Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-14-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
So the Dallas/Fort Worth area finally has a cable park coming to the area, and I can’t wait for warmer days to get here. I plan on hitting the new park up weekly, but don’t want to beat the heck out of the board I ride behind the boat. I will be looking to pick up a new stick before hitting the rails at the park, but have no idea what makes a good cable park board.

Obviously something with a grind base would help with preventing damage. Are there any 08 boards that had a grind base that I might pickup for cheap. This seems to be a new trend for this year’s models.

Does the type of rocker have any affect at cable parks? What about size, would you buy the same size as you would for the boat? Thinking a smaller than normal would help with maneuverability.

Anything else to look for? Thanks for your help.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-14-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
my vote - Slingshot: tough as nails and flex is great on rails... the 09 stuff is amazing as far as the base and holding up on sliders... 07/08 are great too... the only rails I usually hit are at OWC and after a year there my 07 base is still in good shape. If you do smack a rail to and ding the board they are easy to fix with sandpaper, you just smooth it out and its good as new..... and you can ride bigger sizes since they are super light and have less swing weight than other boards 10+cm smaller, which makes it easy to take to a boat.
The SS boots are easy on and off to which is nice a cable, and the liners pop out so you can walk in those and not tromp through the mud barefoot

LF Press was a flexboard too in 08, I believe it has the slider base.

Those would be my two top picks
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-14-2009, 10:48 PM Reply   
go check out Company wake
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-14-2009, 11:45 PM Reply   
Company propaganda...

Definitely check out the 09 SS Reflex! I got a chance to check it out this past week, and I think I'll be riding the 141 for the rails this year. definitely a different flex pattern that is going to make presses look sickkkk, and be able to be held out longer.

you might be able to get a reasonable price on the new bill board by ronix if your trying to stick with a conventional board. There was a couple at the Houston boat show that M2 was selling for like 350 or something crazy like that!
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-15-2009, 12:10 AM Reply   
I just bought an 08 LF Watson LTD (rasta colors and grind base) off eBay for about 200 and some change after shipping... you can find Shane LTD's, PS3 LTD's, etc on there if you look. A lot of people at the KC park ride the PS3 and seem to LOVE it.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-15-2009, 4:08 AM Reply   
I have a Shane '07 and use it twice a week at the cable park. It's a great board, but some better guys brake these boards quite reguarly. For the cable park and sliders/kickers I would strongly suggest the "New Schnitzel" boards. They are unbreakable.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-15-2009, 5:31 AM Reply   
SS Reflex.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-15-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
get something with a base that was meant to hit rails. Also beware that learning air tricks on a flex board (if you go that route) is an entirely different experience......
Old     (101wake)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-15-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
The new Hyperlite Clash i hear it is Nick Davies' new board! Grind base and all!
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-15-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
The Ronix Bill board is a pretty sick rail board. I got mine yesterday.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-15-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
LF has a Witness Grind base coming out for '09 that should be a good option. Tom down at TSR helped LF out with this board and getting it into the production line for this year.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
SS reflex
http://wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard10.asp?ProductID=4546

"Company comments: By using over three years of refined technology, the Reflex gives riders like Slingshot team Rider Rob Jacques the power to turn anything into a jib. Since most of his day is spent sliding, grinding, and pressing anything he can find, we added the new Dura Base and the bite-free slide of our Park Ready tune. Then we topped it off with Swoop Tips which turn the edges up at the tip and tail to eliminate sketch landings. Whether you?re shredding a cable park or winching a concrete ledge, this board has you covered.

The Reflex is the first ever board dedicated to the cable or winch rider who demands an unfiltered performance and feel when jibbing, grinding and pressing in the cable or wherever your imagination takes you. "

You don't need a bigger board on cable and rocker doesn't madder !!!

(Message edited by jdwake1 on January 15, 2009)
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-15-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like most of you are leaning toward a flex board. But I am curious about JD's comment. How is learning air tricks different with a flex board.

Also, no one has commented on the what type of rocker. I wouldn't think it would matter at a cable park, but not sure.
Old     (101wake)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-15-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
The best Cable board is the hyperlite 3DS great for sliders and air tricks, it got a name change to the Pulse and now has been upgraded to the Clash same shape with a slider bottom!

