Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I got a buoy this season for the boat, does anyone know of a good person/company that will do a snap on mooring cover? And what it might cost?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-04-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
Joe, you might want a separate bow cover and cockpit cover if you're on a buoy. The reason is that it's a pain to put the full cover on and off, and if you've got the bow covered you keep out most of the problem in a sudden storm that might blow up, and some of the rain that might appear out of nowhere. A one piece cover is great for the elements but you're not likely to put it on if it's already raining. The bow cover is good for'just in case'.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
Stay away from snap on covers. I won't ever mess with one again.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Art, yes I would want the two covers, from doing some research it seems people do not like the snap on. I had the snap on covers on my old Cobalt and it seemed to work great, am I missing something?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-05-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
I bought a used 1994 MC 205 in 1999 with 59 hours on it that the dealer had installed a snap on cover, in addition to the factory cover. I sold the boat in 2006 with just over 700 hours on it. The snaps in the fiberglass developed cracks in the fiberglass... not just one but like 10 of them. The snaps in the windshield scratched the black powdercoat in numerous places.

Over the 7 years I owned that boat I had two conventional mooring covers & kept the boat outside the entire time, in a boat slip & on the trailer..... & never had any problems.

I appreciate the need for a bow cover in these boats, especially in your case. And I know lots of guys who swear by them. But I would walk away from any used boat purchase if it had any snaps installed in the fiberglass or on the windshield frame. I've seen them installed in the rub rail before which might be a better option.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-05-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
Joe, I don't have snaps. My wife hates putting her arm on the boat and having a snap dig in. It also looks cleaner without the snaps. That means I don't have a bow cover and I could really use one. I just have not figured out a complete bow cover that does not snap. (But I will, someday)
I have seen a couple of custom covers that snapped on below the rub rail and they seemed really nice but it took a while to get the cover on.
My old I/O had snap on covers that worked very well. We do notice how nice it is without the snaps on the current boat.
Sorry if this post doesn't help much but it, maybe, explains some of the ideas.