Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-29-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
My daugter rented a boat to a couple yesterday and they were sking and the girl fell. Well another boat was following right behind them and didnt see her and ran her over and killed her. It is awfull. Were the people following her just big idiots? When you fall in the water do you do anything like raise your arm so you can be more visable?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
First of all you don't let other boat follow closely in the first place. If they are you change course. Did they have a safety flag? This is terrible, I read another story where a lady got her leg cut off below the knee while loading crap into the boat. There are some real idiots out there with boats.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-29-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Yes the people were following too close and paying attention - they are liable for this accident if the facts are as you say.

As there are idiots around if I fall down and there are people nearby I usually lift by board up (vertical in the water) so there is as large an object as possible for them to see.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-29-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
If you run over a skier, it is your fault. They were either following too closely, or not paying attention. Either way, they are at fault.

I feel for both families, as that is a horrible accident.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-29-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Wow, sucks to hear about these kind of things. I feel worse for the family of the girl than the family of the one that ran her over. If you don't have enough common sense to NOT follow a boat and be right on top of it. IMO you are inviting trouble and you deserve the outcome. I feel bad that this little girl had to lose her life in this way. A tragic accident that never should have happened. How come none of the boat rental places have a required safety course before you get the boat? (I'm unaware if they do or not) Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-29-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
Terrible.

If a boat comes directly behind me, I change course immediately. If they follow I get to a safe spot and cut the engines and power turn for my rider.

If I fall I've always been taught to hold a ski or board up in the air for visibility. I still stick my baby blue surf board 3 feet while the boat comes around as you can't power turn with ballast safely.

I will say jet skiers are the worst when they try to jump our wake.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-29-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
That is an awful story. Some people are just really stupid and clueless out on the water. Whenever there is a jetskier following me or anybody else when we're riding I make sure to let them know they better find someone else's waves to jump. I live on a private lake and see the same people who are out everyday and still not know what they're doing, I can't imagine being on public water with people who are renting boats and really don't know what they are doing.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
ramon, where did this happen at?

very sad story.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-29-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure he is talking about this. It happened up here in WI. I heard it on the news yesterday. I can't even imagine how bad that must have been.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6234891
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
"Police say a storm was approaching at the time and waves were two to six feet high"
Really? 6 ft waves?
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-29-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Lake Geneva can get VERY gnarly. It's big lake and there are many oversized boats. If those big bastards started hauling butt to get home they can really whip it up good. I was on it Tuesday when the storm came in and it got pretty ugly fairly quick. Of course, we didn't keep pulling anybody in that kind of water! That's dumb.
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-29-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
thats awful but am not surprised it happened on Lake Geneva. For people that don't know much about the lake its a huge tourist lake and attracts some of the dumbest boaters that have no idea how dangerous it can be.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-29-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
"Alcohol was not likely a factor, and no charges are expected."

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-29-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
As a driver, I make an agressive turn immediately after the skier falls down. I try to place my boat between any oncomming traffic an my skier. I know that it was impossible in this case, but it has saved some accidents in my years of driving.
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-30-2008, 12:40 AM Reply   
"Alcohol was not likely a factor, and no charges are expected."

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was thinking the same thing.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-30-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
Thats because they didn't do anything criminal. Accidents do happen. Its up to the family to pursue in Civil court if they wish.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-30-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
Yes, accidents do happen, and so stupidity should be a crime. .... With that said, if you rear end someone in your car. Not only do you get charged with the accident, but you get a ticket, for following too close.

.... Put those two together, and the driver should at least be charged with involuntary manslaughter or something.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-30-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Accidents happen without someone being cited all the time, even rear-enders. A police report describing the conditions of an incident, and being cited or charged are very different things.

nbeihl - Wrong thread for this discussion, but what you describe is unsafe and generally considered bad driving.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
My home lake is small and has a direction to drive around the center island. This weekend we had some idiots in a brand new boat pulling a tube from the tower going the wrong direction and cutting in and out of everyone. Diddnt even see my rider and cut across my wake. He actually had to let go of the rope so he wasnt hit. We tried to chase the other boat down and found them on the backside of the lake with a broken tower (got what they deserved). It seems like there are more and more idiots out there. I am fairly new to the sport and have only owned a boat for 3 years but I did spend a lot of time on this site and others like it to get a general feel for issues people have on the water. My thoughts and prayrs go out to all parties involved. The driver is totally stupid but he also has to live with taking anothers life. Hopefully the story will help others realize the dangers involved on the water if you dont take the proper precautions.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Something about that news story seems wrong.

She was wakeboarding in 2-3 foot waves? That hardly sounds doable. And the 2-3 foot waves didn't allow the boater to see the lady in the water?

What about a flag?

How far did the boat ride off before turning back for the rider? How did the driver not see another boat heading back to pick someone up? How was the boat that ran her over so close but didn't see her riding before she went down?

Something sounds really weird about this one.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
Wisconsin. No flags required.

Lake Geneva is large and deep. Almost unusable for wakeboarding unless first thing in the morning. Lots of very large boats - 60' range.

If this were on a US water (federal), the captain could be charged with failure to keep a proper watch. It is up to the local jurisdiction to decide what will be the proper action.

