Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old    wakelvr            05-05-2003, 3:52 PM Reply   
Wanted to discuss this issue now that I’ve had a chance to try different scenarios with weighing down our X2. I know we have discussed this before, and some of you are probably sick of repeating yourselves. Sorry, I’m still trying to figure things out…

I feel like if we place any more weight in our X2, it would be overkill. Our wake was really nice yesterday. Although at some points it seemed almost like a brick wall. But, after reading other posts I’ve noticed that some people are putting more weight than we are into their x2’s/xstars. I’m trying to figure out why people use more weight and how it effects the shape of the wake and the handling of your boat. So any feedback or comments and suggestions on this issue would be very much appreciated.

For one, what is your recipe?
Is your wake rounded or peaky?
Any problems with the boat planing out?
Any porpoising? If so, is it normal when boat is heavily weighed down, or is it a distribution problem?
Any problems maneuvering your boat or driving double-ups?
Any problems arise as a result of placing too much weight in the boat? (be honest here, I know it happens).

Lastly, when you apply more weight in the back and less in front, the wake will be more peaky/vertical… Correct? I’ve been told this over and over again, however, recently I’ve been hearing the opposite (more weight in bow equals more vertical peak). Which is true? Can anyone elaborate on how the wake changes shape depending on where you place the weight?

Here is how we weighed our boat yesterday, and the wake was enormous. We did have some bow rise, but the boat planed out in a matter of seconds. We also had 6 people in our boat yesterday. We ride with 4-6 people usually. I know this will make a difference in the wake as well.

REAR LOCKER I 250 lb hard tank plus 300 lb sac
REAR LOCKER II 250 lb hard tank plus 300 lb sac
SKI LOCKER 400 lb sac (standard ballast)
BOW 480 lbs (combined sac and lead)

Anyone else have this similar recipe?

Thanks for your time!