drive. That might help you decide. For me, V-Drive slalom wakes are just a bit too big and my I-Ride is just good enough. That may be different for you.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
I hate to say this and will catch a lot of flack for it but you should at least try out the SV-211. You should be able to find a nice used one and stay in your price range. The SV-211 is the tournament boat that is approved both for Slolam and Wakeboarding...Check it out, you might like it!
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-28-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
I love the Nautique, but that is probably out of my range...or wifes ideas on what a boat should be...haha
I am thinking end of next year anyways..so should have plenty of time to check out boats. Thanks again for the info on the Iride...
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-28-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
Sorry...also the Supra is a consideration...I will be watching the classifieds and then seeing if anyone is intersted in an old boat like mine...my boat is decent...but getting too small and ready to upgrade...
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-29-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
i-rides as far as i have heard have very good wakeboard wakes and very good slalom wakes
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-29-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
I-ride is a nice all around boat. One of my buddies has one and it's always a toss up between my SV211 and his I-ride. I like mine better for both slalom and boarding, he likes his I-ride better for both. We both either have owners goggles or we just like what we are used to. My point here is that I don't insist on taking my 211 so it's not that big of a difference if you understand how to load the boats.

In his I-ride he added a 500lb fat sack inside the rear locker, that with the wedge and MLS center sack do a nice job of throwing up a nice steep kicker for boarding. We drain the sacks and lift the wedge and we are good to go for skiing. If you do not typically have more than 4 in your crew the I-ride is a great choice. If you usually have more in your crew you might want to consider the Sunscape V-drive (or whatever they call it now), it is on the slalom hull but makes good boarding wakes. The V-ride is the old wakesetter hull so it is world class for boarding but it might be a little challenging for skiing.

They also drive very different. BTW, the stock 320LCR in the I-ride has plenty of power. Probably want to step up to the Monsoon for any of the V-drives
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-30-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
The V-Ride is a pure wakeboarding boat by design. I guess you could order it with the Diamond hull if you want to ski with it.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-30-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Now you say it is just a wakeboarding boat...but isn't it the same hull as the I-ride? Is it just wakeboarding just because of the motor location? I would think since the boat weighs practically the same(100lbs difference) wouldn't it give a similar wake at ski speeds? trying to think for next year...and then test drive...but wanted to see other peoples ideas...
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-30-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
Nick
I have an '05 'Bu XTi for sale
I put the Rival ballast system in ...with some quick release fittings and a custom dash panel
I am in Texas
email me if you are interested
the boat has 100 hours on it
I am selling 'cause I just don't slalom anymore...and want a VLX
here's a pic
thanks
noodleski@sbcglobal.net
Upload
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-30-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
The i-ride and v-ride should throw almost identical wakes. If you were to sack them out with the same weight distribution they would be EXACTLY the same. Neither of those boats throw out a very good ski wake but the boarding wakes are amazing. The only problem with the i-ride is that to get a killer wake you are going to have to put sakcs on the floor, where as in the v-rde they would be hidden in the lockers (a HUGE reason to by a v-drive!) Also, if you get into surfing all of those sacks on the floor of the i-ride will really be a PITA...trust me, I know from doing this for 3 summers.

Honestly, I bet that you would be happy with the i-ride, but once you are ready to load it down with either people or weight you will be dying for the v-drive and kicking yourself for not forking over the extra g's right now. Its usually cheaper to spend a few thou now then take a hit on depreciation when you sell your i-ride a year down the road and buy a v-drive boat...JMO
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-30-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
Just one more thing, I would really advice NOT putting a sack in the rear compartment of the i-ride cause the gas tank is below it and the floor is supported by anything but that tank...if you put too much weight on top of it bad things could happen.

Only reason I mention this is because two people have said that they do it. They might not have had problems yet (very well may never) but I don't risk it in my boat Sunsetter LXi (just like the sunsetter LX which is the same as the i-ride but ona different hull and 8" longer due to the trunk)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-30-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
Good point Patrick, we put a hard floor between the gas tank and the sack to support the weight evenly above the tank.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-31-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Do you have any pictures or instructions? I would like to build a real floor with supports but have just been too lazy, plus with a sack back there we wouldn't have any room for our junk...but I am still interested in doing it!
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
The gas tank is behind the rear compartment, not below it. At least it was on the 2 i-rides I owned.