Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-16-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
After seeing a previous thread I went looking for some way to protect the transom from damage by wakeboards without degrading the look of the boat. I found a company that measures and custom cuts prior to application so that there is no chance of damage to the gel coat by blades. This company does all kinds of cars even Formula One cars. The material is virtually clear when applied. I also had the deck area where people get in covered.
www.armourfend.com
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-17-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Looks to be the same 3m stuff that has been mentioned before, correct?

Do you have pics? I've been thinking of getting some done as well...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-17-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
I found this while doing a search a while ago.

http://www.keelshield.com/index.php?id=10
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-17-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Thanks Adam! Did you get one of those? If you did, Any problem with bubbles or anything during the install?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-17-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
No, I bought another kind that someone posted on here about a year ago...it works but turned yellow after a month or so (but no bubbling), but was only $25. I'm going to order one of these. They say it won;t yellow. and installation is not to difficult. They have installation instructions listed on the site. Upload
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-17-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Do you let people put on their board while sitting on the rear hatches? If so--you're asking for dings.

Have folks stand on the swim platform, facing the boat. (i.e. their toes are pointed toward the bow.) Lot harder to wack the board into the gelcoat from that position.

My problem has been newbie wakesurfers getting too close the boat and falling. Some of that armor fend to stop the wakesurf boards when the rocket forward sure would be nice. Be a lot less painful then using my leg to block...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-17-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
my personal experirence is no matter how careful you are ,you will get dings/scratches....$40-50 and 30 minutes of my time is worth it. Doesn't matter if you ride with advanced riders all the time or beginners....accidents happen. It's cheap insurance IMO
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-17-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Here is what I did. Gator grip is the shiz! Have it a couple other places on the boat, but I put a strip along the transom where the boards hit when putting them on. Works great, and I think looks good also. You can see it behind the board.

Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-17-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
Here is a picture. It is UV protected so it won't yellow. This is the only one I found that doesn't require cutting after it is on the boat. Didn't want to take a chance on damage to the gelcoat.Upload
Old    bocephus            04-17-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
Another nice Sanger from Semper!