Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-28-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
Sirius radio is screwing us by making us pay for internet radio after March even though it has been included in the package up till now. Seems they must really be in dire straits if they are going to isolate another group of users to try to extort more money...IE: its in the boat and rarely gets used so I use SIR at work and sometimes at home? This is nuts when their stock is at .11 cents...in the crapper. I sent them a nastygram letting them know Im cancelling after this cycle runs out in March. Pass the word to anyone who uses Sirius Internet Radio
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-28-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
i think hd might be where its at... i got an alpine hd unit and the sound is incredible. its not commercial free but it sounds daaaaaaamn good in my jeep. I ordered the hd reciever through car toys and they said no one has ordered the alpine one when i got mine. They wanted to hear it, and were really impressed.
So its something to look into if you are going to change over.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-28-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hmmm..... I still have a generic stereo in my boat. At least its not an 8-track
Old     (nosebleed)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-28-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
the downside to HD is you don't get the stations everywhere. Satellite you can get anywhere, just about.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-28-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
blame Sirius for signing Howard Stern to an obnoxious contract.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Howard saved that company.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Sirius rocks and it's pretty cheap! Sirius-XM is going to change the cost of subs, it's suppose to be an al carte for channels. So that way you can have howard or not, and it should make it affordable to buy sirius internet radio.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-28-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
and yet he will be their downfall.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
No freaking way, Howard love em or hate him, he is a huge draw for sirius. Look at the facts
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-28-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
He hit growth targets but now with the merger, Howard will be on his way out. They will not pay him like that again.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on January 28, 2009)
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-28-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
How about Martha and Oprah with 55M and 29M each that don't even produce a show?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-28-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
idk i just got serius but its kind of junk , it just playes the same songs over and over again. and they took out the punk music station so now im not a happy camper.lol
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-28-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
yea their main problem is they inherrited oprah's contract with xm. talk about an obnoxious contrct. she dont do crap for the channel and i guarantee she didnt bring more than 3 subscribers with her. meanwhile howard brought at least 4 million subscribers
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-28-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
Hate it or love it, i will continue to spend $20 bucks a month for a variety of channels. Yes I hate that they are adding commercials, yes I hate the fact the price keeps going up. But it's much better then am/fm. I drive everyday for work and nothing can compare. I dont have time to upload songs to my ipod everyday and howard is great.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
They will pay Howard like that! I will bet you on it. This is of course he decides to continue.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
I got Sirius when they first came out and paid for the lifetime subscription. At that time it was a special for $300.00 and you could roll it out over 4 payments. I jumped. Love it for the boat and my car. I HATE the radio stations here in Raleigh. They play the same 10 songs over and over again.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-29-2009, 5:35 AM Reply   
Jason Ellis, Faction 28 12pm to 3pm LA time. Reddragons
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
Why would you continue to pa if you feel like you are getting screwed? Cancel your subscription and use an mp3 player.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-29-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
They've been screwing everyone from the start.... I've found www.slacker.com as an alternative. No subscription, needs no signal, just plays music you choose from the hard drive on the portable they sell.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-29-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
I just got the notice and was a little bummed. Who are we kidding though, nothing is free. You pay for it one way or another. Im happy I have the chance to renew and extend right now. If you think about it, having a subscription for your car, boat, whatever, plus having one at your house is almost like having a second subscription. We were just lucky we didn't have to pay from the beginning.

It's a business, and they're struggling hard to make it viable. I bought it for howard, but listen to it nonstop. I was disappointed they lost the punk channel, but I'd pay monthly for just Howard and Ellis.

I hope they make it, I dread going back to regualr radio. I cant tell you the lat time I had a regular radio on.

Also be careful what you say, I think Jason Ellis owns wakeworld!! (If you listen to the wing, you'll get it) If not RED DRAGONS!!

Speak with your wallet. In times like these, companies will listen. Call and cancel. In a month they'll call you back and practically beg for you to resign.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Howard was originally hired on FM radio by Mel Karmazin. Karmazin moved on to head ad sales for CBS. Karmazin is now head of Sirius; that's why you hear both Howard and more advertising on satellite.

Like many others, I dropped my XM subscription and I listen to my IPod.

(Message edited by lakeski on January 29, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
I've owned XM (hated it) and then Sirius (loved stations like HairNation & BoneYard).

