Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-16-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
My son is 6 and wants to start surfing, I have a hyperlite broadcast 5'6" board. Is there a better board out there for a 6 year old to learn how to surf on? I am thinking this board might be to big for him. He is about 60 lbs. I am thinking about buying a Tsunami for myself which is a little shorter in length which he might be able to use.

Any help appreciated.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-17-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
My son is 5 and I have been having the same thought. P5 has a scamp board for kids, and I guess there is a Walker board coming out at some point. Someone also said they use their old Obrien Shredder wakeboard, which I may try since I recently found mine.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
My son is 9 and weighs 60 lbs. He does just fine on my CWB board. I think it is about the same size as the broadcast.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-17-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
My son was 9 and learned on a Phase 5 Prop. Being a light board was really good for him. Especially when they get hit with it. He was OK on that board but it would be easier to work a smaller board. My daughter at 11 was an ace on that board. At 6 your son might have trouble with that much flotation too. (Not that the prop has much flotation)
Physically small is good because they don't get much leverage with their feet. Light is really important. I'm not an expert, that's just my experience.
Old     (ridetige)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-17-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Rag Boy had a good video clip on teaching kids to wake surf last week. Really good. I have a 6 year old and I am trying to find a small board as well. Rag boy is trying out the Walker board you are referring to in his video. Hopefully they release it soon.
Old     (ridetige)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-17-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Here is the link I was thinking of:

http://wake9.com/blogs/how-to-wakesurf-101/
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-17-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
Would the CWB Tsunami be a good fit for a 6 year old? I know its more advanced, but it is quite a bit shorter at 57". I could also use it for an advanced board on the boat.

Any thoughts on this?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-17-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
There was a 7 y.o. rider at the first Barrel Boss contest. He was practicing on a big broadcast. He could ride it, but it was really beyond his control. We put him on a custom 4'6" Props and he loved it. He also rode the new Coex and seemed to like that just as much.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-18-2009, 1:01 AM Reply   
Thomas in that video has been surfing since he was 6. And I am working on my 4yr old at the moment.

The board thomas is riding in the above video, is a special kids board from walker project, it should be available from wake9.com in about a week. I will let you know.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-18-2009, 1:15 AM Reply   
There is some real good video, in part 2 of this video, of Thomas riding the new Walker Grom board I am speaking of.

http://wake9.com/blogs/ragboy/2009/06/09/the-best-wakesurfing-boat-for-wake9/
Old     (pwtxstar)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-18-2009, 4:50 AM Reply   
I started my daughter out when she was 9. The hardest thing for kids is to get the board turned up on its edge when starting. We started out with an adult sitting on the platform holding the rope short and tight. The adult would flip the board and put their feet on the bottom of the board and have the child push on the top of the board. Essentially, the child is pushing against the adult. Then put the boat in gear and as the board gets "push" from the water, slowly let out the rope until all of the slack is gone. Then slowly take off. Worked well for all of the kids we teach.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
My cousin learned on the Tsunami, and he is 7 and about 75 pounds should be fine.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-18-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Walker boards has a 4' gromm board they are producing for little kids. I have contacted the rep for norcal, hopefully in the near future we can give them a try. There Comp X 4.8 is also supposed to be a nice board.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-18-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
My kids started with the broadcast 4.9 and it was a bit big for them. They are now using my Phase5 icon at 4ft3". They can get up much easier as it sinks better and flips better for them.

My son was 5 last year and wanted to surf but only would start surfboard style and ended up dropping in off the wave and into the swim deck. Hasn't done it since, but my 9 and 11yr old use my Icon as well as the wife and myself. I may get a bigger fin to stop them from spinning out.

Scamp would be perfect for little kids, but since we already have something close we'll just work with what we got.

Our Icon is much easier than a shredder to flip and sink on takeoffs.