Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-31-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
spy optics is not a huge brand here in Michigan. So I don't have the privilege to evaluate Spy products personally. Is Spy good? And how do they compare to Oakley? I have Oakleys and love them. But bored with shape now. And Oakleys do not have many frames for dudes to choose from. They have geared more of their frames to our wonderful female counterparts. Which is great...it is important for them to look great.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-31-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
Oakley? Check out a pair of Zips (Von Zipper) or Black Flys. Style matters.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-31-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Von Zips are tuff. I love Spy Scoops. So comfy on the head. I got tired of Oakleys giving me headache. Spys are super comfy and seemed to have better light reducing glass tahn oakley. i like Arnettes too. Check out Smith's.

When I stopped wearing oakleys i found a nice assortment of shades that were about 1/3 of the price. I mean who needs a $200 pair of shades. and I've had a few pair. They're cool, until they break or end up in the water. one summer I counted 6 pairs of shades that I donated to the bottom of the lake. 75 bones seems to be my topside now days.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-31-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Check out Costa Del Mar. Far and away the best lens'. All are polarized. They aren't cheap though, but you will never see things around the water the same again!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-31-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
I second the Costa's. After a few hours on the water, your eyes will love them.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-31-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
I like Spy's, I also have a narrow face they seem to fit better.I don't like there goggles.I perfer Scott's.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-31-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
I use spy meteors. They fit my head perfectly, and are polarized. Most of the surf shops here carry them. I'd buy spy before oakley any day of the week.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-31-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have 9 pairs of Spys. I love the style / shape.

Just recently I started picking up the Oakleys. They finally brought some cool shapes. I've got the Monster Doggles and the Gascans.

I also just bought my first pair of Fox shades. They make nice stuff. I love The Meeting!
Old    wakeboardpunk17            01-31-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I am a big fan of pimpshades myself...definately checkout von zipper and electric has some sick shades too. My personal favorite is the Duncan by Fox in white sooo sick
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-01-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
Just so you know Oakley makes Fox's shades
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-01-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
good to know Tim, Thanks!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-01-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
9 pairs J-Rod? When you're cool, the sun shines on you 24/7! Lol!
Old    malibu73            02-01-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
I've had 3 or 4 pairs of oakleys, there great glasses but it seems like evryone and their brother has a pair. The one pair of spy glasses i had were unisex and all my friends and kids at my work said they looked like girl glasses. Also the were tight on my head and gave me a headache, so they were sold. There both great brands, I would suggest trying on first and seeing what you like.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-01-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
I like my Spy's. I rock the Cooper in Tortoise. Kinda heavy and not polarized but good God do i look like a badass. They are super durable and I love how they look.
Upload
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-22-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
thanks for your suggestions on glasses. Still trying to find someone in Michigan with Spy in stock. I want to try on a few pair before buying. Anyone know of a retailer that has a few to try in Michigan? I see dealers listed, but I drop them a call and it's just goggles or one or two pair left. Frustrating!
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-22-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
I rarely notice anyone wearing Oakley anymore but would rock the circa '94 (Dan O'Brien?) shades in second!
I don't know how many pairs of the Cooper I've left at the bottom of Folsom Lake. At least three... They are a good company though and replaced a pair I broke due to errr... uhhh... abuse.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-22-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Check out DSO eyewear, I love the polarized Anthem's that I have.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-22-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Action Watersports in Hudsonville carries them and the display looked full last time I was there. (616) 896-3100
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-22-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
thanks Karl...I will give them a call and plan a trip this weekend to G.R. and try on those shades. What about you Karl, you got a pair of Spy's? What would you recommend?

Thanks Cary...I will check out those DSO as well.
Old    gotwake123            02-22-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
GO WITH THE SPY'S MUCH MUCH BETTER!
Old     (wink_vlx)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-24-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Scott TWC in Keego Harbor also carries Spy
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I think Spy has some of the best sunglass shapes out today... I'd say the most diverse product lineup too, which means your not going to look exactly like someone who has another pair of spys (regardless of the style).

I mean, look at these things!!
Upload
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-24-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Bought my Spy's today........I LOVE THEM....THEY DO LOOK A LOT DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER. THANKS EVERYONE....I AM SOLD.
Old     (premier136)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
big heavy what kind of spys are those?
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-25-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
the one he wears
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-25-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
I wear Costa Del Mar's. Great lens - easy on the eyes - form follows function. At 42, I don't much care about the latest frames, although Costa has some great stuff, I just don't want to look like another balding middle-ager trying to look cool.

Glad you got some shaded you like!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2007, 4:11 AM Reply   
The shades that I ended up with are the Olive Fade Curtis model. A little conservative in styling compared to the other frames from SPY. But they just look GOOOOOODDD! Karl thanks for the suggestion on the Costa Del Mar's. Thats my next search. Michigan stinks looking for sunglasses. Especially this time of year. No one seems to have the make. Or if they do, they have a small selection. I like having a few pairs just to change things up. I have a pair of presciption Oakley titanium's wires. I wear those often when I drive. Good glasses. Especially when it rains. Polarize lens are awesome for cutting down spray mist during the rainy days. So I sport shades often, no matter if it is sunny or not.
Old    d_fresh            02-26-2007, 4:14 AM Reply   
I've contacted the local rep for Spy Optic's. Trying to get some involvment from them at the Walled Lake Wake tournament. Hopefully they can bring out some goods.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Thanks Doug. I have called around all over the eastside looking for Spy Optic's. There are dealers who carry goggles, but not sunglasses. And the few that do have sunglasses, have a small selection. I ended up going to Grand Rapids to Action Watersports to get my pair. I am going to be at your tournament. If not in the competition, at least a spectator.