Now we have 4 different MP3 players now between my truck, boat, wife's car & a Sansa, not to mention our phones.

Then I bought a 2005 Chevy Avalanche with XM..... just in time for the merger. Now XM sounds like Sirius & I'm happier than he11.

XM + MP3 = no FM for us.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-29-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
I have it in my work truck and i would never get rid of it... i spend hours driving to some of my jobs and its great to not have to change the channel cause i lost reception

music is ad free... if you do not like the song change the channel.. i listen to about 3 channels
1,21,24 and if none of those are good 103 blue collar

Howard and Bubba are great
Old     (formulad97)      Join Date: May 2007       01-29-2009, 11:55 PM Reply   
Sirius is awesome, faction, alt nation, howard 100&101
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-30-2009, 12:26 AM Reply   
I've had it for years, someone stole my F.M. antenna off my truck when I bought it and its still gone. 28 faction plays punk rock and jason ellis show is sweet. Howard Stern is old and played out. Sucks about the extra charge but I'm never home anyway.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-30-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
Well, to ADD to the screwing, I just got another email from them, informing me that they're raising prices on additional radios. I was a little miffed when I got the internet pop up, but didn't know anything about the extra $2 they were charging for additional radios as well. I've got three radios and listen online at work, so now I've got to drop $330 for a year's worth of listening or pay an extra $7/mo.

What happened to Mel saying that "if anything, prices were going to go down for subscribers"? What happened to a'la carte programming and pricing?

Listen, I KNOW that the business is in trouble and these things are needed to keep the company afloat. I also know I have the ability to cancel my service at any given time and save the $35/mo.

I'm just venting.

Dismounting soap box.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2009, 5:27 AM Reply   
I am telling you guys to call Surius and complain about the prices. Tell them you will go as a life long customer if they will give you the package for $300.00. They will do it. I have it and never pay anything again no matter how much they go up. Plus, get the Starmate or something portable that you can pop out and take with you on the car, boat or pool. We have one unit and several ports. Works great and great reception. I have been with them since they first came out.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
one word (Pandora) Google it

I use it on my computer and my Iphone. Works killer in the car and on the boat
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
^^ Word - Pandora rules!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
Pandora's sound quality through the Iphone, sounds terrible in my boat. I think it's bitrate is lower. I know sirius is lower than CD quality, but still acceptable. I can't handle pandora's quality in my boat.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
Duffy,
You have to play with the sound level on the phone and the boat. Mine sounds great and I only run it through the AUX port. Definitely check your volume on the phone I run it and like half on the phone in the boat and my house. Its all I use though. I only have like 1000 sounds on my phone. But I never listen to them.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-30-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Like mentioned above, for the computer use Pandora.

As for XM/Sirius, the FCC is the real reason why the company is in the awful financial situation they're in, not Howard, or Oprah. It took 3 years for the FCC to decide to let them merge and there were plenty of legal fees along the way.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-30-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
I'm with AL, running Pandora on my phone right now! If you want a ton of classic live concerts check out Wolfgang's Vault app, pretty bitchin!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Still the bitrate for pandora over the iphone is not great. Sirius just sent out emails saying they will wave the online fee for up to 3 years!
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-31-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
I didn't see this above, but are they still letting subscribers put their service on hold for 6 months. I put my boat radio on hold during winter. I think that's rather flexible. Didn't know about the extra radio charge. Then again, I don't actually look at the bill.
Old     (wave63)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
Filing for chapter 11 in the next 24 hours.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-12-2009, 12:15 AM Reply   
Wasn't one of the main issues with Sirius and XM merging the Monopoly issue? MY understanding was the government ended up not caring about a possible monopoly with luxury services such as satellite radio. Well, now that there is no real competition in that area, we should have seen this coming. Prices going up were bound to happen.

If you don't have an ipod/mp3 jack in your boat stereo, buy a marine stereo with one. I was going to connect sirius, but I always have the Ipod playing anyway.

Oh ya, I second Jason Ellis on Faction. "Dude, is it gay..."
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Someone gave Ellis WW and I didn't catch the call?

He should own the Delta too.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-12-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the Pandora suggestion, that site is great! I have a Sirius lifetime subscription and won't even be using it now!