Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                08-07-2003, 6:58 AM Reply   
I have been watching Higher Education, and for the most part it is VERY helpful. I have a question that is still unanswered. When they are teaching w2w 180's, they say once you pop off the wake, push the handle to the side. That is all well and good, but to what side do you push the handle?? Am I pushing the handle towards my back hand?

Thanks for the help
Old     (n2mywake)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-07-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
yes
Old                08-07-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
I think the key to good W2W 180s is to let go with the trailing hand. If I try to hold with both hands, I have a hard time landing on the edge and spin out(splash).
Old     (n2mywake)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-07-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
I think the key is to hold on with both hands after you learn so you don't have a free hand flailing around.
Old                08-07-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
180s are super easy... here's all you need to know.

1) you push the handle in the opposite direction you want to rotate. for example, if you want to spin clockwise, push the handle left. if you want to spin counterclockwise, push the handle right. same with 360s and on up.

2) since 180s don't take much rotation, you don't have to concentrate too much on the handle if you don't want. just let go of your lead hand as you get to the top of your air. the tension of the rope pulling on your rear hand turns you.

3) try it like this if taking it big is giving you problems... a) ollie 180s then b) inside-out wake 180s then c) one-wake 180s and finally d) w2w 180s.

just stand tall as usual, stay strong in the air with tension kept on the line, and turn that board. not hard... you'll nail it the first try.

(Message edited by wakingup on August 07, 2003)
Old                08-07-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
Thank you all for your advice. I think the next session is actually behind a pontoon boat, so I think ollie 180's are going to be on tap, because i dont see how you can throw a large enough wake for w2w 180's. but next session behind a good wake, its on.... Thank you all again.
Old                08-07-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
wieght that puppy down with a few 1000 lbs... you'll be surprised :-)
Old                08-07-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
really? are you talking 5k? i figured it would take quite a bit of weight to sink those puppies
Old                08-08-2003, 6:48 AM Reply   
pretty much just kidding. i can't imagine weighting a pontoon would be worth your while. work on the ollie 180's and believe it or not, that wake will have just enough lift to help you out a little. cut into it and use it to get a few extra inches... anything helps right??

let me know how it goes w/ the 180s
Old                08-11-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
well the weekend was fun, but the bad thing was we had to fight the weather. And when we werent fighting that it was very difficult to find decent water. So for a newbie, it was all I had just to give surface tricks a good effort. I just about put down my first successful fs ollie 180 not off the wake but in the flats, but upon landing my nose met the roller left by a donzi. needless to say I did not walk away from that one. I should have waited and then tried, but I was chomping at the bit to add a trick to the books.

Thanks to everyone for the advice