Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-09-2013, 4:39 AM Reply   
I saw that dowdy won a few days ago and I always love watching the nominees, anybody know a time-frame on when that video will be released?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-09-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
Yeah what the hell?

You used to be able to set your watch by the release of the Trick of the Year compilation thing. It's normally one of my favorite videos to watch. I don't even know what won, though it looks like Dowdy is probably close on 1260's and lots of double invert+spin variants.

Anyone have the video? Even a bootleg will do.
That was all I got last year and it still scratched the itch.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 09-09-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old     (JohnP)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-10-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
Video was on shaun Murrys instagram the other day
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-10-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
not a very good vid but shows some of it

http://instagram.com/p/d8GNmdwdAX/?igref=ogexp
Old     (mccormickscablepark)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-10-2013, 3:25 PM Reply   
Not the winner but here was one of our local riders that was a nominee.

**Boat guys, I'll warn you, its on cable so no flaming it because I disclosed this before you clicked on it. The kid is 16 but has a bright future ahead of him!

http://vimeo.com/m/74168803
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-10-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
^That's rad. No pre-spin and he landed all the way around.
Old     (AaronT)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-10-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/featu...ear-reel-2013/

Mitch's straight jacket 9 was sick
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-10-2013, 8:23 PM Reply   
Where was Harley? Thought he had a double T2B recently. Not sure if that would take the win against Dowdy's highlight reel, but would have been nice to see.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-10-2013, 10:03 PM Reply   
^ yea i was hoping for that, i know he posted something like DTTB. maybe he's saving it for next year? i have to say 2012 nominees video was better though.
Those Hope brothers should definitely win something though, i mean all three of them got nominess!

2012 Nominess:
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-11-2013, 4:11 AM Reply   
I concur that the 2012 nominees were a tad more exciting to watch.
The hoppe brothers are cray, but their set up almost looks like it makes all those tricks too easy. That system 2 is like 40' up their and the rope basically looks like it's vertical. <-Not hating, just trying to explain why their tricks may not have scored as high with the judges =)
chandler powell is the man. that 12 was crazy.

Trying to figure out where Harley was during all this mayhem....
Especially after seeing this instagram captioned Trick of the Year -> http://statigr.am/p/537620442501396863_358029653
and after remembering this interview way back when in March when harley said http://unionwakeboarder.com/overflow...wns-the-world/
"< Yeah, I’ve been filming with Jake Blodget and Oakley for the past three months. I’ve actually done 7 or 8 new tricks that no-one really knows about yet for the part. So I’m just going to keep filming and riding and hopefully have a mad section at the end of the year.>"

Not to say that 2grand Cash isn't a lot of money...but maybe Primewake movie, the supposed X Star Doc and the Oakley Team film are paying him more for the tricks to premiere in their films rather than having them be released for trick of the year, and when you think about that it makes total sense. Because TOTY is a gamble for harley as opposed to the guaranteed money these films are giving him (and they're giving him more with the new tricks premiering in their films) so he's probably smart for not entering. although I'm sad cuz I don't want to wait lol
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-11-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
I concur that the 2012 nominees were a tad more exciting to watch.
The hoppe brothers are cray, but their set up almost looks like it makes all those tricks too easy. That system 2 is like 40' up their and the rope basically looks like it's vertical. <-Not hating, just trying to explain why their tricks may not have scored as high with the judges =)
chandler powell is the man. that 12 was crazy.

Trying to figure out where Harley was during all this mayhem....
Especially after seeing this instagram captioned Trick of the Year -> http://statigr.am/p/537620442501396863_358029653
and after remembering this interview way back when in March when harley said http://unionwakeboarder.com/overflow...wns-the-world/
"< Yeah, I’ve been filming with Jake Blodget and Oakley for the past three months. I’ve actually done 7 or 8 new tricks that no-one really knows about yet for the part. So I’m just going to keep filming and riding and hopefully have a mad section at the end of the year.>"

Not to say that 2grand Cash isn't a lot of money...but maybe Primewake movie, the supposed X Star Doc and the Oakley Team film are paying him more for the tricks to premiere in their films rather than having them be released for trick of the year, and when you think about that it makes total sense. Because TOTY is a gamble for harley as opposed to the guaranteed money these films are giving him (and they're giving him more with the new tricks premiering in their films) so he's probably smart for not entering. although I'm sad cuz I don't want to wait lol
Agreed. Cash is king!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-11-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
I saw a LOT of cable shenanigans in that video and I am unimpressed with any of it.
I liked the straitjacket one for the mere technical aspect of a new way to wrap up for a spin trick.

But otherwise...

Dowdy owned this reel. 100% deserves his win.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2013, 8:52 AM Reply   
Sorry you can't ride cable, doesn't mean you have to hate what you're not any good at.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-11-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hating on cable is so 2000-late. It needs to go the way of the Dodo and the Black-eyed-peas.

