Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-10-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Being in construction for 35 years, and owning boats for 30 of them, I have always had 3/4 ton trucks,vans,and Suburbans which have served me well as dual purpose vehicles. Although, DBC's thread on 1/2 tons sparked my interest somewhat and got me to thinking maybe I should consider a 1/2 ton for my next truck. I have not had to tow our boat since '02 since we got a river place and only need to launch and retrieve about 30 feet (see profile pic)
My work hauling has really scaled down to mostly my tools, with an occasional material run as most of my subs are hauling their own materials, or I have large loads delivered.
Our sons have their own trucks now, and it's been a long time since anyone was in the back seat, except the dog.

I keep my trucks for at least 10 years, and most have had well over 200,000 miles on them before I retire them, so when I buy something new, I better like it. I've always thought of 1/2 tons as wanna be trucks, and kind of girly, but I can see set up the right way, they can look pretty good as some of the pics on DBC's thread prove.

So here's my thought. I'm coming up on 200k on my 2500 Suburban 4x4 with the 8.1 big block. I just love this thing, but practicality says that within the next year or so it may be time to say goodbye. I will not need a crew cab, a super cab will be perfect. 4x4 is a must, (don't even know why they still make 2 wheel drive trucks) as is a V-8. It will need to serve as my daily driver/work truck so comfort and drive-ability are important as I drive around 20,000-25,000k per year.

I would put a cab-high shell on it to safely store my tools and supplies. I would maybe lift just couple inches, to make it look healthier and an additional leaf on the rear is a consideration to get rid of the 1/2 ton sag.
I've never owned a Japanese vehicle, but Tundra is on my short list along with Chevy 1500, and possibly a Ford F150 although the looks on the Ford are hard to picture with a shell, and may look too boxy, but it is not out of the question.
Dodge guys no offence, but just not for me.

Comments and advice on these three trucks from owners would be appreciated, not the "my friend has a POS" etc.

Remember I DO NOT NEED TO TOW, so diesel guys need not respond ...thanks Chris