Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
Anybody else find that the slingshot recoil lands extremely hard when you take anything big out into the flats. Only happens when I land the board flat on the flat spot of the board. If the board is angled when I come down the landing is soft from the flex. This is supposed to be a soft landing board, NOT FOR ME.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-01-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
I personally speed the boat up 1 mph when taking my recoil to the flats. Some people will probably tell you to land tail heavy. I never liked the way tail heavy landings looked, so I just barely touch down my back foot first and it is really soft for me.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-01-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
this is true of all the flat flex boards, if you land it dead flat it is a pretty harsh impact. As kevin said just kiss your back foot down a fraction first and it will make the landings nice and smooth
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-01-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
Every boards can feel like this when you land on the right spot, specially on big jump into the flat!
Better than landing hard on the wake... I blew out my recoil sunday like this!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
I land flat a ton on my recoil and everytime.... and while sometimes it isn't soft, it is still better than other boards.
Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2009, 11:20 PM Reply   
95% of my jumps I land them in the flats, never had an issue with my old byerly with a center spline. Maybe this just isnt the board for me.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-02-2009, 1:08 AM Reply   
I land in the flats pretty regularly and still think it is one of the softest landing boards out there. Landing a little tail heavy and the board soaks it up, but agree, a direct hit on the middle of the board is not so soft.
Old    Slingshot            07-02-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
Any 3 stage board will have a harder landing because of the flat spot on the bottom of the board. If you land a little tail heavy it will help make the landing much softer. The Recoil is probably the most "knee friendly" soft landing 3 stage board on the market. Try landing a little more on the tail of the board.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
You just need a board with a spine, then you can stomp your landings and it's still soft!
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-02-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
3 stage doesn't land harder... it's ridiculous! One of the softer board ever is the Shane and yes, it's a 3 stage board! Just try an Hyperlite 3D's (continuous rocker) and you'll see what is a hard landing!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-02-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
i've never had a hard landing on my shane.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-02-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
You're right Joe!!! That's why I ride these 2 boards! (shane and recoil) I'm 210 and soft is not a word for me! I love to go big so I always looked for that kind of boards!
Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
Maybe its just my riding style but I cant think to land tail heavy when I am trying to spot my landings.

I did forget to mention one thing though- I am on my old Hyperlite 3ds bindings not slingshots. Think the thinner profile slingshot bindings will help soften landings? More flex?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
nope, dont think it makes that big of a difference. Ive ridden a recoil with other boots and with slingshots. I think the slingshot boots make the board feel better, but the advantage is minimal if you have a pair of boots that are slingshot that are the best for you.

You might be landing a little more front foot heavy than you realise. When people say land more tail heavy, it really doesnt take much. Weight your rear foot just a little bit more and you will probably tell a difference.

Typically three stage boards ride slower, therefore they stick more on the landings making the landings harder. The key to softer landings way into the flats is keeping speed on the landings. That is why I speed the boat up 1mph while taking my recoil to the flats. Maybe the response or reflex would work better for your style? The response is a rocket ship!
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-03-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
I had the exact same issue with the SS response; I land in the flats on 95% of my stuff and the slingshot felt like I was landing on cement. I am on the monarch now and the landings in the flats are waaaay softer. If you land tail heavy the SS is very soft, but I always land dead centered and the SS is not good for that. Maybe it's just us old Byerly riders...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-04-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
^ I was a byerly die hard, but my recoil blew the monarch out of the water on landings... especially at the cables where no matter what you will land in the flats.