It is THE cable board of cable boards! Hands down!
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
well nick davies is sick but who's to say his board is worth waiting untill '10 for?
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-15-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
but what's Nick Davies know about riding cable? lol
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-15-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
Hey Brian! Im a local here in the Dallas area as well. Well East Dallas in the Rockwall area when im not at A&M going to school. I plan on hitting that park up weekly this summer as well! Jeff said they would have a pro shop on site, so im sure they would allow demos. Not sure what brands they will carry though. A lot of people like flex boards for cable. Reasons being the ability to press on sliders and the softer landings flex offers. Traditional boards can press as well, its just a different feel. Some like flex boards and some do not. The new 09 Slingshot stuff all has the grind base. Boards such as the LF Watson LTD, Shane LTD, PS3 LTD will all have grind bases. A lot of companies started putting grind bases on a good percentage of their product line for 09. People are raving about the Bill board by Ronix. I would just say demo. But as a Slingshot user and lover I will recommend Slingshot!
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-16-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Brian, as far as flex boards for air tricks, no matter what anyone says, edging on a flex board is completely different. It's a little harder to learn the type of cut you need to make for the release, and since some parks don't allow fins, if you're riding the flex board finless it makes the cut even harder to learn. I rode a slingshot for awhile and loved it for rails and such, and it wasn't bad for air tricks at all, it was just an entirely different style to learn. There are plenty of shredders on flex boards (a lot of the guys at TSR ride them and blast air tricks all the time). I hear the reflex has a special base for sliders, so I personally would go that route if you want to go with flex since it'll give you some more life out of your board.

I'm currently riding the 09 jstar lidberg board and love it. However, the base is already starting to wear out. I normally ride a witness and I recommend the board to everyone I talk to since I think it's probably the best cable board (in my humble opinion). The witness boards with the grind base should be available within the next few months I'd suggest going that route for sure (or at least demo a witness first)!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-16-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
If you want a SOLID deck with some Flex that Has a 100% Rail warranty and is fairly inexpensive I would grab an O'brien Local. Great board for the Cable and an all around great ride. O'brien is the only company I know of giving a Rail Warranty, you can destroy this board and still get a new one.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
All of the 09 Slingshot boards have a special Durabase on the bottom that is the equivalent of a gind base.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-16-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
i wanted to try the local, but i've been informed by at least 2 different people that it breaks very easily because of the core. both were solidly split in the middle from doing air tricks on the cable.....and no shops back home carry them so i haven't had the chance to demo it even though i have wanted to. i actually ordered one from the-house last fall but it was backordered for a few months so i ended up canceling the order.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-16-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
JD,

I have had no issues with mine breaking and I have been beating on it. Jibbing and hitting the wake on it. The House has them in stock now! Its a great ride.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-16-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Zach and JD, yes we will have a pro shop on site.
As of now, the pro shop will carry CWB, Hyperlite & Byerly and yes we will demo boards and bindings.

The 2010 Hyperlite Clash will be released 3-1-09.

The 2009 Byerly Assault will also be a sick cable park board and boat board.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
OK, so kinda a hijack but i am trying to figure out how to get air on a cable. I know it is easiest on a corner but how. Some have described it as a load and release but frankly I don't get it.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-16-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
Here George I'm going to save alot of time and say watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbfyjaV2Kng&NR=1
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-16-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
The Slingshot Reflex description some times comes off giving people a feeling that it is for rail riding only, but it is also very good for the wake from what i hear. The reflex has been described to ride like a combination of the Recoil and Response. The description emphasizes the dura base (grind base) more than any of the other models but in fact all models have the dura base.

ROCKER
The reflex has a progressive 3 stage rocker. it curves more towards the tips, kinda like a snow board but not as exaggerated of course. This style of rocker is supposed to help even more with tail and nose presses, again, think of snowboard rocker here. "Swoop Tips which turn the edges up at the tip and tail to eliminate sketch landings"--from the description the style of rocker also explains why the ride feels between the Recoil (3 stage) and Response (Continuous). Or so this is how i understand it. never ridden it, just f.y.i.

Robby Jacques rides the reflex and is known for his rail riding. check this video of him at the red-bull wake-lab when he debuted the new board
http://www.thewakeplace.com/videos/TOTDRobbie.html
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2009, 9:34 PM Reply   
http://www.thewakeplace.com/videos/Kaesen_Jeff.html

Heres another video of a little bit of wake riding with the reflex! First video I have seen of it on wake, but hoping to see lots more!!
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
Also, what music is playing in the video of Robby at the Red Bull wake-lab?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-17-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
Cut hard loading the line with tension and then "flick" by pushing your front foot down in the water.

