Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-14-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Just got my boat, looking into getting into wakeboarding... Anyone on Lake Erie here?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-15-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
I would think that it would be too choppy. I've never been there but you want some place where there is no wind or boat chop. Maybe you can find a cove or little off shoot of the lake. You can click on the user list and search for lake erie. Also search variations as some might put erie or a nickname.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-15-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Not sure where you're at on Lake Erie, but if I were you I'd take a drive to Chautauqua Lake in NY. I grew up in Jamestown, NY and my parents still live there. They make the drive to Erie all the time in 45 minutes and they drive SLOW.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
im sure you can ride lake erie, ive ridden on lake michigan a few times, some of the best riding ive done...the water was so clear you could see the bottom out in the flats in like 10-15 ft of water and it was nothing but butter
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-15-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Lake Michigan was pretty glassy this morning, but not exactly quality water here in Milwaukee
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-15-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm wrong. I just figured it be like the ocean cause it is so freaking big.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-15-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
I rode on Erie once. It was glass. One of those rare days. It was really cool to be pulling a rider and not have to turn, at all. Im so used to turning around corners but we just drove straight for what seemed like an eternity. If you run out of gas out there though, your screwed. Some friends of mine did that and were MIA for about 10 days. They floated all the way to Canada. Lived off chips and raw perch.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-15-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Usually Lake michigan wouldnt be rideable. I drive by the lake every day, and only once in a rare while do I see something that you would ride on. The rest of the time it looks like the ocean.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
well yeah some parts of it are unrideable, my cousins got a house on lake MI and you can ride behind their house pretty much whenever you want, you just have to know where to look
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
I am originally from Erie. You can ride in the main lake on the calm days and you can ride in the bay most any other day. Do not know many other boarders up there. BUT my brother is darn good and he would be a good second or third.

We ride on Findley Lake but he would be all for hooking up with someone on Erie as well. PM me and I will give you his number!
Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Awesome, sorry i havent posted on here... Company picnic at Cedar Point Sat. and fathers day today! Busy busy. My dad docks at Lake County Yacht Club... He has a 34' Sea Ray.

My brother used to wake board on the lake but when my dad got the Sea Ray he stopped towing my bro because the boats a gas guzzler.

I figured inside the breakwall out here wouldnt be so bad, ive seen many days with very low chop, but dont know how much is too much! Since my boat is on a trailer i can take it wherever so thats a plus.

I should probably have been clearer and stated that im from Mentor, Ohio... Lake Erie covers allot of shore!

Xgirl - Been to Canada many times... only about a 2 hour ride straight across. I want to get GPS for that exact reason though... Then calling for help would be easier (knowing RIGHT where u are).

Dustin - Erie PA or Lake Erie?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2007, 5:52 AM Reply   
WE live on lake ontario.....you can definitely go on a calm day.....and also if there is an offshore wind and its not to strong...I am sure erie would be the same. Mostly these lakes if they are calm are so in the morning 5-about 9 or 10 until daytime heating can start a breeze....then you pack it in.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
i went this weekend on lake huron just north of port huron, MI. around 9 AM it was perfect...miles of butter...we just drove straight north until we were tired. i think it's pretty rare, but when the great lakes are good...they are really good.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-18-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yeah the Great Lakes can be a great place to ride. On Lake MI in downtown Chicago you can ride inside the break wall near Burnham Harbor and it is great. I am going to be on Lake Eerie for the 4th and can't wait to ride.
Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-18-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
I have some friends that live in Michigan... Probably cost too much in gas to drag the boat up there but never know... Ohio has quite a few inland lakes though that should be nice n smooth. Although they may have HP limits?