Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-16-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
I am considering trading my 03' Launch for an 05' 22SSV or 21V. I am really struggling with which one to put more effort towards. I really like the look of the SSV and know great things about its wake and quality, but I am struggling with the lack of storage the most. I really like the 21V also but am unsure of the wake and the handling.
-Is it a tank on the water or does it handle well? Lots of bow rise?
-How is the wake on it? and what is the optimal weighting?
Old     (wakecrazy21v)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-16-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
Hey diggs, Ijust pick up our supra 21v 05. Its a great ride. If you would like to ck out the 21v email me @ setserr@msn.com. john s.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-17-2005, 4:13 AM Reply   
FWIW, Water Ski magazine just did a review on all of the Supras, 21V, 22SSV, 24SSV. You may want to check their web site as it has some good info and a video review.

At the boat show this weekend, I was definitely more impressed with the 21V and the 24SSV. I can't stand the freeboard on the SSV... it literally feels like you are sitting on the floor however, that may not bother you.

From what I have seen posted on the 21V, people have been very happy with the wake. While that boat is a tad shorter and a bit wider, it has a great chunk of room (however the 24SSV is ungodly on the amount of storage).

There was one post stating that it doesn't handle the chop well however someone quickly contradicted that. I would think the 21V would handle it better and take less water over the bow due to the freeboard.

Can you not get out and test drive the 21V? That is really the only way as everyones perceptions of "lots of bow rise", "Hows the weight", "optimal weighting" is different. Depends on what you like and what you are used to.

I am on the verge of the 24SSV pending a test drive this weekend.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-17-2005, 4:18 AM Reply   
Ive spent most of my time last summer in a 04 ssv, and I spent a day test driving an 05 21v. I would pick the 21v over the SSV, but only by a small margin. I could not say anything bad about either of these boats.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-17-2005, 6:19 AM Reply   
Yeah I plan on water testing both. I just value everyones opinions on these boards for learning the things you can pick up on a 30 minute water test and what others like to help re-sale. Thanks
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-17-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Understood, I was just hoping that you could actually get out on one or both and it sounds like you can (and will).
Old    zboomer            01-17-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
One more datapoint. I own an SSV, but have driven and demo'd a 21V.

They feel entirely different in the driver's seat. SSV handles better IMO, and feels a lot lighter, although it's not. To me the 21V without ballast felt like my SSV with ballast, but that's probably an exaggeration.

You feel like you're driving the titanic in the 21v, it has so much freeboard. It feels good, but heavy and "solid" for lack of a better term. Like driving a big Benz or something.

Aside from that I loved the 21V. Wake seemed almost identical to the SSV to me, but it has a lot of storage, and the new towers rock. New interior is super nice.

As they say, you'll have to try both, see what you like!
Old    buttskimmer            01-17-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
Driven both too. I own a SSV - I don't believe there is another v-drive that handles like it. Its like a DD - the wakes are close,but I think the SSV wins there - storage and seating is quite different. Tough call. Since my previous boat had low freeboard,the ssv is sleeker, and I don't see any rough water other than my own wake or others. Besides - I didn't get to choose. You do. Either way - you can't lose.
~S~
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-18-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
HUM, lets see - get a Launch wake in a v-drive and bigger storage, and spend 2K less than a SSV. I bought a 21V.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-18-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
CHRIS WALKER....didn't you have a Launch DD?? when you get a 21v??
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-19-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
SUPRASTEVE, yes I had an 01 Launch and traded it for a 04 GG SSV and traded it for an 05 21V.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
CHRIS....when you get it?? from So. Aus. Mar.?? What colors?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-19-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
Drove both today. Thanks to the dealer and John up above. I do like the handling better on the SSV, but I think overall the 21V is winning the race. John's boat helped and of course I will give out some props to the dancing girls on John's boat!!
Thanks for the info everyone. I will let you know if I decide to buy and what it is.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-20-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
SupraSteve,I got this about 2 week into NOV. It has not been in water yet. Install of GG speaker/light bar, duel battery, Sirius, 3 amps, caps, 2 subs, GG bags, and a few decals are in progress for display at Indy boat show. Cant seem to post pic but it is GG colors of Britney Blue/Granite

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-24-2005, 6:34 AM Reply   
Hey John Setser, did the dancing girls come with the boat? I havnt had my 21V in the water yet and wanted if they are under the boat cover, If so Im going right over to the dealership today
Old     (wakecrazy21v)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-24-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
You kown what they say chris, You build it and they will come.
The 4th