I do think there should be a cable trick of the year and boat trick of the year though. It is hard to compare Ben's Rodeo and Dowdy's double roll to blind. Both are mind-blowing.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-11-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
Sick!

With ever rising gas prices cable is likely the future of the sport. Deal with it.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-11-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
Am I the only one that the 2013 TOTY video is not playing for? WTH?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
Worked for me.

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-11-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
I saw a LOT of cable shenanigans in that video and I am unimpressed with any of it.
I liked the straitjacket one for the mere technical aspect of a new way to wrap up for a spin trick.

But otherwise...

Dowdy owned this reel. 100% deserves his win.
The air double r2r was sick...
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-11-2013, 3:20 PM Reply   
I think there would be validity in having a separate boat, TOTY, cable kicker TOTY and a rail hit TOTY. Hear me out for a sec...

there are some sweet tricks being done on cable kickers. we just seen double flips, a 1260, a funky wrapped 900, and some amazing stuff from the cable.

Then of course there were some amazing boat hits out there. Amazing. I find it hard and I think the judges probably do as well to judge them side by side. And.... if my memory serves me correct there has never been a cable winner of TOTY.. Even with some amazing tricks going down. I remember Tom Fooshee's pete 7 off the kicker and being blown away years ago and thinking man... these cable guys need their own TOTY contest.

Then there's the guys like Dylan Miller and Chris Abadie doing some solid rail hit stuff that never seems like it gets any credit either. Dylan Miller's boat house hit from a couple years ago was HUGE. Abadie and the rest of the shred town crew are sending off some bangers too. I think it's time those guys get some recognition.

Of course Indmar would have to pony up some more sponsorship money to make it happen but really that's the only problem I see here. In the end the biggest positive would be seeing more people get celebrated for their accomplishments meaning more people celebrating the sport.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2013, 4:10 PM Reply   
Indmar is the sponsor... and boat/wake tricks will always get the advantage. Having at least a separate cable toty would be cool.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-11-2013, 4:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Indmar is the sponsor... and boat/wake tricks will always get the advantage. Having at least a separate cable toty would be cool.
Strong username to thread debate / 10

IMO, boat will always have the advantage because of the extra challenge of physics behind it. There's just something about being pulled by a moving, driven object and not only having to worry about the pop, but dealing with 2 different types of momentum.....the momentum pulling you forward, but also the side to side hits of riding behind a boat...
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-11-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
that 12 wasnt even prespun! didnt think it was possible lol
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-11-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
kinda says something when dowdy is the only nominee who actually performed a trick hitting the wake
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-11-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
I think the challenge of hitting the wake does give boat focused riders an advantage. Idk how many nominees there were but if there were enough I would enjoy a boat toty, a cable toty and a rail toty... I think it'd really push people to be creative inside their category and accelerate progression/promote creativity etc.

Well Henry like I said earlier, other boat-focused athletes were economically inclined to not enter. Idk how much the prize money amount dropped when Oakley stopped/Indmar started but it would appear that keeping tricks for video parts is now a better option, at the end of the day this is a job for these guys.
Example:
Why would harley drop his Double tantrum to blind in a free web video with a chance at winning 2k when Prime will pay him a larger contract to have it/other never before seen tricks premiere in their movie?

*Props to Dowdy though, that was sick. Can't wait to see more lol
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2013, 6:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
Why would harley drop his Double tantrum to blind in a free web video with a chance at winning 2k when Prime will pay him a larger contract to have it/other never before seen tricks premiere in their movie?
I can guarantee you that Prime isn't paying any riders to appear in the film; the industry doesn't work like that. Harley probably has incentives built into his contracts with Mastercraft/LF/Monster that would pay him, but that's it.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-12-2013, 7:55 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm in denial that Harley just didn't have anything to nominate
If they don't pay people to be in movies then why wouldn't he enter
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-12-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
I would like to see that to. To me cable and wake are so different from each other there is not much comparison, Its like comparing vert skating with street, everybody's riding the same board but doing totally different things. I love both but for me they are polar opposites.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-12-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
Wait... Harleys landed a temper tantrum to blind?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-12-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
I think it is objectively nonsensical (if that can be imagined) that you'd have the cable and behind the boat stuff in the same contest for best trick.

I mean as far as I am concerned it makes absolutely no sense.

it's a little lazy in my opinion, and very sloppy to have such different disciplines mixed up like that in one run-off contest.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 09-12-2013 at 9:39 AM.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-12-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
Well all we have to go on is this tweet...but really...what else could it be lol
Attached Images

Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-12-2013, 7:02 PM Reply   
yep just wanna chime in on the TOTY. Totally agree, at this point its utterly ridiculous to be putting rail hits, kicker hits and wake tricks in the same category.

Mike Dowdy is a beast off the wake, but how do you compare that to Dylans hit on the rail? Or what the Hoppe brothers are doing off kickers?

There has to be enough dollars in the cable wake scene now for a sponsor to step up and make an official TOTY