Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-13-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
I was out over labor day weekend noticed that my tower speakers shut off, figured the amp overheated due to the 100 degree weather and non-stop playing. The speakers never came back on after two days of being off so figured I burnt up the amp and sent it back to zapco. Amp is a 750.2 Reference, they called said the amp was fine but the fan was bad so i had them replace the fan and send it back.

I get the amp back plug it in, turn it on. Right off the speakers sound horrible. I flip the impedance and they get a little bit clearer. I begin to turn them up and boom nothing NO SOUND. Now i cant get any sound out of the amp. So I gave zapco a call they think its a bad speaker causing the amp to shut off or bad voice coil.

They said to test the speakers which should result in 4ohms on my volt meter. I cant get any type of resistance out of the speakers on 200 or 20k
I'm about to order another set and start replacing , i checked the wiring everything seems right.

First off this is the set up. With how they are wired.

4-6x9s Audiobahn Marine speakers wired as follows the second diagram.
Upload

Any ideas? How should i be testing these speakers?
Old     (sbilyeu)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
I would wire the speakers 2ohm stereo if using the same set up. But, since you are series wiring your gear if one of the speakers has a problem they all wont work right. Like Christmas lights. Take each speaker out and test individually. Touch a AA battery to the speaker wire for each speaker briefly to see if it "Makes a popping sound". Popping is good, no pop dead speaker. Also Multimeter each individual speaker for 4ohms. If you did not get a reading before it may have been 1 speaker bad causing you not to get a reading through your series wiring. Last just run a wire to your amp as a test wire. Hook it up to each speaker one at a time and play the system. You will find the bad speaker. My guess is 1 or 2 bad speakers is causing problems through all because it is wired in series. Try 2 ohm stereo once you fix the problem. Good luck bro....