Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (gandr_nautique)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-02-2006, 3:07 AM Reply   
I am trying to decide between the NVS 1010 and the 450 Rubicons. Any one got either or reasons to go with one over the other. Looking to hear the sound when riding and obviously there is a small price difference.
Any view would be greatly appreciated as need to order them by tomorrow.
Rob
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
NVS. I have had both the Addictions and the Rubi 350's. The Addictions have a much fuller sound and are built better. They are both good, but I am looking forward to switching back to NVS for my demo boat next year.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-02-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
Definitely the NVS. Very loud and they fill in the tower nicely. Very sharp.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
tough call.....the rubicons are a little smaller if size matters and the nvs a little louder
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
NVS 1010 out of those two. A big reason I got rid of mine was the lack of a quick release. My boat is on a lift now , and it's a must. Wetsoudns had the option. The 1010's are ridiculously loud, and will take alot of power. you'll need a min of 500 RMS per module.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
I have the Rubicon 450's and they got a bit of a bad taste in peoples mouths due to slow delivery, but it was worth the wait. They are screaming loud and clear. There are not a ton of them out there yet so not sure if people have heard both that are making all the coments. I have heard great things about the NVS too, but trust me that you will be happy with the Rubicon 450's. We are the loudest on the river up here (as far as tower speakers go). You can definitely hear them when riding behind the boat.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-02-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
1010s
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Adam,what do you think about the wetsounds compared to the 1010's??
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Big Ed, after having the 4 pro 80 setup for a while now, the 1010's are louder (but had triple the wattage to each pod) I ran approx 600-650 RMS to each module as opposed to approx 175-200 RMS to each pro 80. I say estimates b/c I'm using the same crappy audiobahn (800x1 RMS) amps to push them. I don't think the audiobahn pushes a true 800 RMS, I could be wrong. The 4 pro 80 setup is definately broghter than the 1010's. I have an eq that takes care of this on the pro 80's. The pro 80's are still very loud and do the job. I'm convinced that each pro 80 could handle clsoe to 400 RMS and survive it. (I've run 400 RMS to a pair, vs 200, and was asked "are those two even on?" referrign to the 200 RMS pair. Unfortuanely my amp shut down/overheated b/c it couldn't handle it) The sound out of both is great, but the 1010's have better midbass response at loud volumes IMO. Tha's probably a result of the amoutn of power I was pushing to them. The setup to have is the two pro 80's with a 485 in the center. Both are great systems, the reasons I switched were 1) I run less power 2) quick release 3) don't have to worry about them getting wet damp 4) I prefer the look of 4 cans on a tower.

Unless someone local throws down the loot on some 1010's with the right amount of power....my 80's are hard to beat.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
heard all 3 on multiple occasions...the pro 80's are loud but they are also a bit bright which can be uncomfortable for those in the boat....I would suggest the manufacture to knotch down the horn crossover 6db before I bought...

the nod still goes to the nvs or the rubicons (the nvs is the nicest finish I have yet seen)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
forgot to add one fo my biggest reasons, I forgot about a 40-50% reduction in total weight.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
afterthoughts, I would really consider the nvs...skylon warranty is a major pita....

I have to send my ENTIRE brand new (1 month old) deafcon 4 back because of hairline cracks in the removeable horn/throat...so I am shipping 20 lbs vs 8oz for a replacement..pretty crappy customer service imo... duane at nvs is a stand up guy and wouldn't do something that stupid...

(Message edited by clubmyke on August 02, 2006)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback Adam.I was looking mostly for weight reduction too but found out that I would only lose about 10lbs if I changed my set up.Not really sure how your reduction was so high,I thought the 485 are just a tad lighter and not enough for me to change especially since they were not quite as loud.Didn't hear the 80's yet.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
My calculations were based on the fact that each pro 80 weighs aprox 13lb.x4 - 52 lbs. I believe the NVS are around 40lb/piece, maybe a little less. I was incorrect...closer to 30%. sorry for the error. I think your correct on the 485's. An added bonus is now my g/f can carry or take down the Pro 80's...lol. I have yet to throw my 80's on the scale, I've gone by the manufacturer's weight. Big Ed, I don't think you'll get much louder than the 1010's.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Hmm...I dunno Adam, the DIY 'quick release' that you sent me with your 1010's has been great. Is the one for the PA's that much easier that it is your biggest reason for the change?

