Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
The new system is coming together and excited to share some new KICKER gear! I just got pictures last night and want to show the new line of KICKER marine amps. This is an all new line of full-range Class-D marine amps due out this spring KXM400.2 2 chnl, KXM400.4 4 chnl, and the KXM800.5 5 chnl.

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Hey Eddie looks good!!!

This is Blair how is Benj's back doing??
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Hey Eddie looks good!!!

This is Blair how is Benj's back doing??
Hey Blair, He's working hard in physical therapy and goes back to the Dr. early May. Look forward to seeing you on the water!

Last edited by ETrogdon; 03-27-2013 at 7:41 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
You still in the black and blue MXZ or are you in a new one this year.
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
You still in the black and blue MXZ or are you in a new one this year.
Sold the 22, we're in this one....

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
All I can say is WOW, one year I'm going to buy your boat after your done with it!!!!!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-27-2013, 10:45 AM Reply   
The new boat looks sick Eddie.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-27-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
Nice boat and nice clean install....
Old     (txpilot83)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-27-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
You have any more specs on those amps? I'm about to order a JL MHD900/5 and I might hold off for the KXM800.5. I already have a JL MHD750/1 for my Kicker 6 pack. I guess if I wanted to go all kicker I could get 2 of those KXM400.2s of the 6pack.
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 5:35 PM Reply   
Mark, Here are some specs and highlights of the amps I got from Kicker, hope this helps.

· Conformal Coated Circuit Boards

· ABYC Compliant Power Terminals

· FIT Lab Grade balanced differential inputs

o Best possible noise rejection

o High and low level input capability

o Buffers to each differential input allows for all source unit output imbalances

o F.I.T. accepts output from virtually any source… factory or aftermarket

o Switch selected 12V Remote turn-on, DC Offset or Signal sense

§ If using DC offset or Signal sense turn-on, trigger connection on amp becomes an output trigger

· Analog control of DSP processing

o Classic round knobs for control settings

· Sealed potentiometers

o For reliability and long life

· Custom tooled power connectors (11 degree angle)

· Smaller mounting footprint

· Great new styling!

· Glass fiber composite end panels

· High mass heat sink… 20% more than the competition

· UV protected heat sink finish

· Double-sided fiberglass circuit boards

· Surface mount technology

· High power density/optimized circuit layout

· Class D – IC technology on KXM400.4, KXM400.2 and KX800.5

o Newest generation compact Class D

o Amplifier and drivers are combined in a single chip providing high efficiency and very small size

· Bandpass capability on multi-channel amps

· Buffered RCA outputs on bass amps

o Compatible with all amplifiers

· High performance Litz wound transformers

o This winding pattern equalizes the proportion of the overall length over which each wire strand is at the outside of the conductor minimizing any possible losses

· Caps and coils are glued to circuit board for strength and vibration isolation

· Board layout designed for optimum audio performance

· Three second turn-on delay prevents noises

· Low operating voltage LED flashes if system voltage drops to 10.5V or less

· Auto-reset protection

o Amp does not have to be re-set by turning system off
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
Here's shot of the Six-Pack, installed with internal wiring through the clamps and custom LED speaker rings.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2013, 5:56 PM Reply   
Looks great Eddie.I'm sure it sounds great too.Tell Benj i wish him the best on a speedy recovery.Hope to see you guys again.
Old     (txpilot83)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-27-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
Looks awesome thanks. I saw the video on youtube from Sonic Electronics but that's the only other info I can find on the new amps. Can you share the break down of the 800.5? I'm guessing something like 75x4 and 500x1. I'll prob just stick with the JL HMD900/5 since I already have a JL MHD750/1.

I also have the Kicker enclosures for my 6 Pack (KMTED and KMTES) How did you wire everything through the clamps? Did you drill through the enclosures/clamps? Also, did you make those light rings? I found some online specifically for the 6 Pack but they are pricy. Thanks again.
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpilot83 View Post
Looks awesome thanks. I saw the video on youtube from Sonic Electronics but that's the only other info I can find on the new amps. Can you share the break down of the 800.5? I'm guessing something like 75x4 and 500x1. I'll prob just stick with the JL HMD900/5 since I already have a JL MHD750/1.

I also have the Kicker enclosures for my 6 Pack (KMTED and KMTES) How did you wire everything through the clamps? Did you drill through the enclosures/clamps? Also, did you make those light rings? I found some online specifically for the 6 Pack but they are pricy. Thanks again.
Mark,
Here's info I have:
Since it is Class D, instead of Class A/B, the power at 4-ohms is closer to half the 2-ohm power rating. So:
800.5 is 100 x 4 plus 400 x 1, all channels driven at 2-ohms
At 4-ohms it will be 50 – 65 x 4 and 200 x 1

Mike's Liquid Audio is doing the install, he drilled the clamps and the light rings are his design.Hopefully he can chime in.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
Take the clamp backing plate and find and mark the center. Then bolt it to the lower clamp half. next, drill through the backing plate, clamp and sizing insert all together with a drill press.

Next, bolt the clamp half and backing plate to the pod. Now drill through the pod.

Just to keep everything lined up, keep all the backing plates, clamps, sizing inserts and pods together as a matched set.

I do not have pics with binding posts removed and plugged, but will get a couple tomorrow. i uses a plastic snap-plug and glued it in with a dab of clear silicone.

The rings and LED strips are done custom and in-house.

Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
All I can say is WOW, one year I'm going to buy your boat after your done with it!!!!!!!
Thanks Blair
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Jarrod, Tyler and Robert! Look forward to seeing you too Robert, come chat with us soon!

