Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-01-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Does anyone have experience with or opinions on this software? I know you can do HDR in CS3, but I just have Elements 5.0.

I have seen some HDR examples in both and they look very similar.
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-01-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Photomatix does a far superior job than CS3, IMO. I'm not sure I would use photomatix for anyhithing else though...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-01-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Well, I really like to take landscape shots so I think having some HDR capability would be really cool. I'm just not sure how much I would really use it to justify the $100 cost...although I know in photography this is just a drop in the bucket!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-01-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
actually PT Gui is better for both landscape and HDR than Photomatrix and CS3
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-01-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Eubanks,
I have it and like it. If I'm doing a straight HDR I use PS2 but if I'm tone mapping then I use Photomatix.

You can do some really cool stuff with both.

There's a beta version that you can use for free too.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-01-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Here is the gallery for PT Gui
http://www.ptgui.com/gallery/

They also provide a free trial verson.

(Message edited by phantom5815 on May 01, 2008)
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-04-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
Hey Eubanks,

Personally either program will do the trick for you. I think photoshop cs3 throws out better results but it really comes back to what you input. If you throw a single JPEG into photomatix and have it "fake" HDR it will look better then in PSCS3. However if you lock off your shot, correctly do the RAW series of three, and correctly over/under/correctly expose it you will get better results out of CS3.

Either way HDR is a little bit of a fad I personally think, its pretty cool what you can do with landscapes but really I dont know if its worth buying a program just to do it. Listen to the guys above and grab a demo version somewhere and test it out first.