Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    cwbabsolute1080            08-02-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
so im going to get this floating dock from a neighbor and I want to make it into a kicker... now I love the OWC kicker "big white" and I want it to feel a lot like that (Maybe a lil taller) The dimensions of it are 10 feet long by 8 feet wide and I want to cover the whole area and have it go into the water on teh take off side.....
I really like how the OWC kicker is very mellow and I want this to be like that.... but with as much kick as possible (nothing flat).... Does anyone wanna draw up a set of plans to make this happen... like how you think you would do it.... I have a few of my own ideas but I would liek to here how others think it should be done... Im going to have hte top covered with ply wood and then I will probably put down sheet pvc liek at OWC..... any help would be awesome!!!! OH I forgot... the surface of the dock now is 1 foot, 4 inches off the water.... and I dont want the top of the kicker over 6'4 give or take a few inches.. Thanks again

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    cwbabsolute1080            08-02-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Upload
Old    cwbabsolute1080            08-02-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Thats what I am thinking

in the view on the right.... each support with a blue pinstripe is actually a full rectangle that will be secured to the surface...

ANY OPINONS??
Old     (rmitchell242)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-02-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
lets do this
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
I would scratch the floating dock altogether... we've made a ton of kickers and the idea is not to make it much but solid.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            08-03-2006, 12:19 AM Reply   
so you think I should build it where it sits 15 feet under water.... and I can swim down to it.. and swim off the edge.... sounds a lil iffy
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
All of O'Dubs obstacles are floating. BTW, that's me standing on the dock with the white helmet on.:-)

I've always thought that you should make a pyramid kicker. That way you could hit it hs or ts from both directions depending on which side you drove the boat. Also Chris, try and make all brace pieces form a triangle for strength. I.E. your rectangular supports should have triangular bracing in both axis.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
ok i have made a bunch of kickers and box ramps for bicycles and skateboards and whatnot and the easiest way i have found is to make to sides out of plywood or whatever. cut them to the desired angle/shape you want the kicker and cross brace it with triangles. i dont know if that made any sense but i cant draw on the computer so
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
just do it like this if you want it to be easyUpload
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
ps my experience with transitions hasen't been good, it builds to much resistance at the top. Usually sends me into a front flip. Spinning and control is way better if it is flat. Inverts would be harder though.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
I remember the pain that kicker put me through!!!!
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
ive seen some .. just make sure it goes al least a foot under the water...

that would be painfull if you got stuck under it hahah..
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-03-2006, 11:41 PM Reply   
Mike how about a couple pics of the "beast" with the transition. Might better illustrate what you mentioned earlier about the kick.Upload
Upload
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
thanks, i lost those when my pc died. that also shows more of the plywood being used for the support. i just put 2x4's every 6" or so with a few cross braces. we use it for bike jumping into the lake as well.Upload
Upload
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
scotty, do you have the pics from the shasta trip?
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Yeah, got to get home and then I will post