I do have a friend who killed a fallen tuber. First time in a boat - enough said. He has yet to set foot in another boat. It haunts him over a decade later.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-30-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
the witnesses said that the boat that ran her over were sight seeing. There are very, very large homes on lake geneva. By the way the boat rental company reimbursed them of all charges, not that the $ was the biggest concern here.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-30-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
Ignorance shoud be painful!
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
What good is charging this person going to do? The family will go after civil charges no doubt. Is this person going to jail going to solve anything? No.
I am on this lake (Lake Genveva) a couple times per week. It is my opinion the boat rental business should be SHUT DOWN!!! I can't tell you how many OBVIOUSLY ignorant renters they turn loose on the lake-no safety class, no ride along for demonstration, no CLUE! Hell, I can't even tell you how many times I've seen and dealt with folks in the rented boats who looked at me like I'm from outerspace because I was speaking English. If you can't speak English, how can you read it and how can you boat safely?? Boats can be very dangerous (duuhh)why can any a-hole go rent one with nothing more than a credit card, but to rent a car requires so much more? Renters should be required to take safety courses and speak English....is that too much to ask? Probably would save a lot of trouble. I sincerely hope that rental business gets sued out of existence, we'll all be safer for it.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-01-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
it wasn't the rented boat that ran her over.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-01-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
It is really odd to me, though, that you can just walk up and rent a boat without any training, but you have to take lessons for stuff like skydiving and scuba, where the only person you can kill is usually yourself.

What a horrible situation, I feel for all involved.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-01-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
hate to here this, but we can try to learn from it.

I have a signal to my rider to let them know to hang on and keep watch if someone is following closely or closing the distance quickly. basically it's two fists next to each other meaning hang on to the rope and watch. it doesn't matter what the sign is - just that it alerts your rider to what's going on behind them.

if you're in the water and a boat is approaching, I've found that splashing water as high as possible is the best way to get someone on the approaching boat's attention.

sorry to here about the young lady getting killed. sounds like a big ol' lake where you're gonna have 2-3' swells from large vessels and a long wind fetch on the regular.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-01-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
I think we all know how dangerous this sport is. Are there any other sports where you get pulled by a 3-5k vehicle? On occation we hook up the rope to my truck and pull on skateboards which is a bad idea all together. No matter how upset we get about it its not going to change. You can send people to safety classes till they are blue in the face and will still have the idiots who dont pay attention on the water. My ex has been to many of these for driving a car but still gets in at least one accident per year because she is checking her makeup or some s@#t like that. "You cant fix stupid" some comedian said that and its true.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
Edgar,
It still was somewhat of the "renters" negligence to be wakeboarding in that kind of water.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
I was under the impression the renter ran her over. Either way--morale of my rant is that those damn renters area HUGE safety risk and thier actions are left unchecked by the rent staff until it's too late. Maybe now they'll have some pressure to make some overdue changes--very unfortunate it cost a young lady her life.
Old     (papa_d)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
I allow absolutely NO BOAT, JET SKI ( most all of them on our lake are idiots they are either young or live on lake thinking they own it or week end idiots ) to follow my boat within 200 feet, and NOBODY follows my boarders , AT ALL !! NO BODY !!! and I could care less what they call me either , I call the water patrol, , 911 etc. Jesus with the familes,AMEN
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-03-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
Don you said it. I agree, I have just about got into fist fights about this with Jet skiers when we are surfing or boarding. There are people that think I am anal. I really don't give a flying rats A$$ what they think. My main goal is to have fun with friends at a very safe level. AMEN
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-03-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
I'm with you guys, i get really pissed off at people following close, I'm always waving my arms and yelling. Last Friday we were at the back of our lake and this jetski realized we had a big wake and started following us "jumping" it. When my lady friend was done this jack ass stopped and waited for us to take off again. It was nice and quiet and he got an ear full from me. He did the right thing and got the hell out of there. Clearly having others around your rider is not acceptable. I have long been an advocate for a boaters license, why in the hell do they not have it?!?! It would partially eliminate all of our biggest issues with going to the lake/river ie. uninformed jackasses, leaving us with just jackasses. I'll take it.

(Message edited by stephan on July 03, 2008)
Old     (memphisvol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-03-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
last year when learning to board, probably my 2nd time to ever even get up i almost got run over by a jetskier and his 2 kids...not once, but TWICE in a row, by the same frickin guy

dude got an earful and i was sorry his kids were around, but I'm glad my friend (the boat driver) was sticking up for his riders
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-04-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Boat licenses will be mandatory next year in Canada. Have been implementing over the last 8 years. (Yah our government doesn't do anything fast!) I already have mine and have for 6 years. I just hope rental companies don't somehow get around this and still rent out boats to people without boating licenses.
Old     (abc33660)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-05-2008, 11:25 PM Reply   
"Currently, a Pleasure Craft Operator Card is not required in order to operate a rented watercraft. Instead, it is sufficient for a renter to complete a rental safety checklist. Take note however that some companies have made it their corporate policy to require renters to have their Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Below is a sample copy of a rental safety checklist."

Brent - above is a quote from Gov of Canada FAQ on the Boater's License. So it appears that renters are excluded.

Come on being a Canadian would you expect anything different from our government !!!!!

Not only did I get my license over five year's ago I also took the Power Squadron course.

Frankly the licensing test is a joke compared to the Power Squadron course.

(Message edited by abc33660 on July 05, 2008)