Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    smithbros            05-12-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
whats up everyone......so heres the story....just bought a new boat(1989 mastercraft ts190) about two maybe three weeks ago......us guys thought it would be cool to put a couple subs in to add to the stereo....Im about 2hrs away from my boat so i guess my older brother decided to put it in a couple days ago........making a long story short......he screwed four screws through the bottom of our new boat......whats even more stupid is he didnt even know he did it.....left it for my dad to find and he totally flipped along with me as well....couldnt believe this happened.....i havent seen the damage yet and here is my Question......how much damage is it gonna cause and is it an easy fix????please let me know soon cause i cant stop flipping out....just want to punch my brother in the $#%@#$% mouth!!!!lata
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
those must have been long screws?

I mounted my sub in the bow under the dash and didn't run into any issues... My guess would be its not a HUGE problem... Fiberglass guys will have to fill the holes with fiberglass resin, cure and then touch up the gel coat. Can't see it being too expensive for a few small screw holes... I wouldn't flip out anymore, although a few good swift kicks to your brothers mug might make you feel better!
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-12-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
Pretty easy fix, as long as he didn't use lag bolts !! Being on the bottom you probably won't even notice it once it's repaired. Just find someone who does gel coat repairs and get a quote (it shouldn't be over $150 especially if you have a white hull). I had a friend with a fishing boat who ran screws through the side of his boat mounting some rod holders..........good fun
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Very easy to fix. When my heater core was moved a screw accidently went through the hull. I think it cost less than $100 to fix at my dealer. Also, I sat on it a while. It didn't bug me too much and certainly didn't leak. Life's too short to let something like this elevate your blood pressure.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Fiberglass is pretty easy to use. Gelcoat is also easy to work with, especially if it's white. If you gotta match the color, it can be difficult.

Here's some work that i did, absolutely zero experience.

BEFORE
Upload

After
UploadUpload
Upload

Can't tell there was an damage, and strong. Done for about $25 and a few hours work (mostly sanding). It all can be done with normal gargae tools, and some stuff from west marine. A couple screw holes can't be to bad.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-12-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have a friend who did the same thing two screws holding down the battery bracket and freaked out. We went to the local boat shop and they sold a gel-coat repair kit for like $20. I used that after he removed the screws chipped out all the loose stuff and then mixed the color to match and then added the hardener and taped around the holes and applied it let it dry and sanded and hand polished and it was good as new. I did mix some fiberglass resesin and covered the area from the inside. I think you could probably do it yourself with no trouble. It was my first time and it was not as hard as I thought it would be.

Good Luck
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
If its just a couple of small screw holes on the bottom where nobody can see it, you might get away with using 3M Marine Sealant 5200. It is made for below the water line; you would use it as a sealant for a thru-hull fitting. That stuff lasts. If you forced it into the hull from inside and outside, I think it would plug the leak. Wipe it off smooth on the outside and I don't think you will even notice (on a white hull).
Old    smithbros            05-12-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
hey....thanks alot guys....makin me feel alot better.....appreciate the help....lata
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-12-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
Nate,
It could have been worse he could have ran screws through into the trailer bunks and then when trying to launch you would have really been surprised.