Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-16-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
OK - this is the first year that I have experienced really tight steering after taking the boat out of winterization and I tried Greasing the Zirk fitting on the prop and it's still really tight. Are there other fitting besides the one on the rudder? Is there a way to grease the cable? HELP!!!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Nope, you will have to get the grease up there into the steering cable. If that is not possible, you are looking into purchasing a new cable. The is a common issue with Tige's. Sorry. :-(
Old     (frr)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
No can grease cable. I just replaced a cable on a 06 22v because Taylors boats wanted 110 dollars per hour for 3.5 hours. lol This po boy just did it himself. The cable will run you about 150, make sure they give you the correct one to. I just assumed Taylors (brain dead) boats gave me the correct cable, so I installed it and it no matched up to the steering wheel. This made me very very mad because it is such a pain to thread the cable. Look at tigeowners.com for a good write-up.

(Message edited by frr on June 16, 2008)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Zirk on the prop? Or on the rudder? Definitely should be on the rudder, under the floor, right where the rudder shaft comes up into the boat.
You may also find one under the steering wheel on the rack. Not sure what rack Tige uses but my old MC had one there too. Grease it, then work the wheel back & forth, then try greasing again, work it back & forth, etc.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-16-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
I meant rudder- duh - and i don't see any fitting under the dash on the steering set-up. I'll look again, and I have read on some of the other threads it's possible to grease the cable- i'll look at that. Anyone know what the part number for this cable is if I have to change it? It's a 2001 21V Tige.
Old     (frr)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
The only zirk is on the rudder, and its most likely not that. Due to the shape of the hull on Tige's, (low point is in the center of the boat) and where they run the cable (under the fuel tank), water has a tendency to work its way up the cable and becomes trapped at the low point. When your boat sits all winter the cable rust's inside, resulting in friction felt as a tight steering wheel. When you put the new cable in run it over the gas tank, allowing the water to drain out.

(Message edited by frr on June 16, 2008)
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-16-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
I greased the steering cable in my boat and it made it even tighter to turn. Theres no room in the cable for the grease. Do yourself a favor and buy a new cable.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-16-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
Just replace the cable, there is no way to get grease up into the cable. I did mine in a couple hours... & a couple of beers!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-16-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
OK- i am coming to the conclusion that this is a no fix item and needs to be replaced soon. I did however, undo the rudder from the cable tonight and yes the cable was still tight, but when I turned the steering hard left and right it really loosened up- i am assuming some grease got down in the cable and freed it up a bit. I will definitely replace this thing sometime this summer though. Anyone have a part number for a 21V 2001 Tige? Thanks!
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-16-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
You can find the part # on the cable housing if no one here has it