FWIW, I run Adam's old 1010s slightly underpowered and have been very happy with them. Weight and size could be an issue, but on my Calabria/Titan tower they look great and there is no visible issue with weight (yet).
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-02-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
Given that choice I would vote NVS.

You should also consider Wetsounds, they fit the bill for me with good near field sound, lighter weight, and rounded plastic corners that are more head friendly than square metal corners.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
Nate, not that my DIY quick release wouldn’t’ work fine. I was little concerned about the size of the thumbscrews used. b/c of the thickness of the metal on the mounting plate I was limited to a small diameter set screw. Over time I think it may strip out. IF you notice there’s also only enough depth for about 2-3 threads thru the metal plate. I’m not saying it won’t work forever, but have my doubts, that’s why I include all the original plates too. The wetsounds quick release is very sturdy, so to answer your question yes, it’s better IMO, but there probably is no single reason for the change, just the combination of everything.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-02-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
I have Tyrants and they rock for sure, but my neighbor has Rubicons and they sound really good. They are lighter as well. I would still buy the tyrants if I had to do it over again only, because I think they fit better in the Titan tower, but the Rubicons a high quality product for sure. Tyrants look tough too!!!

Brannon
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
Adam...I definately have seen what you mean about the short thread area on the plates, I guess it just hasn't concerned me too much. If anything, the fine thread annoys me a little because it takes forever to thumb those things in. Since the screws keep them from sliding and don't actually support weight, I plan on replacing them with either ball-detent or clip-detent pins. That should solve the short thread issue and speed up the process a little.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
my vote is.... NVS
the people are great, todd and duane coolest two people out there with a set of KICK butt speakers.. we can hear them about a mile or two down the delta.. we have the tyrants and wouldnt trade them for the world...

plus the look cool on the tower and you get to say "HEY LOOK AT MY BIG CANS"
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-03-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Robbie, NVS for sure. Curtis will back this up. I am an NVS dealer in Houston and have had nothing but great things to say. Duane has awesome customer service at NVS. If you are wanting the BEST, hit me up at the shop, www.texastige.com. I have Addictions and Tyrants and we will help you out anyway we can. Good luck.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
alot of this is very subjective.. this is due to many factors... it is a mixture of 3 things that are equally important and are good as the weakest link:

- 1/3 is the components used
- 1/3 is the quality of the install
- 1/3 is the final tuning

customer service is also a important factor because something will eventually go wrong somewhere, with this being said, it is important who you buy from.

btw, i called back skylon to confirm before i shipped back the warranty issue on my new deafcon iv and they just wanted the horn body back not the whole speaker- they are sending me out a new horn body- props to skylon for good customer service !!
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-03-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
NVS customer support is awsome. I had told Duane I wanted a set of lights like he had built for jarods x2 and had kinda forgot about it and one day I came home from the lake and there was a box in my driveway with the lights they did for me , Yesterday I was on my way to the lake house and the phone rang it was Duane following up to make sure the lights worked well . We blast our NVS 1010s every weekend and have had zero failures of any type . You cant go wrong with Kustom Kar "dealer for nvs" or NVS . These guys rock .
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2006, 11:08 PM Reply   
NVS 1010. I have a set and everybody on my boat tells me to turn them down a little so they can concentrate on there riding. rope lenth is 80 feet. I am powering them with a zapco 1000.4 bridged to two channels at 500 per channel.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-10-2006, 10:52 PM Reply   
^i have the same issue i have the digital zapco 1000.4 amp setup the same way