Here is a video of Cable Legend Rob Mapp explaining how to do it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbfyjaV2Kng
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-17-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
lol riley I beat you to that link look up 4 posts :-)
Old     (nick_davies)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-06-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
Yo! hey!

just been seen some of the comments on here and people are looking for a cable park board.
i have been riding the pulse for a few year's now, and i must say it has been one of the most sickest board's to ride on there. it's fast an has the best pop for air trick's etc and on the boat.
now this year i have got my own and it's called the Clash.
the clash has been made alot lighter than some of the other board's and has a grind base on it which will make it alot stronger on the rails and kickers as the park's
it has also been made alot stiffer for better pop and much more quicker for better landing, which you dont sink when booting of the big kickiesssssss! ;)
it comes in a 142, 138.

and its not coming out in 2010,
it will be out by easter just in time for the season we have over here and all over.

hope all is good!
take it easy.

peace!

nick d
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-06-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting Nick, cant wait to have you out at the new Cable Park in DFW Texas.
We will have the Clash available for sale and demos.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-06-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
When is Nick going to be in Fort Worth? I want to watch you ride bro!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-06-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Well I didn't mean he was scheduled to be at the park on a certain date, but I am sure we will work with Nick and Hyperlite to have him out at the park at some point and I am sure Nick will want to ride the new Cable Park as well.
Old     (liquidboarder935)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-07-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
Ronix Bill is made to hold up good on sliders.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-07-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
Brian, ask all of the guys promoting flex how much cable they ride? For the cable, you want a board that is durable and preferably molded in fins like a premier, billboard, or witness. Unless you happen to ride like robby jacques, you aren't going to be doing total nose presses just because you are on a flex board. Learn the technique and you will have no problem pressing a normal board AND YOU WILL HAVE FINS which will make your experience way more enjoyable
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-08-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
I have only seen a handful of people riding flex boards at the cable, and out of those handful, I have seen two slingshots essentially explode. If you are going to go for a flex board, the only one to consider for strict cable riding is a Sine because of the molded fins. The SS reflex might be an ok choice but unless the cable park allows you to ride metal fins, which most do not allow, you won't be happy.
Cable lakes are wayyyy to choppy to just ride around with a completely flat bottom and as you know, the flex boards ARE FLAT. You want a board that you can put on a nice edge going into obstacles and your best bet is not flex.
Nick's new board the Clash formerly the Pulse is a great option for cable boards if you prefer a board with removable fins but they will bust off, and bust off often.
I rode a Ronix One the 07 season at the cable and I broke 9 metal fins. They are not cheap either btw

(Message edited by lfxstar on February 08, 2009)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-08-2009, 5:13 AM Reply   
I think bindings make a difference as well. The cut you take on a cable for air tricks is different than a boat. A lot of riders lay down with thier back only a few inches off the water. You want a binding with no heel/toe lift to get the most air. Of course you don't want heel/toe lift on a boat either, but I think it's more important to have virtually no heel/toe lift when riding a cable. I've rode the cable with a lot of different bindings and have found the slingshot d2's to be the best. They have virtually no lift. I gained a good 2-4 feet on air tricks with those bindings.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-08-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
If you want to piss off everyone in line, ride slingshot bindings. Every kid i've seen wear them takes them 5 minutes to lace up. You are right though, bindings are very important but you want a binding that doesn't wear you out before you even hit the water. But it is beating a dead horse, arguing with "flex fanatics" is a lose lose situation.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-08-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
I saw Nick's Clash board last night, and it is extremely light considering the Grind Base. The base is a totally different grind base than the Bill I have. I think the Clash will be the best cable board ever. I might have to pick one up.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
Kyle (lfxstar)

I would fully agree with you about slingshot bindings taking a while to lace up. i am sure your well aware of my flex-reputation ;)
My favorite thing to say about them is that they are the EASIEST bindings (once the laces are loosened up) to get into but not necessarily the FASTEST. all lace-up boots sacrifice speed for the benefit of ease of entry and custom-ability. SS boots have 3 laces (unmodified and using the ankle harness)

hopefully the new "speed zone" laces for '09 and the drop of the ankle harness will speed things up (i have not seen 'em personally yet)... as a product used out-of-the-box without personal modifications to laces and such.

with that said. it is my belief that the LF VANTAGE boots have the highest rating of EASE & SPEED of entry of any other boot.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-09-2009, 4:53 AM Reply   
People are very fast with the Vantages. I also was VERY fast with my atlas's. My new sovens definitely take a little more time