Awesome work Mike,I was interested myself on how the towers were done.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
Finished look

Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-28-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpilot83 View Post
You have any more specs on those amps? I'm about to order a JL MHD900/5 and I might hold off for the KXM800.5. I already have a JL MHD750/1 for my Kicker 6 pack. I guess if I wanted to go all kicker I could get 2 of those KXM400.2s of the 6pack.
The hot ticket for the 6-pack will be a pair of KXM400.4 amps, both bridged. Don't do it with the KXM400.2s as you won;t get as much power out, despite them having similar power ratings. It is an impedance thing.

Use one KXM400.4 for the left side and one KXM400.4 for the right side. For each side, use AMP1 for the horn and mid of the KM6500.2. Use AMP2 for the spare mid provided by the KM6500. Do the same thing on the other side. This shows each bridged half of the amp 4-ohms and you will get full rated power out, for an 800 watt stereo tower system.

Crossover set to HI PASS
Crossover frequency (Hz) set to 150 or higher
Bass Boost TOTALLY OFF
Gain set in line with the numerous tuning guidelines that are out there.

FYI,
Lots of people will over-think the 6-pack and try to run the mids separate from the horns. There is no need to do this, and it screws up the impedance loading. The reason my wiring recomemndation works is the fact that although the horn and mid in a KM6500.2 are wired in parallel, their impedances don't sum, as they play in different frequency ranges because of the attached crossovers. A 4-ohm horn and a 4-ohm mid in parallel still show 4-ohms due to the crossover and the frequency dividing that happens. If you put two mids in parallel, they will sum to 2-ohms, which is too low for a bridged amp. Hopefully this makes sense! I can draw a wiring diagram if necessary.

If 800 watts on the tower sound excessive, know the 6-pack can be simply wired to a single KXM400.2. With two mids wired in parallel, with the horn wired in parallel with that you get a 2-ohm load. REally nothing could be easier, as it is a single speaker wire to the left side and a single speaker wire to the right side to drive all 6 speakers.

Hope this helps your tower system design!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-01-2013, 7:56 AM Reply   
My system is getting wrapped up and I have pictures coming regularly, so thought I would share. Here is the build list:

• 4 pair KM6250.2 component sets. Driven on a single KXM400.4 Full-Range Class-D Marine amp @ 100W rms x 4 @ 2 ohm

• Kicker KM6500.2 and additional KM6500 mids for the “6-Pack” driven by a pair of KMX800.5 Full-Range Class-D Marine amps. Each bridged on the full-range chnls for 200W rms to each.

• 15” L7 2 ohm DVC driven by the 2 sub chnls of the KXM800.5 amps. Each 2 ohm voice coil is powered by an amp for a total of 800W to the sub.

Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-01-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
All in-boats are component sets, with and with and without LED’s.

Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-02-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Power is up with ACR , Onboard Charger, Shuriken AGM with batteries under the passenger seat.

Old     (txpilot83)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-06-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
TigeMike,

Do you have anymore pics of those light rings? You sell them? Did you just insert LED strings into them? How did you wire them? Did you have to use after market screws? The screws that came with my kicker enclosures don't seem like the'd be long enough with a light ring between the speaker and enclosure. Thanks!
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-16-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   
My boat is done and on the water, but want to share some more speaker/sub options from KICKER. The first picture is of the KM6204W, it’s identical to the KM6200 and also available with charcoal grills. The new white grills will look great with a white color scheme!

The new KM6LC is similar to the KM6130, but has back-lit LED shown here. It’s also available with the white grill and only a blue LED option at this time. The lighting effect is Amazing!

KICKER is also offering the KM-10 10” sub with a white grill to match the in-boats in this press release: [url]http://www.alliancewake.com/goods/goods-kicker-km10-marine-subwoofer/

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-16-2013, 10:36 AM Reply   
Very nice install Eddie, you always do some awesome stereo systems in your boats. I am surprised we don't see more Kicker systems, it looks like they put out a great product. How is the head clearance in the boat with the tower speakers mounted on the crossbar? I am 6' 1", I wonder if it would clear when I walked under them without ducking under them.
Old    sperbet            04-16-2013, 10:41 AM Reply   
What kind of speaker cans/pods are those? I was looking at that set up for a while, but the pod/can options were limited. Thanks.
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-16-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperbet View Post
What kind of speaker cans/pods are those? I was looking at that set up for a while, but the pod/can options were limited. Thanks.
They are KICKER encloures, you can get them in singles or duals.

http://www.kicker.com/KM_Empty_Enclosures
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-16-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
Very nice install Eddie, you always do some awesome stereo systems in your boats. I am surprised we don't see more Kicker systems, it looks like they put out a great product. How is the head clearance in the boat with the tower speakers mounted on the crossbar? I am 6' 1", I wonder if it would clear when I walked under them without ducking under them.
Thanks Travis, it's such a solid system that I've been very pleased with. You would still have to duck, but they're not too low.

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-22-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETrogdon View Post
The new system is coming together and excited to share some new KICKER gear! I just got pictures last night and want to show the new line of KICKER marine amps. This is an all new line of full-range Class-D marine amps due out this spring KXM400.2 2 chnl, KXM400.4 4 chnl, and the KXM800.5 5 chnl.

I hear that the new Kicker KXM marine amps are shipping as of Monday
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
I ordered up a KX1200.1 after hearing the great reviews from Mike and Eddie, can't wait to try it out! Great thread going here!